“A bit dated, lousy housekeeping” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza London Kensington

You added Crowne Plaza London Kensington to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza London Kensington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Cromwell Road | Kensington, London SW7 4ER, England (South Kensington)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #168 of 1,052 Hotels in London
Singapore, Singapore
“A bit dated, lousy housekeeping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Booked 2 Club rooms for 3 nights directly though hotel 2 months in advance, one with 2 double bed and another with King bed with request for close rooms. However, was informed only during check-in that they do not have King bed club rooms and double bed club rooms on the same level and suggested that they change the double bed club room to a deluxe room if we want our rooms on the same floor. This is ridiculous, I paid for a Club room and they feel that they are doing me a service by lowering my room class !!

Upon entry to my Club Double bed room, there is a smell of vomit. I then asked for a change of room but they said that they do not have one avaliable and can only ask housekeeping to spray some air freshener. The smell went away after the spray though. There are also stains on carpets and funiture do not look as new / clean as other Club rooms I have stayed.

The next surprise I get is that no provision of disposable bedroom slippers and that there is only 3 pieces of tissue left in my newly checked in Club room. Slippers were however later provided upon request.

Service at the Club Lounge, however, is excellent with a good selection of drinks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Girder 22
I was very soory to read that you were not able to get the rooms you believe you had booked with us. Our club rooms in fact all have one king size bed. We do not have any Club rooms with 2 double beds. Our Deluxe rooms all have 2 double beds. Our reservations team are all aware of our room types and as these are pre programmed in to our computer system, it ios not possible to book anything else. Please acept my sincre apologies if anyone gave you the impression that the two double bedded room would be a Club room rather than a Deluxe room.

Lawder Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during half term with our 4 year old. room was ver tired and a bit dated but reasonably clean. The reason I've scored cleanliness low is due to the awful smell coming from the bathroom. It smelled like drains or mustiness. Having complained (twice) they did offer to move us at 9.00pm when we were trying to settle our daughter to bed. We did move but it was only next door as it didn't seem to smell. However, the smell soon appeared in the same way. Wonder if they'd tried to spray and mask it initially. We figured it was due to the fans not working in the bathrooms. After the first night we didn't bother to complain again as we were out all day and sprayed with complimentary pillow spray?! Overall breakfast ok but if you get there towards the end of service there won't be much left as it doesn't seem to get replenished. No croissants or bacon left when we arrived at 9.30. Service was hit and miss when ordering coffee, asking for milk etc. We had a two double bed room for 3 of us. Beds a bit on the small side for a hotel of this cost but I guess that's what we booked. Beds were hard though. We thought we got a good price of £370 for 2 nights inc breakfast, given the location but wouldn't stay again. Quick lunch at Paul's across the road recommended though and it's only a short walk to museums.

Room Tip: Our smelly rooms were on 1st floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Doughgirl
I was so sorry to read of your disapppointment with your stay here. I have asked our maintenance team to identify which room you were staying in and to check that the bathroom extract fan is working properly. Please accept my sincere apologies that you had to move rooms at a time when you were putting your daughter to bed.
Our twin rooms ( which you were staying in) all have 2 standard double beds. However, for larger beds, our Club rooms and suites have either king size or super king beds.
I do hope that you will try our hotel again so that we can restore your confidence in our rooms.
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I recently spent 7 nights at this great London hotel. It was a return visit for us, as we had stayed there in 2011 while my husband was in London on business.
This trip was a vacation and we were both pleased that the hotel had remained the same since our previous visit.
We arrived early having had an overnight flight to London, and, although, we not able to enter our room as soon as we arrived, the front desk staff was more than helpful, storing our luggage etc, until we were able to check into our room.
We chose a club room on the 4th floor with a view of the back garden and were not disappointed. The room was very clean and comfortable, with a nice , large shower and tub. Having access to the Club Lounge was excellent for us, as we had breakfast there most days... nice hot eggs, sausages etc to chose from, and in the evening we were able to have drinks before dinner..
The staff were all friendly and welcoming and kindly arranged for a private car to take us to Heathrow on our final morning there. I highly recommend this hotel either for business or pleasure. We had a great time and will definitely be back next time we are in London.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Middleastgirl
I was so pleased to read from your review that you enjoyed your second visit to the hotel and that you appreciated the club room with access to our exclusive club lounge.
We look forward to welcoming you back for a third visit and a fourth ...
Torquay, Devon, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for one night only, but it is literally across the road from Gloucester Road tube, and 5 minute walk from the Natural History Museum, and maybe 20 mins to Harrod (and I'm talking about walking with a 5 year old).

The room wasnt cheap, but was large and v clean with two double beds so was ideal, and the breakfast was great.

Prioity card holders (free to join, do it online before you book) get free access to the 24 hour priority lounge of reception, with free hot and soft drinks, and computer access.

Finally, you can dump your bags their early in the morning of check in before your room is ready, save you carrying them around town, and the same on the day of check out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear PaulC 1972
Thank you for leaving feedback on your recent stay, I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit.
For the benefit of other readers, the Priority Lounge referred to is actually the Club Lounge. Access is free to all guests booking a Club room or a suite. The lounge is open 24 hours a day and offers a complimentary breakfast, hot and cold soft drinks all day and a complimentary bar and canapes early evening. Guests in Club rooms or suites also get free wi-fi throughout the hotel and use of both Mac and PC's in the Club Lounge.
Priority Club members earn points for every qualifying stay, as well as a range of other benefits depending on the level of membership.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My mother and I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza on Cromwell Rd in Kensington (Oct 26th). On arrival at 2pm there were no rooms ready for us so we popped across to Garfunkels for some lunch. When we returned an hour later there was a room ready - two double beds as requested. We had no problems coming in and going out of the hotel and we used the concierge service - they even delivered maps to our room with our bags.

The Check- In process was quite long winded with staff having to pop to see the duty manager with it seemed every check in. I also overheard some people who had booked rooms however there was no rooms in the hotel (if this makes sense) which was a bit un nerving.

Check out was similar, there were queues at the desk and people had arrived to find they had been given the wrong type of room etc. I agreed (to be seen to quickly) to have my bill sent to me via email, as we had not incurred any costs while staying. I am still waiting for my bill... although I did however last week recieve someone elses bill - complete with their address, contact details, last 4 digits of their card number and card type which I think is highly inappropriate.

Other than this a big thank you to Karim on concierge - as even though he was single handedly making bookings and running the luggage drop off he still had time for a smile and to apologise for the delays we experienced, which due to tuble lines being down, couldnt be avoided.

Dear Vikki T
Thank you for leaving a review of your stay. I was so sorry to read of the delay you experienced at both check-in and at check-out. Whilst this is not usual, there are unavoidably times when several guest arrive at the desk at the same time and have to wait whilst the guests in front are attended to by the 2 or 3 receptionists on duty.
Please accept my sincere apologies that you were sent the wrong bill, I have asked our Reception Manager to correct this right away .
Thank you for the kind comments about our concierge team, which I have passed on to them.
We look forward to being able to welcome you back on your next visit to London
Yours sincerely
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Bit of an mix up with the booking through Late Rooms but this was resolved to our complete satisfaction by the courteous staff and manager.
We travelled with my mother-in-law who is wheelchair bound.
There is no parking at this hotel and you've got little or no chance of finding on-street parking.
The entrance to the hotel has a chair lift but a member of staff needs to unlock it and there is no cover whilst waiting for this to be done.
Everywhere in the hotel is wheelchair friendly and the room had good turning space without compromising anything. The toilet had hand rails both sides and there was a wet-room shower. The only thing that may be a problem was that the bed was two standard singles pushed together, and although reasonably high, there is no adjustment to it.
The only thing that let the hotel down were the signs reminding people to not use the lifts in the event of a fire. Unfortunately the wheelchair accessible room was on the fourth floor and there was no information anywhere as to what to do in the event of a fire!
Finally, the manager told us that, for each wheelchair user, a carer stays free - Late Rooms never mentioned this!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Mickjenn 65
Thank you for your review of our hotel and the facilities avcailable for wheelchair users.
The chair lift at the front door is right on the pavement and so we are not able to erect a cover in front of it as this would project over the pavement which we are not allowed to do; I'm sorry for any inconvenience this caused you ( for the benefit of other readers, our front door is up a flight of 4 steps from the pavement.
Thank you also for highlighting the confusion with the fire procedure signage, we will ammend this to ensure all guests are clear on the method of evacuation if they are unable to use the lifts.
I do hope you will be back with us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

A very comfortable place to stay with family; very comfortable beds, well furnished, nice bathrooms. We had a room at the back overlooking a nice garden and view of kensington houses. The location was also convenient; close to lots of shops, bars, restaurants and the tube. The staff were all pleasant and helpful. The only very slight negative feature were some technical problems; the television did not completely turn off and had to be completely unplugged, the buttons on the phone for the front desk were not programmed and there was a faulty bed side light. However this did not detract from the overall pleasant experience of staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sallicap
I am sorry that you experienced some problems in your room, these should have been picked up by housekeeping before the room was given back to reception ( although the TV is designed to stay on standby - if it is unplugged, we cannot send messages to you via the tv.
I do hope you will be back with us again soon.