“Good location average hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton London Hyde Park

You added Hilton London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Hilton London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Bayswater Road, London W2 4RJ, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #535 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Rome
“Good location average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This Hilton Hotel is well located right in front of Hyde Park between Marble Arch and Notting Hill. It is also very close to the tube station.
Even if it belongs to the Hilton chain is not a luxurious Hotel, it could be considered as a very good 3 stars hotel guaranteed by Hilton. The lobby is very small, the rooms are confortable, frendly staff and acceptable breakfast.
Choice this Hotel for the location, for the clean rooms but do not expect anything else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We visited London this past April, and after a lot of searching around we decided to stay at the Hilton Hyde Park. We had read many reviews and they were kind of "all over the lot". First, let me say the hotel is located directly above the tube stop. That is a tremendous asset to for starters. Warning, the tube stop does not have an elevator (lift) to street level. So if you have two 50 lb. suitcases, dragging them up three flights of stairs can be a pretty good workout! The hotel is right around the corner from the tube entrance. We expect European hotels to be a little cramped and yet found our room to be adequate. A step above cramped at least. The rooms were clean very nice. We were on the second floor and had a nice view of the park looking down the entrance towards Kensington Palace. Our plan included breakfast which was wonderful. As we were out on the town the entire day, we pretty much ate our fill at the breakfast buffet and didn't eat until supper save for a snack once in a while It saved us a good deal of money on meals and it was very, very good. The staff was extremely helpfull. They gave us a lot of informaiton and local knowledge. We used them as a resource every day. If you like to walk, as we do, you can walk to a lot of great attractions: Hyde Park and Kensington Palace are literally across the street. Portobello Road is just 5 blocks away. You are very close to Notting Hill We walked to Paddington Station one day and it was no big deal. Of course Queensway is a vibrant area to walk around in also. I enjoyed our stay. I wasn't bothered by the street noise. I found the room to be fine. The breakfast and staff to be the best. I guess you figured out that I recommend this place highly!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park. You will love the view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Weston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is NO Hilton. The rooms are small, the furniture is cheap, the shower is barely big enough to turn around in, no shelf in the shower for shampoo, etc. The fixtures are old and many are coming apart. The lobby is dirty, small and the restaurant and bar are IN THE BASEMENT. This is advertised as a 4 star hotel, that is a complete joke.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HydeParkHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear WinsorTraveler,

I am sorry to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations on your recent stay. Hilton London Hyde Park was built in 1905, being an old building this does bring some structural challenges, however we are proud to service this iconic location. As a historic building we do get good compliments regarding the character of the hotel though I appreciate this may not be to everyone’s taste. I understand you booked a single room which, due to the restrictions of the building, are smaller than our standard guest rooms. Had you informed one of our team members we would have been more than happy to find an alternative room you were more comfortable in. In addition, I would like highlight that our restaurant is located on the ground floor of the hotel, through the lobby entrance.

I would like to welcome you back to us so you can experience the hotel in a better light, please feel free to contact me at harun.dagli@hilton.com should you plan to return and I will ensure your next experience with us is a more positive one.

helsinki
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a business traveller I expect a certain level from Hilton Hotels. The experience in London Hyde Park has taught me not to expect a very high quality. The check in began with a relentless upselling by the check in clerk to a room with a view of the park instead of my standard room. When I looked at the room and decided to stay with my original rate, I was instead placed into a room at the same rate, just looking at a terrible view.

The common areas of the hotel were saturated with a noxious chemical fume (I think it was the cleaning fluid used for the carpets in the hotel) and I had to air my room out every time upon entering to try to eliminate the odour.

There was a light bulb in the toilet that would Not. Stop. Blinking and although I asked it to be looked at twice, the light was still blinking upon checkout five days later, with the insistence that maintenance had looked at it twice. Looking is not the same as fixing, and nothing screams "cheap roadside motel" than slowly blinking malfunctioning lights in the hotel room.

This all came to a head when I discovered the mischarging of my room at the higher rate upon checkout, and when I asked for the charges to be resolved, the daily room rate was indeed lowered; however the upgrade fees were instead tacked on as a separate line item, so I ended up paying the same price!

If I can ever be persuaded to stay in a Hilton again, I might consider Hilton Paddington nearby, but never again this instance of the franchise. As my colleague commented when I told my story to him, "London Hyde Park?! I only stay there when someone's trying to punish me!" Next time Radisson will be my next business trip choice for a consistent standard

Room Tip: Triple check your rate, and be aware that the rooms on the first floor that do not overlook a nosy s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HydeParkHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear daravida,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience with us at Hilton London Hyde Park.

I was sorry to hear that this experience did not match you expectations on this stay. I do understand that my Guest Relations Manager has been in contact with you to rectify your issues and I hope that he has been able to resolve this to your satisfaction.

We do hope that you may give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again sometime soon.

Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Good location, next to Tube station. Comfort is average, breakfast was very good. The hotel is nothing to get wild about, but OK. It was a good starting point visiting the city. Prices are rather high, but I guess it's due to London.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back side
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear fvanvlem,

I was pleased that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found our breakfast of an excellent standard. I do agree that hotel offer a great base to explore all that London has to offer with the great transport links we have on the hotels door step.

We would welcome the chance to host you again for any future visits to London you may have.

Kind regards,

Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently spent a number of nights in this hotel for business. Overall, the hotel looks tired and badly in need of renovations. My room and bathroom were adequate, but nothing exciting. Prices are high for a hotel that feels more like a 3 star.

Internet access is extra, and after paying for one day's access, I couldn't log on due to "technical difficulties". I was assured this would be removed from the bill, but it was not, and I had to ask to have to removed when I checked out.

Another nasty surprise on checkout was an unauthorised bar bill on my account. When the slip was retrieved, I found my name and room number in someone else's handwriting, together with a fake signature. After querying this the amount was removed, but surprisingly the manager was not particularly apologetic, considering that this must have been an inside job - nobody else knew that my name went with my room number.

Overall, an experience that left a bitter taste in my mouth.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear BD8J,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hilton London Hyde Park.

I was saddened to hear of the issues that you encountered during your stay at the hotel. It is my understanding that our Guest Relations Manager has been in contact with you regarding your comments and I trust that he will assist in resolving this for you.

I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to host you again on a future trip to London and see the changes we are making at the hotel.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We have just had a two night stay here. Our room (110) on the first floor was clean, roomy and had a good view of Hyde Park. On a previous review someone had complained about road and tube noise??!! Ummm it's on a main road! BUT the windows had a second inner window which blocks out the noise almost completely! As for the tube noises...nope and we'd have heard it for sure being on the first floor! We only ate breakfast here and not dinner. Breakfast was ok, in the main dining room tables were quite crammed in, a few inches between each table. We ate in there the first morning, then in the 'bar' the second. A bit better, but table was very small so not able to fit plates, cups, coffee/tea pots. Both mornings people were having to queue and wait for a table and were being asked if they didn't mind sharing a table with other people. For the size hotel, they definitely need a larger dining room. All in all, it was clean and if I had to stay there again I probably would, but I have stayed in better hotels.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front of the hotel are nicer as you have a better view across Hyde Park.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Debbie C

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed you stay with us at the hotel and in particular enjoyed the great views the hotel has to offer of the Park. I am sorry that your experience at breakfast was not as smooth as usual. We will certainly be monitoring this situation to ensure that these instances are avoided.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!