Stayed at the Hilton London Hyde Park Hotel for 1 night in mid February. The Hotel was the third hotel which I stayed in during my week long London trip, and it was the worst.
The Queensway Station of the Central Line is right on the doorstep (Tottenham Court Road, Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations are also on the Central Line). If you are travelling to and fro Paddington Station, you can use the Bayswater Station, which is only about 100 metres from the Hotel and one stop away from Paddington Station. So the Hotel is convenient for those going to the shopping/entertainment districts or the Heathrow Airport. However, the Queensway Station is an old station where there is no escalator. Passengers will have to wait for the lift or use the 120+ steps staircase.
I arrived the Hotel at about 1:00p.m. The lobby is small and cramped which made me wonder how they are going to cope with a large group of guests. Anyway, the staff at the reception was warm and helpful and the checking in was efficient. After checking in I was informed that the room was not ready. That was not a problem and I appreciate that the concierge took the initiative to take my bags to the storeroom.
The guest room on the 3rd floor is small, it is similar to an ordinary guest room in a Japanese hotel. The size of the shower cubicle is on par with one in an ordinary European hotel but is much smaller than the one in a boutique hotel which I stayed in earlier during my London trip. Since the guest room is compact, one will have to pay more care when using the kettle for boiling water.
The exhaust fan in the bathroom, when switched on, made a lot of noice. This, coupled with the fact that the guests in the adjacent rooms were talking loudly late at night, made it difficult for me to sleep well. I was glad that I was staying at the Hotel for 1 night only.
I learned from previous reviews that the Hotel's restaurant is rather small, I therefore decided not to include breakfast when making the reservation so as to avoid the possible crowd. Eventually I have my breakfast in a McDonald's at Queensway (there are plenty of eateries at Queensway, most of them are Chinese restaurants). But when checking out the Hotel purported to charge me for a breakfast. I told the reception staff that I stayed alone, I knew no one in London and that I did not have the breakfast at the Hotel (either the restaurant staff had made a mistake or that someone had use my room number to register for the breakfast). The reception staff repeatedly asked whether it was possible that my room mate or colleague had had the breakfast. Although I understand that the reception staff was only doing her duty and the Hotel eventually did not charge me for the alleged breakfast, it was still an annoying experience. (Would someone suddenly recall that he/she did have a room mate or colleague staying in the same hotel after being asked repeatedly?)
I am sure the electronic room key card can store various data. Perhaps hotels worldwide shall consider whether the card can be used by guests not merely as a mean to open the door but as a form of identification document when using the hotel's services.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated opposite the Royal Parks of Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Enjoy relaxing walks through the park or why not visit the Royal residence of Kensington Palace which is only a few minutes walk away. Fashionable Notting Hill and Portobello Market within a short walking distance Oxford street is located 15 minutes walk from the hotel World famous department store Harrods is nearby All of London's main attractions are located within 20 minutes from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Orbitz, LondonMarketing.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hilton London Hyde Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton London Hyde Park Hotel London
- Hilton International London
- London Hilton
- Hilton London Hyde Park England