“Not the best weekend hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel London at Canary Wharf

You added Four Seasons Hotel London at Canary Wharf to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel London at Canary Wharf
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   46 Westferry Circus, Canary Wharf, London E14 8RS, England (Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Third Night Free
Ranked #98 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Not the best weekend hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

This is a great hotel and clearly has a place in people's hearts for when they are doing business here. I think as a result, they are wired to service that need. This becomes clear when you try to experience it over the weekend.

Support = awkward
The moment you check in they are offering to up-sell you on your room type and pushing their spa services. This is not that uncommon, but in this case it is a contant hum. I got asked about it when I checked in, I got asked about it when I was asking for directions, and I got asked about it again when I checked-out ("So did you get to try the spa?").

Having eaten there several times in the past, I choose to explore the food scene, but every time I asked they tried to have me eat in the hotel. Each time I specifically said I was looking to expand my options outside of the hotel, but got no different response. On Sunday, I tried to get a recommendation for a late breakfast around 11:30 and was told it was too late. Instead I got a whole bunch of standard tourist recommendations that lacked any nuance or subtlety. There was no additional knowledge of a local bistro that works well on the weekend like some of the great concierges tend to have. A quick search on foursquare showed five places all within walking distance.

The highlights were the front door staff who were great getting me checked in and out of the hotel with my heavy bags. These guys are all champs and I really appreciated all of the additional touches that really made my life easier.

The rooms are good but not great. If you are expecting hyper-luxury like some of the other Four Seasons try again. They are well used, but very tastefully done. But even given that, they are very comfortable, roomy and a great place to crash after exploring the city.

Again, as I reflected on why it missed my expectations, I realized that what I was looking for was a more weekend experience and the skills I was tapping into where people who knew how to quickly service the needs of very busy business professionals. I would probably stay here during the week when I am on business as I think they would be great.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Stayed here for a business seminar. Staff was courteous and very helpful.
Beds were extremely comfortable and room was spotless with a well stocked mini bar.
Can't complain about this hotel...will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Great location for meetings in Canary Wharf. DLR and subway access close by.
London City airport was close and perfect for travel.
Room was extremely comfortable and quiet with luxurious bed linens.

Room Tip: View of river is lovely and definitely worth requ.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

I stayed at the Four Seasons the weekend of my Civil Partnership. From arrival we treated like honoured guests rather than customers. The attention to detail provided by the polite and friendly staff is incredible brining a bespoke service to a modern hotel that could otherwise be in danger of being a little impersonal. The fantastic location on the river is very convenient for the river bus service. The quality of the rooms is superb; clean, comfortable and very generously proportioned. I have stayed in 5* hotels across Europe and Asia, The four seasons out classed them all. A highly memorable stay in an amazing hotel. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Stayed with wife and 3 year old son for a night. The staff were all very attentive and professional, when they brought the bed for my son they even included little slippers, gown and toys which was a lovely, thoughtful touch.

The room service food however did not represent very good value. The room though was relatively spacious and well appointmented with the usual refinements you would expect from a 5 star establishment. Luxury bedding, flat screens, spacious bathroom all made for a very relaxing and enjoyable stay with a very good nights sleep.

I would stay here again if I wanted to be out of the hussle and bustle of central London.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

In March, 2011, we spent one week at the Four Seasons Canary Wharf, and I was extremely pleased with all aspects of our stay.

The hotel sits on the Thames, out on the east side of town. Those who want to be in the heart of London might be put off by the commute to and from Canary Wharf, but I found the location to be perfect. I'm always willing to make a 15- to 20-minute commute in exchange for better rooms (and rates), and this property did not disappoint.

About Check-In:
We arrived at the hotel around 10:00 a.m., and we received a warm welcome from the doormen and the front desk. The manager also introduced himself and presented his business card. Our room wasn't yet ready, for which the staff was genuinely apologetic, so we walked around the property and down the way to the nearby shopping mall (a good place to get snacks and wine if you want to go easy on the minibar). Within an hour, we were back at the hotel. The young lady at the desk escorted us to our room. I'd requested a quiet room away from the elevator, and I was pleased to see that we'd been given a room as far from the elevator as possible. We were staying in an Executive Suite (room 626, which I'd highly recommend), and we had a wonderful view of the river and city. As we were entering the room, two staff members were just finishing setting up a welcome gift from the manager -- a bowl of fruit, bottled water, and some delicious pastries, which were personalized for the anniversary that we were celebrating that week.

About the Room:
The Executive Suite was thoughtfully arranged and well proportioned (600 square feet). Off the entry was a powder room with commode, sink, and storage space. The front room served as a cozy sitting area, with enough space and furniture for two people to enjoy themselves during an extended stay. The floor-to-ceiling windows revealed peaceful views of the fitness club/pool and the river. The front room also had a minibar, coat closet, flat-panel TV, and stereo with iPod adapter. I was impressed to see that the work area had plenty of electrical sockets, one of which was a 110v American-style socket (no adapter needed). Oh yes, and the wireless internet (free for all suites) was actually fast. We had consistent download speeds of 7Mb and upload speeds of more than 1Mb.

The bedroom was larger than the sitting room and had even better views of the river. The closet space was generous, and wood hangers abounded. We're heavy packers, and we still had plenty of room for our folded and hanging clothes -- along with space to store the luggage. The bedroom also had a chair and ottoman, work desk, multi-device charging station, and another small stereo with iPod adapter.

Our nights in the room were quiet and restful. My only complaint would be with the room's thermostat, which consisted of two knobs: one to regulate the fan speed and one to change the temperature. Without a proper digital thermostat, we found ourselves getting up to adjust the temperature at least once a night. We could get the room too cold or too hot pretty easily, but finding the middle ground was a challenge.

The master bathroom was reasonably sized and had all the usual amenities that you'd expect at a Four Seasons (soaking tub, shower stall, sink with storage space, mirrors, etc.).

About Housekeeping:
Housekeeping do an excellent job; all of the hotel's grounds and common areas are well groomed and spotlessly clean. When we checked in, we were asked what time we'd like to have our daily cleaning service. We asked for our room to be cleaned around midday, and every afternoon/evening, we returned to see our room neat and clean. We also received a daily bowl of fruit, bottle of water, and fresh glasses. The minibar was replenished daily, so we never ran out of our favorite beverages and snacks.

About the Restaurant/Room Service:
We ate breakfast daily in the hotel's restaurant. They have several styles of breakfast (English, Healthy, Japanese, etc.), or we could go a la carte. The quality of the food was excellent; the portions were generous; and the presentation was spot on. The staff were gracious, yet reserved, and service was unobtrusively attentive.
We ordered room service once for dinner and once for breakfast. Both times, the food arrived precisely when it was promised, and again the presentation and quality were beyond reproach. Overall the food prices were about what you'd expect -- probably around 30 - 40 USD per person for breakfast and about the same for burgers and fries at dinner. But the prices were justified for the quality of the dining experiences. I have no complaints at all about the food.

About the Staff/Concierge:
Every employee who we met during the week was pleasant and helpful. Johan, the Concierge, had arranged a private tour for us to see Stonehenge at a time of the year when the site is booked solid. Everything went off without a hitch, and our trip to Stonehenge was one we'll never forget. Johan also recommended that we try the Thames River Bus service, which picks up passengers every 20 minutes from the dock behind the hotel. The river bus was so efficient and pleasant that we never even got on the subway while we were there. We just got a daily pass (12 pounds per person) and zig-zagged our way up and down the river. I'd highly recommend the boats.

As you can see, I'd be hard pressed to find anything wrong with the Four Seasons Canary Wharf, and the next time I'm in London, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. The people who run this hotel take their jobs seriously, and the guests reap the benefits. If you’re going to be in London, do yourself a favor and book at Four Seasons Canary Wharf; you won’t regret it!

Room Tip: Book an Executive Suite; space with a view!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Milano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I highly recommend this hotel. The rooms are big, clean and the bed is fantastic. The bathroom is very comfortable as well. Shower preassure is very good (not common in London) and quality of the shampoo, body lotion, etc. is 5 star. It is expensive, but it is worthwile the experience.
I would not recommend either having dinner or breakfast in the hotel, as it is expensive and quality is at best average. Breakfast is not buffet, but alla carte. I ordered a fruit salad that was around 15 pounds and really tiny.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Four Seasons Hotel London at Canary Wharf? Share your experiences!