“Definately Recommended” 4 of 5 stars

Save 20% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #513 of 1,065 Hotels in London
“Definately Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

The Hilton @ Kensington ticked all the boxes when we looked for a middle priced hotel with a good location for the attractions of london.

Its a couple of hundred yards to the nearest tube station which made it really handy for getting around. The room was as expected. Good size, eqipped well and was clean and tidy. Booking in took a little longer than I would like but we obviously picked a busy time to arrive. Staff were friendly and helpful throughout the stay.

We booked one of Hiltons 2 night "deals" which are very competitive.

I would recommend this hotel. Your stay should be comfy, pleasant and hassle free.

Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

Although we visited this hotel a year ago, I finally am getting around to posting a review. My wife and I stayed at this hotel during the last week of August, 2006.

This is a great little hotel in a very quiet area. All we needed was a quiet, clean and comfortable place to sleep as we were out and about all day, every day. Although the building itself is a bit old and non-descript on the outside, the interior was fully remodeled and modern. The room was quite large by European standards (see photos), and had a nice flat screen TV. The bathroom was solid... with great high quality soaps and shampoos.

The staff was quite attentive and the concierge very helpful. The only issues with the hotel itself came down to cost - and not of the room itself which was quite reasonable, but the restaurants within. London is expensive, no doubt, but the Hotel greatly expands this. The breakfast buffet, for example, was high quality but cost $80 US for two people. We didn't eat at all other than the first breakfast in the hotel. Instead, we ate out at chippies or much of the time shopped at Tesco for things like sandwiches, etc. (There was no fridge in the room, so we had to eat right away.) The Tesco is a grocery store just down the street - a short 8-10 min walk - and had very reasonable prices even by US (Boston) standards.

This hotel is very well located if you want a quiet place to stay on a very posh street in the Holland Park area of town. It is right next to the Notting Hill area as well. It is located between two tube stops, though the Holland Park stop is a bit further from the hotel (10 mins or less walk), it is the one we used because it was much nicer and closer to little shops and such.

When we were lazy, we took the bus which stops directly in front of the hotel and runs 24 hours. Transport is not an issue with this location - subway rides were short and get you pretty much everywhere you need to go quickly, cleanly, and safely.

(Highly recommended that you purchase an Oyster card - a "touch and go" pass - if you plan to travel a lot on the subways and busses; there is a little newsstand down the street that sells them.)

All in all this was a great place to call "home" when touring the city. Highly recommended for those on a budget.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Food costs
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
East Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

We stayed here in two interconnecting rooms with the children in one and us in the other (50% off second room with Hilton!) and were visiting family nearby.

The hotel was in very good condition and thought the rooms looked newly refurbished and were very clean and in excellent condition. I think we were at the back of the hotel though as we had a fetching view over a load of aircon pipes!

Communal parts of the hotel were in good condition, there is a gym but we didn't use it and no pool which is a shame. The breakfast was the usual Hilton brilliant buffet breakfast with good choice, well cooked and plenty for everyone. Staff were efficient and friendly.

When booking with the central reservations they advised that no roll-away beds were available but on check-in they did have the rollaway available - so if possible I would check with the hotel before discounting it.

Location wise we thought it was excellent - the lovely leafy Holland Park is within easy walking distance and Holland Park tube is 10 mins walk away and gets you into theatreland direct in about 15-20 mins. Easy to get into central London but in a nice leafy area so not too congested.

Speaking of congestion this hotel is literally 5 meters inside the congestion zone which is a little annoying and the parking costs a bomb. If we'd known we may have looked into a nearby car park outside of the zone to save a bit of money.

All in all we would definately stay here again and think it is a great hotel.

• Liked — Location, quality of rooms and family friendliness
  • Disliked — Parking expensive and congestion zone.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

This hotel was terrible. The staff were extremely unproffesional and unhelpful. I had been traveling all night and wanted to check in at 11 am, and i was told me Hilton customer service that i could do so because the hotel was not booked/busy. It wasnt until i got irrate with the front desk staff that checked me in early. I have hitlon honors membership and they were still rude and gave me no preferential treatment.

The rooms are really small and dont have a view of anything. the hotel is not located close to any landmarks.

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

We were looking for a hotel in London and the prices made us pause. We settled on the Hilton Kensington as a compromise because it was affordable. The location was in a semi-residential area but convenient to the Tube. The accomodations were very comfortable and quiet. Our room came with a small refridgerator which was convenient. Breakfast was delicious. All around pleasant and quite satisfactory stay. BTW, it is located conveniently near a small supermarket which had sandwiches and fruit - a nice light dinner.

Stayed May 2007
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2007

We booked the Hilton London Kensington through Expedia and stayed for 4 nights.. May 18th - May 21st. I had asked Expedia for an early check in, but there was no response and when I called to ask about it, they didn't have any information. When I arrived at 11 AM, the desk clerk was able to accommodate my request and was very gracious about it. They checked me in with my Hilton Honors account, but I never saw any benefit that I know of. The hotel is in a very residential area, but within a 10 minute walk of the Holland Park Tube Stop (out the door and turn right.). There's a small supermarket which has the essentials - fruit, sandwiches, drinks and you're just minutes from a Starbucks. Bus 94 runs from the hotel to Oxford Circus. The rooms were small, but very clean and included a small fridge and lcd tv. I didn't try the continental breakfast but it looked very good and the bar / lounge was hopping every night. The walls are on the thin side so we got to hear our neighbors discussing her parents and their marital problems. They keep the hair dryer in the desk drawer vs. the bathroom. The fitness center is very nice, with 3 pieces of cardio equipment and a couple weight machines as well as a good selection of free weights. In addition there's a coed sauna and steam room. if you like to get a morning run in, the neighborhood is safe and gives you a pretty wide range of terrain. I only had two issues with the hotel. When I checked in they asked if they get my credit card to guarantee the minibar, and i asked that they turn off all credit for the room. When they did that, they locked the refrigerator using a remote control. Unfortunately I had put a soda in there, and was unable to rescue it until the morning I left. The other issue was with the Concierge, and unfortunately I didn't get his name. When I went to him for assistance in booking tours, cabs, etc. he was extremely efficient - almost to the point of being a caricature of pompous actions. However when i asked to confirm my return trib to Gatwick via Hotelink and poied out that I'd already made arrangements, he changed to simply calling and getting a confirmation number.
Neither of these had a significant negative impact on the trip or even the hotel experience.

• Liked — Quiet Neigborhood within 10 minutes of midtown London
  • Disliked — locked refridgerator
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leiden, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

This was the first time I stayed in a Hilton hotel, and although it was a good experience it fell short of the high expectations and esteem I had for the Hilton chain. In all honesty, this hotel is not remarkable for anything: not for the area it is located in (on a busy through road in a residential area about 4 km from the center), not for the exterior of the building (an average though well-maintained plain brick facade), not for the rooms or the reception area or the service provided. It is all nice and good, but the same can be found in many 3 and 4 stars hotels throughout the city.

Rooms are smallish, and bathrooms even more so. Some of the rooms were recently refurbished, with more light colors, modern lighting, and a flat screen tv as the main benefits. I've seen a non-renovated room too, and the difference was not that big so no need to make a scene when you find out you got an old one. Airconditioning works fine and the window is well isolated so hardly any noise nuisance from the busy street in front of the hotel. Beds are supersoft, and there is a selection of pillows.

I didn't take the breakfast because it was quite expensive (12 pounds for continental, 16 for British breakfast), but there are many good sandwich places close to Shepherd's Bush tube station (5 min walk) and I believe there were also a few options along the road to Holland Park tube station (10 min walk). As others have noted, the walk to Holland Park is a bit longer but nicer. But the most scenice option for going into the center is of course to stay above ground and take a real London double decker bus: lines 94 and 148 stop just opposite the hotel and run very frequently during daytime and once every half hour throughout the night.

I would not hesitate to stay again in the Hilton Kensington on my next visit to London, but this time I'll have the benefit of more realistic expectations. As long as the price is right (I paid 80 pounds per night though the hotel's website) this is a good place to stay.

• Liked — Flat screen tv
  • Disliked — Aged and messy reception area
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton London Kensington? Share your experiences!