“Actively damages the Hilton brand; business travellers stay somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton London Hyde Park

You added Hilton London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Hilton London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Bayswater Road, London W2 4RJ, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #543 of 1,063 Hotels in London
helsinki
“Actively damages the Hilton brand; business travellers stay somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a business traveller I expect a certain level from Hilton Hotels. The experience in London Hyde Park has taught me not to expect a very high quality. The check in began with a relentless upselling by the check in clerk to a room with a view of the park instead of my standard room. When I looked at the room and decided to stay with my original rate, I was instead placed into a room at the same rate, just looking at a terrible view.

The common areas of the hotel were saturated with a noxious chemical fume (I think it was the cleaning fluid used for the carpets in the hotel) and I had to air my room out every time upon entering to try to eliminate the odour.

There was a light bulb in the toilet that would Not. Stop. Blinking and although I asked it to be looked at twice, the light was still blinking upon checkout five days later, with the insistence that maintenance had looked at it twice. Looking is not the same as fixing, and nothing screams "cheap roadside motel" than slowly blinking malfunctioning lights in the hotel room.

This all came to a head when I discovered the mischarging of my room at the higher rate upon checkout, and when I asked for the charges to be resolved, the daily room rate was indeed lowered; however the upgrade fees were instead tacked on as a separate line item, so I ended up paying the same price!

If I can ever be persuaded to stay in a Hilton again, I might consider Hilton Paddington nearby, but never again this instance of the franchise. As my colleague commented when I told my story to him, "London Hyde Park?! I only stay there when someone's trying to punish me!" Next time Radisson will be my next business trip choice for a consistent standard

Room Tip: Triple check your rate, and be aware that the rooms on the first floor that do not overlook a nosy s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HydeParkHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear daravida,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience with us at Hilton London Hyde Park.

I was sorry to hear that this experience did not match you expectations on this stay. I do understand that my Guest Relations Manager has been in contact with you to rectify your issues and I hope that he has been able to resolve this to your satisfaction.

We do hope that you may give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again sometime soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Good location, next to Tube station. Comfort is average, breakfast was very good. The hotel is nothing to get wild about, but OK. It was a good starting point visiting the city. Prices are rather high, but I guess it's due to London.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back side
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear fvanvlem,

I was pleased that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found our breakfast of an excellent standard. I do agree that hotel offer a great base to explore all that London has to offer with the great transport links we have on the hotels door step.

We would welcome the chance to host you again for any future visits to London you may have.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently spent a number of nights in this hotel for business. Overall, the hotel looks tired and badly in need of renovations. My room and bathroom were adequate, but nothing exciting. Prices are high for a hotel that feels more like a 3 star.

Internet access is extra, and after paying for one day's access, I couldn't log on due to "technical difficulties". I was assured this would be removed from the bill, but it was not, and I had to ask to have to removed when I checked out.

Another nasty surprise on checkout was an unauthorised bar bill on my account. When the slip was retrieved, I found my name and room number in someone else's handwriting, together with a fake signature. After querying this the amount was removed, but surprisingly the manager was not particularly apologetic, considering that this must have been an inside job - nobody else knew that my name went with my room number.

Overall, an experience that left a bitter taste in my mouth.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear BD8J,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hilton London Hyde Park.

I was saddened to hear of the issues that you encountered during your stay at the hotel. It is my understanding that our Guest Relations Manager has been in contact with you regarding your comments and I trust that he will assist in resolving this for you.

I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to host you again on a future trip to London and see the changes we are making at the hotel.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We have just had a two night stay here. Our room (110) on the first floor was clean, roomy and had a good view of Hyde Park. On a previous review someone had complained about road and tube noise??!! Ummm it's on a main road! BUT the windows had a second inner window which blocks out the noise almost completely! As for the tube noises...nope and we'd have heard it for sure being on the first floor! We only ate breakfast here and not dinner. Breakfast was ok, in the main dining room tables were quite crammed in, a few inches between each table. We ate in there the first morning, then in the 'bar' the second. A bit better, but table was very small so not able to fit plates, cups, coffee/tea pots. Both mornings people were having to queue and wait for a table and were being asked if they didn't mind sharing a table with other people. For the size hotel, they definitely need a larger dining room. All in all, it was clean and if I had to stay there again I probably would, but I have stayed in better hotels.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front of the hotel are nicer as you have a better view across Hyde Park.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Debbie C

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed you stay with us at the hotel and in particular enjoyed the great views the hotel has to offer of the Park. I am sorry that your experience at breakfast was not as smooth as usual. We will certainly be monitoring this situation to ensure that these instances are avoided.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Hants
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel overlooks the Park but that's about the best that can be said for it. We arrived having phoned ahead to ask for a twin-bedded room, rather than a double, which seemed to cause some difficulties and eventually we were allocated a room although I am not sure that the upgrade to a Deluxe room from a standard, which was part of the deal when we booked, was in fact a reality. It is hard to imagine what could have been more standard than the room we got, which was quite small, some fittings shabby and the beds like concrete shelves. The room service was expensive and not very appetising, but we ordered breakfast in our room for the next morning, to arrive between 7.30 and 8. This arrived at around 8.20, after a call at about 7.55 apologising for the lateness and assuring us breakfast would be with us "in a few minutes". Almost everything we had ordered was lacking, including organge juice, which came 20 minutes later. The toast, plonked on a dish, was flabby before it got to us, and there were no plates at all. One ofnthe worst hotel experiences I have ever endured.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Angelcake_10

I am sorry that your stay with us fell below our usual standards of service. I would like to assure you corrective measures have been up in place to avoid such instances of disappointment reoccurring with our room service orders.

Thank you also for your comments regarding the room, please be advised that we currently have a room care programme implemented at the hotel to help improve the quality of the accommodations we offer to our guests.

I hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this stay and we hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon.

Mandal, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

A central located hotel with smiling, polite, serviceminded staff, terrific breakfast with the most perfect bacon I've ever tasted, good rooms and central location. What more can you ask for at a family holiday? I will return for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HydeParkHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Roger D,

Many thanks for the lovely review of the hotel. My team were greatly encouraged by your positive comments and I am glad they, and the bacon, made your stay with us an enjoyable one.

I do hope to entertain you sometime again soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

A lovely old style hotel beside Kensington Gardens within Hyde Park. My gardens.
Very easy walk to Oxford Street, beside or is it on top of the tube station. Thank goodness trains don't run all night - the tube rumbles below.
Good breakfast in a very lovely dining room -- not an opulent breakfast - but what is needed.
The twin room received some sun and made up fir the typical Hilton appointments in a room decidedly tired. Bathroom was functional and a 3star hotel in Russia would have less broken tiles and no ingrained dirt.
Despite all thisI enjoyed my stay -- access to the park was appreciated

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear RKensington,

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel and its convenient access to Hyde Park. As a traditional building I am glad you liked the character we have tried to retain. It may interest you to know we are constantly trying to update areas of the hotel, in particular those mentioned.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel once again sometime soon.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!