“Good location, but lacks service and style” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton London Hyde Park

Save Saved
You added Hilton London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Hilton London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 Bayswater Road, London W2 4RJ, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale - Save 33%
Ranked #524 of 1,073 hotels in London
Hants
“Good location, but lacks service and style”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel overlooks the Park but that's about the best that can be said for it. We arrived having phoned ahead to ask for a twin-bedded room, rather than a double, which seemed to cause some difficulties and eventually we were allocated a room although I am not sure that the upgrade to a Deluxe room from a standard, which was part of the deal when we booked, was in fact a reality. It is hard to imagine what could have been more standard than the room we got, which was quite small, some fittings shabby and the beds like concrete shelves. The room service was expensive and not very appetising, but we ordered breakfast in our room for the next morning, to arrive between 7.30 and 8. This arrived at around 8.20, after a call at about 7.55 apologising for the lateness and assuring us breakfast would be with us "in a few minutes". Almost everything we had ordered was lacking, including organge juice, which came 20 minutes later. The toast, plonked on a dish, was flabby before it got to us, and there were no plates at all. One ofnthe worst hotel experiences I have ever endured.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HydeParkHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Angelcake_10

I am sorry that your stay with us fell below our usual standards of service. I would like to assure you corrective measures have been up in place to avoid such instances of disappointment reoccurring with our room service orders.

Thank you also for your comments regarding the room, please be advised that we currently have a room care programme implemented at the hotel to help improve the quality of the accommodations we offer to our guests.

I hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this stay and we hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon.

Kind Regards,

946 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Turkish first
Mandal, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

A central located hotel with smiling, polite, serviceminded staff, terrific breakfast with the most perfect bacon I've ever tasted, good rooms and central location. What more can you ask for at a family holiday? I will return for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HydeParkHotelManager, General Manager at Hilton London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Roger D,

Many thanks for the lovely review of the hotel. My team were greatly encouraged by your positive comments and I am glad they, and the bacon, made your stay with us an enjoyable one.

I do hope to entertain you sometime again soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

A lovely old style hotel beside Kensington Gardens within Hyde Park. My gardens.
Very easy walk to Oxford Street, beside or is it on top of the tube station. Thank goodness trains don't run all night - the tube rumbles below.
Good breakfast in a very lovely dining room -- not an opulent breakfast - but what is needed.
The twin room received some sun and made up fir the typical Hilton appointments in a room decidedly tired. Bathroom was functional and a 3star hotel in Russia would have less broken tiles and no ingrained dirt.
Despite all thisI enjoyed my stay -- access to the park was appreciated

Dear RKensington,

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel and its convenient access to Hyde Park. As a traditional building I am glad you liked the character we have tried to retain. It may interest you to know we are constantly trying to update areas of the hotel, in particular those mentioned.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel once again sometime soon.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I've been staying at various Hilton hotels around central London and this one appears to have the most attentive staff and always treat me very well.
Whilst the rooms aren't the biggest, they have everything you will need. The location is perfect for my needs as the central line is directly below the hotel and allows me to get to all of our offices quickly both morning and evening. I am a fairly light sleeper, but the noise levels have never bothered me.
Breakfast is varied and served with a smile. All in all a practical place to stay for business.

Dear Spridge,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton London Hyde Park. It is always comforting to hear such positive comments regarding the service provided by our team. I agree that the hotels location is very convenient allowing easy access to the city via the great public transport links nearby.

We look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Formerly the Ramada, now a Hilton and soon to be a Doubletree. Actually the room is sized like a typical US hotel room so, since it is three US brands, I suppose it would be expected. Flat screen TV, good sized bathroom and a comfortable bed.

The hotel is listed as a Hilton but is planned to become a Doubletree.

Good location and handy to Portabello Road Market and other Notting Hill areas.

I got a good rate and as a HHonors Gold Member, the breakfast buffet was included. One of the better spreads I have experienced in London with scrambled eggs (not soupy as is the British style), bangers, beans, etc.

All of the staff were efficient and friendly and I would not hesitate to stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The hotel itself has a very good location if you're looking for shopping or museums - however, I do have to say, I won't book it again for a business trip - and I'm not sure that I would pay the rate privately either.

Yes, it's a "Hilton", but compared to other properties - well, there's a lot of room (pardon the pun) for improvement. Some paint and renovation would not hurt at all, but, really, the one thing that surprised me is the single (single!) bed in a very (even for London standards) small room. I understand that it's not the latest and greatest addition to the London hotel scene, but if I wanted a shabby room with a small bed, I would have booked one of the "private" ** hotels in Kensington for half the price (though I might have to share the bed with some bugs in that case...)

So, caveat emptor: An OK (if severely overpriced) 3* hotel, but most definitely not what one thinks when they see "Hilton".

Room Tip: Rooms which are NOT overlooking the park - you'll have a view of someone's living room, but...
Dear DGlumac,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that your room was not fully to your satisfaction on this occasion, you may like to know that we do offer various room types offering larger beds and more space than the Single Guestroom you booked on this stay. In addition we have implemented a room care program to improve the areas you highlighted.

I do hope that you will come back to the hotel and see the changes that we are making.

Kind Regards,

Salford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel has its pro's and con's. It is clean, convenient and smart. It is situated right on the central line, a 10 minute tube journey into central london. With that comes noise, an awful lot of noise. We had a room on the 2nd floor, right over the entrance to the tube station. The noise carries on until late... Then there is the traffic noise. I would hope Hilton would have better windows to shut out that noise,but no.
The staff are efficient but unfriendly, not once did i see them smile. There was no personality to this hotel, and its stuffy atmosphere is unwarranted. As was the uber expensive bar tab. £12.00 for two drinks, a pint and a glass of wine, yet still no smile from the bar staff.
Having stayed in Hiltons up and down the country, time and again, this is one i won't be returning to.

It is far too expensive for what you get!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear pbarret6

I was saddened to hear this stay was not to our usual standards. As an older building we are limited in some of the changes we can make to its structure, including our windows. We have however installed secondary windows in all of the hotels guest rooms to eliminate noise. In relation to your comments about the bar, our prices are now standardised within the area and are similar to those found in other Hilton’s. I am sorry that you felt the service from our team was unfriendly, this is not indicative of our usual standards as you may have noted from other comments but I will be sure to monitor this.

I would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back so that you may experience the hotel in a better light.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton London Hyde Park? Share your experiences!