“Beware of the 'Standard Room'” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton London Hyde Park

You added Hilton London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Hilton London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Bayswater Road, London W2 4RJ, England (Notting Hill)   |
Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #538 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Beware of the 'Standard Room'”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I booked this through a third party site, where my room was listed as with a queen size bed. I was very shocked when I arrived to find a room which would make student accommodation look generous. I was informed this was a 'standard room' with a 'double bed'. I said under no circumstances would I be staying in such a tiny room when this was not as booked, and explained my booking had stated a queen size bed, not what they referred to as a 'standard room'. They said they had no record of this, but to stop me cancelling my booking and walking out they said they would move me to a queen size room, but only as they had a couple free. The room I was moved to was acceptable, but I was still very unhappy at having to debate this. I travel frequently with work, and have stayed at Hiltons among many others in many countries, and have never been so disappointed. So for anyone booking here, check which room you are being allocated before arrival. If a 'standard room' I would strongly advise booking elsewhere as these rooms are unbelievably small, and the 'double bed' is not UK double size, and not suitable for more than one person. Also, this hotel is not the normal Hilton standard in my opinion, very basic, and not what you expect of a Hilton.

I have to say the location is great though, a great area of London near many restaurants, several tube stations, and the wonderful Hyde Park. I would recommend staying at the DoubleTree 100 metres away though, I have stayed here previously, this is owned by Hilton but actually the standard you expect of such a brand, and infinitely superior.

Stayed July 2014
HydeParkHotelManager, Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the honest feedback you provided regarding the service you received during your stay with us and I am sorry about the confusion upon your check in about the room type booked which I have shared with our reservations team.
I am happy that you enjoyed our location and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the near future so you can see the improvements we are making.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stayed here when visiting London to watch the Marathon. Was a great location for us but the hotel is a bit dated and the room was very small and not what i would expect from a Hilton. The breakfast was very good and there was nothing wrong with the service from the staff. Being right opposite the gates to Hyde Park was perfect for us.
Overall not over welmed by the hotel as its a past its best but great central London location

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience at Hilton London Hyde Park. I appreciate your good feedback about our breakfast service and I am happy that you found our location very useful for your trip. I am sorry however to hear that you found your room small and a bit dated. You will be happy to know that we are currently going through a full renovation so I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and enjoy one of our fully renovated bedrooms.

Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Hard to beat Hilton for service and comfort. The hotel is in a great location across from Hyde Park and close to the Underground Hyde Park Station. My room was good size, bright, and clean with a great view.

Behind the hotel are several restaurants to enjoy.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
HydeParkHotelManager, Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I was delighted to read your comments on the room and service.

We hope you will return in the future.

Kind Regards

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The hotel has a perfect location: Hyde Park infront of the door, two underground / metro stations for different lines around the corner, bus stop near by, as well as a large variaty of restaurants and small super markets .... The hotel itself is nice - making the best of an old building - the rooms are clean and efficient - we upgraded this time, which was a good decision to have air condition in the room! Bathroom a bid small - but all brand new and everything there, you need. The staff is very very friendly, competent and always helpful ... we had a room rate without breakfast - so we can´t give any feedback on the food.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience of your time at the Hilton London Hyde Park. I am glad to see you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our team very very friendly.

We do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We had a standard double room. The room was old, but well maintained. The air-con was a bit noisy, but with the opportunity to open the windows to a quiet back yard we didn't care too much. However stained towels and bed linen lowers my score on this hotel to average.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the feedback that you provided regarding the service you received during your stay with us.
I am sorry to hear that this stay did not meet the expectations you have of the Hilton Brand. At Hilton London Hyde Park, we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our hotel, I have fed your comments back to the hotels Head Housekeeper to ensure that the levels of cleanliness offered does not slip from the usual high standards that we aim to achieve.
thank you once again for staying with us. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the near future.

Harun Gagli
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely disgusted with this hotel. DO NOT STAY HERE. PLEASE read my review. An unfortunate fire happened during the first night of my stay however there were NO FIRE ALARMS WORKING ON MY FLOOR. As a result, I didn't evacuate the hotel until 40 minutes AFTER fire fighters came on the scene. No one knocked on my door to say there was a fire, and I only was able to hear the alarm when I opened my door and walked out into the hallway and heard it from another floor. My life was seriously jeopardised that night and the hotel has made no attempt since to take responsibility or apologise for the alarms not working. I had to make alternative arrangements for accommodation and couldn't stay for the first night as I was too afraid to sleep in my room knowing the fire alarms were not working. I notified the hotel of this before I left to stay elsewhere for the night.

I came back to the hotel and stayed here the following night, the fire alarms were repaired but the hotel and dining room stunk of smoke (the fire was in the basement).

Upon checkout I was charged the full length of my stay- even though several members of hotel staff were aware that I did not sleep there due to the fire. Why was I charged? I understand fires are unpredictable but to not even have FIRE ALARMS WORKING!?!?!? Since writing to the general manager, he has been completely unapologetic about what happened and totally ungraceful in accepting his wrongs. It is actually ILLEGAL not to have working fire alarms. The fire alarms weren't even fixed until the next day yet he claims it was safe for me to sleep there.

I have not been compensated for since my stay, and I am absolutely disgusted at the Hilton hotel's lack of understanding what is a very serious situation. Had I been hurt or even killed, would they take responsibility for their faults? The care factor is absolute zero.

DO NOT STAY HERE. THE HOTEL CARES MORE ABOUT MONEY THAN THE SAFETY OF ITS PATRONS! Absolutely disgusting and very disappointing for a hilton hotel. I just cannot believe the manager has not even apologised for the fire alarms not working, not only me but other people on my floor could have lost their lives. He needs to take the matter more seriously. People's lives were at stake and he cares more about money than recognising this.

• Stayed June 2014
HydeParkHotelManager, Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
“Dear Maddison B,

I am very sorry to hear that this stay with us did not match your expectations on this occasion.

I would like to reassure you that the safety and security of our guests is of paramount importance to us and we operate stringent procedures in co-operation with the local authorities in the event of any emergency.

I confirm that I have also received your letter directly addressed to me and have responded accordingly. My contact details are contained within and I encourage you to contact me personally if I can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,
Hotel Manager”
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

First off I have to say that the staff were great, as most have been at every Hilton or Hilton property I have stayed in over the years. They even went above and beyond. I ended up arriving a bit early and my room wasn't quite ready yet. After waiting around for a while I mention that I needed to get cleaned up and be somewhere. They let me use an empty room to take a shower and then stored my bags for me when I left. When I returned my room was ready with my bags delivered. I had a couple of other issues while I was there and the they went all out to help me with whatever I needed. I can't compliment them enough.
The location is great. Directly across from Hyde Park which is nice. I was there for a British Summer Time concert at the park. The Queensway tube stop is next door which is very convenient.
The room was nice and clean. I think it had been recently updated. Due to some personal circumstances I ended up getting an additional room the second night and I don't think it had been refurbished. Not bad but a bit tired.
Breakfast was pretty standard for Hilton. A buffet with most of the usual staples.
My only complaint is that waiting for the elevator. It could sometimes take a while. A minor issue at best though.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
HydeParkHotelManager, Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the kind feedback you provided regarding the service you received during your stay with us. I am thrilled to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay at Hilton London Hyde Park and especially with the great comments regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff. Rest assured that I will share your feedback with the hotel team who will be greatly encouraged by your positive review.

Thank you for staying with us and I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.