“Good afternoon tea” 4 of 5 stars
Review of No.11 Cadogan Gardens

You added No.11 Cadogan Gardens to your Saves list
No.11 Cadogan Gardens
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Cadogan Gardens | Sloane Square, London SW3 2RJ, England (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #148 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Good afternoon tea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I have a few setbacks regarding the hotel, the rooms doesn't look anything like the website photos and room service is a bit of a let down, sometimes things came they we asked and sometimes they forgot a few things. The good thing is that employees are very welcoming, specially the concierges. Emelson was really helpful in helping us out with some urgent matters late at night. always very handy. Richie is always a good lad and very helpful as well. As the title says, the afternoon tea is great and if you happen to come across a very happy girl in the reception, please notice the warm "helloooo" she will give you!

Room Tip: Ask first!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Soliman K, General Manager at No.11 Cadogan Gardens, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Being a boutique hotel, all our rooms have their own unique character. Unfortunately this means that photographs of all rooms cannot be displayed on the website but I believe that the images displayed do give a true representation of the rooms available. I apologies if you thought this is not the case and I have instructed the team to review the images to ensure that they are accurate. On the other hand, it is great to read that you found the team to be welcoming and had a good afternoon tea.

I hope that I can welcome you back to No.11 Cadogan Gardens in the future.

Soliman Khaddour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Slovak first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

the staff are more than enthusiastic and keen to help, the concierge (richie) is the soul of the hotel and genuinely enjoys getting to know the guests and making sure that every detail of your stay is exactly how you want it. the food is brilliant especially the bar menu, as well as the siting areas and general relaxing areas. the bedrooms are good for the area considering sizes of rooms in london and around the chelsea/knightsbridge area. overall a great place to stay in a great location, downside the shower was broken so either it was not working or it have blisteringly hot water, however again the staff made sure it was fixed and were very quick to make sure that it was fixed and were very apologetic about the situation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking to the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you had a good stay with us and that Richie and his team took such good care of you. I apologise that you experienced some difficulties with your shower but glad that they were resolved quickly. I hope to be able to welcome you back to No.11.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed here over our wedding weekend, along with several friends from abroad. The various rooms were all different and characterful. Atmospheric, relaxing and beautiful boutique hotel. The staff were all very helpful and friendly, the concierge Richie particularly welcoming and thoughtful (including finding a jeweller at the 11th to clean bridal jewellery). Delicious champagne arrived to congratulate us after our wedding. Nothing was too much trouble, rates in advance reasonable for a hotel of this quality. Excellent location, great breakfast and bar. Would certainly visit again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

As a member of the Small Luxury Hotels group, this hotel is certainly small, but luxurious... hmmm... there must be a hidden joke here or I seem to miss the punch line. And here is why.
1. Our double deluxe room was small and awfully (and I mean it) dated, like my grandmother's. There was nothing "bright and airy" about this room, as the hotel claims on its website. BTW, deluxe room pictures on the website are also misleading. You have to grossly discount them. Please, look at the pictures from my review and compare them with those on the hotel's website and see the difference.
2. The bed was very uncomfortable and the mattress was way too soft. I almost felt like a princess from "The Princess and the Pea" fairy-tale, as the mattress provided neither support nor protection.
3. Pillows were synthetic (a new spin on luxury?)
4. There was no mini-bar in the room and to my question of how I could get a cup of tea I was told that the hotel had a complimentary room service. It turned out, however, to be not so complimentary, as I was charged about 5 pounds for a small pot of tea.
5. Walls were too thin and floors squeaky. Every morning we were woken up by other guests or staff walking up or down the corridor. Every single step sounded like thunder.
6. The shower in the room produced the sounds of Jericho trumpets every time we took a shower, probably due to the air in the plumbing system.
On a positive side, the service was quick and to the point; the staff was friendly and helpful.
All in all, I consider Cadogan Gardens a 3 star hotel. So, if you are looking for a "period" luxury, the Bentley, which is in the vicinity, is a better bet, in my humble opinion. I stayed at the Bentley a few times and will certainly stay again, but not at Cadogan Gardens. In fact, I would've checked out and moved to the Bentley or another hotel, if I hadn't prepaid for the entire stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
kidderminster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed for five nights in a junior suite on a bed/breakfast basis. It certainly is a boutique hotel, opulent décor and Murano chandeliers. I had asked for a room at the front of the hotel and it was very good The condition was slightly tired but as we had paid £1400 on a non-refundable basis for a room that could cost around £2000 on a fully-flexible tariff, I accept this as par for the course.

The hotel staff were just the ultimate in giving good service. Particularly Ritchie, the head concierge, William, another of the concierges and Blair, whose role I do not know. Any issues we had were dealt with swiftly and we were made to feel very welcome. The challenges we faced however were usually in the dining department which is out-sourced.

On arrival, we ordered tea and when it came, it was quite weak; I mean just coloured water. It did not seem to be getting any stronger in the pot so I took the lid off to give it a stir and discovered that it had been pre-strained!!!! the restaurant staff explained that people had complained about strong tea so they do it themselves! Enter Blair and all was resolved with a replacement which included our own tea-strainer.

We had dinner that night in Tartufo, the restaurant. The menu is quite individual and almost everything came with truffle. However, the quality of the food was truly excellent and the service from the staff who work at night in the restaurant was top-dollar. Couldn't fault it, only praise it. A note to the chef though- we only ate there once because we were truffled-out. A few items as one may find on a simple grill menu would have helped here- fillet steak etc.

Breakfast was a nightmare every day! A small buffet selection which was very good then cooked items a la carte as requested.......or not. We asked for well-cooked bacon every day- sometimes changed the adjective to 'crispy' bacon. Each time it came cooked to a standard pink. Eggs were usually over-done. We asked for brown sauce and they told us there was none! Unbelievable. (They had it every day after that) The first morning we waited so long for toast and a second pot of tea that we walked out and complained. This was when Ritchie excelled and thanked us for our feedback and rewarded us with Champagne and biscuits!!!! He consistently checked that the remainder of our stay was to our satisfaction.

Our third dining experience was afternoon tea. We had the same no tea in the pot nonsense as before and the same ridiculous excuse that it was because guests do not like it so strong!!! We finally had the tea replaced but the quantity of tea in the pot was absurdly huge. By the time we had a second cup it was like tar. I spoke to the restaurant manager in charge that afternoon and he told me it was because they do not have enough tea-strainers in the kitchen! Well, that was certainly a new concept for me for a facility offering afternoon tea.

In general, our stay was good. The dining let it down considerably. The evening staff seemed up to the mark, The daytime staff were in need of further training. Breakfast was very average afternoon tea was the stuff that comedy sketches are made of,

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have a garden view and are pretty light.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Soliman K, General Manager at No.11 Cadogan Gardens, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy to read of the good service provided by Richie and his team who pride themselves greatly on the service that they provide. This said, I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with aspects of your stay. All your comments have been passed along to the relevant department to ensure that these issues do not happen again. I hope to be able to welcome you back to No.11 Cadogan Gardens in the future.

Best Wishes,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Our stay here for my best friends wedding in December was almost perfect.. The concierge on the other hand was perfect, what an asset to the hotel, thumbs up to Richard and William you deserve pay increases. Thank you for all your help. Nothing was to much trouble

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your positive comments. I am delighted to hear that the team made your friends wedding near perfect. Best wishes to the happy couple for the future and I look forward to welcoming you and your party back to No.11 Cadogan Gardens in the near future.

Kind regards,

Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

we only stayed for one night and it was Christmas Day. nobody at reception informed us where the breakfast room was or facilities available in the hotel. Our room was small and on the top floor but pleasant enough. The decor was more like a gentleman's club,very dark. The bed was very comfortable but the bathroom looked rather tired and was very small.
There wasn't any tea or coffee facility in the room as advertised on their website and therefore we asked for coffee to be sent up at 8 am the following morning for which we were then charged £10.
This nights stay was a gift from a friend so I don't know how much it was per night but It fell short on basic requirements.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with elements of your stay. I am happy to write that we are due to start a light refurbishment program with the next few months. In regards to the tea and coffee facilities, I would like to apologise for any communication experienced. Tea and coffee facilities are available to all guests by request through the pre-arrival guest preference form. I once again apologise for the miss communication and hope that I may be able to welcome you back to No.11 Cadogan Gardens in the near future.

Soliman Khaddour

Been to No.11 Cadogan Gardens? Share your experiences!