“Superb hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton London Hyde Park

You added Hilton London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Hilton London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Bayswater Road, London W2 4RJ, England (Notting Hill)   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale - Save 30%
Ranked #541 of 1,052 Hotels in London
Portsmouth
“Superb hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

First and foremost, as most reviewers have mentioned is that the location of this hotel could not be bettered. With 2 tube stops within 1 minute away on different lines, you can pretty much travel to any attraction in the capital with real ease. This is why we always stay in Bayswater. After the nearby Umi increased it's prices to an unrealistic level, we decided to take a chance here.

Our arrival was met with a friendly and warm welcome. Check-in was quick and painless and our room was ready immediately. The room itself was very compact, but this is always to be expected for a budget hotel. Most importantly, it was spotlessly clean, comfortable and modern. There were complimentary tea and coffee making facilites, as well as an iron, hairdryer and a decent sized tub for bathing and showering.

A special mention must go to the breakfast facilities. On offer was an extensive buffet, with everything you could imagine. We went for the hearty full English both days - absolutely delicious. If this is not your thing however, there was fruit, cereal, continental, waffels - the list goes on!

On the final day, we treated ourselves to a minicab to the station, which a member of staff kindly organised for us.

I must say I'm very suprised to read some of the negative reviews about this place. Whilst I respect the opinions of others, I could not find a single fault with this hotel and quite frankly it punched well above it's weight for the budget cost. Following many stays in various hotels in this area, the Hilton wins hands down. We very much look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HydeParkHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear George P,

Many thanks for your kind review of your visit to Hilton London Hyde Park, it is always encouraging to hear such a positive valuation of the services and facilities we have on offer for our guests. I have shared your feedback with the team who were delighted with your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The location of this hotel is ideal on the north side of Hyde Park, well Kensington Gardens more accurately and right next door to Queensway tube station and when you enter the reception area it has all the normal expectations of a Hilton Hotel, well trained staff and clean. However that is where it stops.

The bar area is attractive with stained glass showing its age and has a small but well stocked bar but it was like a sauna (maybe a not so subtle ploy to get you to purchase more drinks). Drink prices are high, be warned and 12.5% service charge is levied.

Next to the bar area is the retaurant although I use the term loosely. I ate breakfast from the buffet there which was adequate but I certainly would not consider dinner as it gives the impression of having a tiny kitchen that caters for low cost guests (I may be wrong of course).

Rooms are typically Hilton (although I did have the privilege of a Superior Room) but because of the age only have secondary glazing which doesn't keep too much of the Bayswater Road traffic out. However, the heat in them is unbearable especially as the air conditioning was not working. The secondary glazing did nothing to help the situation as attempts to open the windows met with some frustration and exacerbated the Bayswater Road traffic noise. I am also glad that I tested the temperature of the shower before getting under it or I would surely have received 2nd degree burns.

All-in-all I have stayed in lower priced London Hotels than this and had a much better experience. Back to Doubletree next time!!

Room Tip: Get a superior room if you can afford it
Dear Archie58UK,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton London Hyde Park. I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with the heating systems in the room. The hotel offers heating from the central heating in our rooms, as well as a separate it cooling system both of which our guests can control. If you had let us know, I am sure my team would have been able to assist you in finding a comfortable temperature for you. I can appreciate your comments regarding the bar charges, however these are in line with those in the local area.

One a more positive note, I was pleased that you found the service from our staff, in particular the Front Desk team, welcoming and efficient. I am sure the team will be positively encouraged by your comments.

Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope to see you again at the hotel soon.

Rome
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This Hilton Hotel is well located right in front of Hyde Park between Marble Arch and Notting Hill. It is also very close to the tube station.
Even if it belongs to the Hilton chain is not a luxurious Hotel, it could be considered as a very good 3 stars hotel guaranteed by Hilton. The lobby is very small, the rooms are confortable, frendly staff and acceptable breakfast.
Choice this Hotel for the location, for the clean rooms but do not expect anything else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We visited London this past April, and after a lot of searching around we decided to stay at the Hilton Hyde Park. We had read many reviews and they were kind of "all over the lot". First, let me say the hotel is located directly above the tube stop. That is a tremendous asset to for starters. Warning, the tube stop does not have an elevator (lift) to street level. So if you have two 50 lb. suitcases, dragging them up three flights of stairs can be a pretty good workout! The hotel is right around the corner from the tube entrance. We expect European hotels to be a little cramped and yet found our room to be adequate. A step above cramped at least. The rooms were clean very nice. We were on the second floor and had a nice view of the park looking down the entrance towards Kensington Palace. Our plan included breakfast which was wonderful. As we were out on the town the entire day, we pretty much ate our fill at the breakfast buffet and didn't eat until supper save for a snack once in a while It saved us a good deal of money on meals and it was very, very good. The staff was extremely helpfull. They gave us a lot of informaiton and local knowledge. We used them as a resource every day. If you like to walk, as we do, you can walk to a lot of great attractions: Hyde Park and Kensington Palace are literally across the street. Portobello Road is just 5 blocks away. You are very close to Notting Hill We walked to Paddington Station one day and it was no big deal. Of course Queensway is a vibrant area to walk around in also. I enjoyed our stay. I wasn't bothered by the street noise. I found the room to be fine. The breakfast and staff to be the best. I guess you figured out that I recommend this place highly!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park. You will love the view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Weston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is NO Hilton. The rooms are small, the furniture is cheap, the shower is barely big enough to turn around in, no shelf in the shower for shampoo, etc. The fixtures are old and many are coming apart. The lobby is dirty, small and the restaurant and bar are IN THE BASEMENT. This is advertised as a 4 star hotel, that is a complete joke.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HydeParkHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear WinsorTraveler,

I am sorry to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations on your recent stay. Hilton London Hyde Park was built in 1905, being an old building this does bring some structural challenges, however we are proud to service this iconic location. As a historic building we do get good compliments regarding the character of the hotel though I appreciate this may not be to everyone’s taste. I understand you booked a single room which, due to the restrictions of the building, are smaller than our standard guest rooms. Had you informed one of our team members we would have been more than happy to find an alternative room you were more comfortable in. In addition, I would like highlight that our restaurant is located on the ground floor of the hotel, through the lobby entrance.

I would like to welcome you back to us so you can experience the hotel in a better light, please feel free to contact me at harun.dagli@hilton.com should you plan to return and I will ensure your next experience with us is a more positive one.

helsinki
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a business traveller I expect a certain level from Hilton Hotels. The experience in London Hyde Park has taught me not to expect a very high quality. The check in began with a relentless upselling by the check in clerk to a room with a view of the park instead of my standard room. When I looked at the room and decided to stay with my original rate, I was instead placed into a room at the same rate, just looking at a terrible view.

The common areas of the hotel were saturated with a noxious chemical fume (I think it was the cleaning fluid used for the carpets in the hotel) and I had to air my room out every time upon entering to try to eliminate the odour.

There was a light bulb in the toilet that would Not. Stop. Blinking and although I asked it to be looked at twice, the light was still blinking upon checkout five days later, with the insistence that maintenance had looked at it twice. Looking is not the same as fixing, and nothing screams "cheap roadside motel" than slowly blinking malfunctioning lights in the hotel room.

This all came to a head when I discovered the mischarging of my room at the higher rate upon checkout, and when I asked for the charges to be resolved, the daily room rate was indeed lowered; however the upgrade fees were instead tacked on as a separate line item, so I ended up paying the same price!

If I can ever be persuaded to stay in a Hilton again, I might consider Hilton Paddington nearby, but never again this instance of the franchise. As my colleague commented when I told my story to him, "London Hyde Park?! I only stay there when someone's trying to punish me!" Next time Radisson will be my next business trip choice for a consistent standard

Room Tip: Triple check your rate, and be aware that the rooms on the first floor that do not overlook a nosy s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HydeParkHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear daravida,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience with us at Hilton London Hyde Park.

I was sorry to hear that this experience did not match you expectations on this stay. I do understand that my Guest Relations Manager has been in contact with you to rectify your issues and I hope that he has been able to resolve this to your satisfaction.

We do hope that you may give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again sometime soon.

Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Good location, next to Tube station. Comfort is average, breakfast was very good. The hotel is nothing to get wild about, but OK. It was a good starting point visiting the city. Prices are rather high, but I guess it's due to London.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back side
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear fvanvlem,

I was pleased that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found our breakfast of an excellent standard. I do agree that hotel offer a great base to explore all that London has to offer with the great transport links we have on the hotels door step.

We would welcome the chance to host you again for any future visits to London you may have.

Kind regards,