As a business traveller I expect a certain level from Hilton Hotels. The experience in London Hyde Park has taught me not to expect a very high quality. The check in began with a relentless upselling by the check in clerk to a room with a view of the park instead of my standard room. When I looked at the room and decided to stay with my original rate, I was instead placed into a room at the same rate, just looking at a terrible view.
The common areas of the hotel were saturated with a noxious chemical fume (I think it was the cleaning fluid used for the carpets in the hotel) and I had to air my room out every time upon entering to try to eliminate the odour.
There was a light bulb in the toilet that would Not. Stop. Blinking and although I asked it to be looked at twice, the light was still blinking upon checkout five days later, with the insistence that maintenance had looked at it twice. Looking is not the same as fixing, and nothing screams "cheap roadside motel" than slowly blinking malfunctioning lights in the hotel room.
This all came to a head when I discovered the mischarging of my room at the higher rate upon checkout, and when I asked for the charges to be resolved, the daily room rate was indeed lowered; however the upgrade fees were instead tacked on as a separate line item, so I ended up paying the same price!
If I can ever be persuaded to stay in a Hilton again, I might consider Hilton Paddington nearby, but never again this instance of the franchise. As my colleague commented when I told my story to him, "London Hyde Park?! I only stay there when someone's trying to punish me!" Next time Radisson will be my next business trip choice for a consistent standard
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton London Hyde Park offers a prime location overlooking Britain's most famous park at the entrance of Kensington Palace. Conveniently located in Bayswater, this traditional townhouse hotel is adjacent to two underground stations, Queensway and Bayswater, servicing the Central, Circle and District lines. All of London's key destinations are within 20 minutes travel from the hotel. Originally built as the Coburg Court Hotel in 1907, this grade II listed Edwardian Townhouse later changed to the Coburg Hotel in the early 1960's. In keeping with the hotel's tradition, guest rooms are elegantly designed with a classic twist, keeping the modern traveler in mind. Whether it is shopping, sightseeing or business that brings you to London, we aim to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere. With London's favourite Royal Park situated right in front of the hotel, enjoy a jog or a relaxing walk in Hyde Park. The Kensington Palace, Serpentine Lake, and Diana Memorial fountain also offer interesting places to visit. You will also reach the shopping district (Oxford Street) within minutes, as well as Portobello Antiques Market and Harrods. Hilton London Hyde Park offers relaxed dining in the Library Lounge and is based in the bustling Bayswater District, bordered by Edgware Road, Kensington, and Notting Hill which are all known for their international gastronomic influences. All 132 guest rooms and our two meeting rooms for up to 100 guests offer wireless internet access. New Hilton Worldwide Cancellation policies: no cancellation charges until 1 day prior to arrival, 11:59pm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Hilton London Hyde Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton London Hyde Park Hotel London
- Hilton International London
- London Hilton
- Hilton London Hyde Park England