As a business traveller I expect a certain level from Hilton Hotels. The experience in London Hyde Park has taught me not to expect a very high quality. The check in began with a relentless upselling by the check in clerk to a room with a view of the park instead of my standard room. When I looked at the room and decided to stay with my original rate, I was instead placed into a room at the same rate, just looking at a terrible view.
The common areas of the hotel were saturated with a noxious chemical fume (I think it was the cleaning fluid used for the carpets in the hotel) and I had to air my room out every time upon entering to try to eliminate the odour.
There was a light bulb in the toilet that would Not. Stop. Blinking and although I asked it to be looked at twice, the light was still blinking upon checkout five days later, with the insistence that maintenance had looked at it twice. Looking is not the same as fixing, and nothing screams "cheap roadside motel" than slowly blinking malfunctioning lights in the hotel room.
This all came to a head when I discovered the mischarging of my room at the higher rate upon checkout, and when I asked for the charges to be resolved, the daily room rate was indeed lowered; however the upgrade fees were instead tacked on as a separate line item, so I ended up paying the same price!
If I can ever be persuaded to stay in a Hilton again, I might consider Hilton Paddington nearby, but never again this instance of the franchise. As my colleague commented when I told my story to him, "London Hyde Park?! I only stay there when someone's trying to punish me!" Next time Radisson will be my next business trip choice for a consistent standard
- Also Known As:
- Hilton London Hyde Park Hotel London
- Hilton London Hyde Park Hotel
- Hilton International London
- Hilton London
- London Hilton
- Hilton London Hyde Park England
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Step outside the Hilton London Hyde Park hotel to enjoy the delights of London's favourite Royal Park. Feast on international cuisine in The Dining Room restaurant at the Hilton London Hyde Park hotel or drop by the Library Lounge bar for a nightcap. The Hilton London Hyde Park hotel is 1 mile from Oxford Street and the West End. Hire a pedalo at the Serpentine boating lake in Hyde Park, right outside the hotel. 35 minutes' drive from Heathrow Airport, the Hilton London Hyde Park hotel offers 2 meeting rooms for 2-100 and a business centre. From Hilton Rooms to Deluxe Rooms, all guest rooms have high-speed internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere, Hilton Hotels, Olotels, Priceline, Tingo and HotelsClick so you can book your Hilton London Hyde Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.