“Clean and friendly staff, small room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Duke of Leinster Hotel

Save Saved
You added Duke of Leinster Hotel to your Saves list
Duke of Leinster Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Leinster Gardens | Bayswater, London W2 3AN, England   |
Ranked #653 of 1,073 hotels in London
Westbury, United Kingdom
“Clean and friendly staff, small room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The room (305) was very small , room for a double bed , and not much else. All very clean , bathroom modern and good shower. Choose the breakfast in the room , acceptable , but could be better (fresher crosiants !). Kellogs cereal , not some cheap immitation cereal. Note ten min walk from Tube at Bayswater , half hour from museums at South Ken , via Hyde Park.
Overall good value for the money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
20Duke, Manager at Duke of Leinster Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Here at the Duke of Leinster we are very pleased to hear that your stay was a good value for money. We also appreciate positive and negative reviews as it enables us to offer better service for our guests. We are sorry that we were unable to offer a bigger room when you made a reservation with us, but we can assure you that the next time that you are available to stay at our hotel, we will try and offer you a larger accommodation. Thank you for the frank review, and you are welcome to stay with us again anytime.
Best regards,

355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I want to start but saying this room was a bargain! 4 adult girls in a great London location for £100.
Saying that, if I had paid full price I would have the following complaint:
* we had paid for bed and breakfast and when checking in the member of staff on reception encouraged us to have breakfast in our room due to the lack of space in the breakfast room. We were given a form to complete and hand back in before midnight. We asked about a cooked breakfast and the member of staff said yes just add how many you would like to the bottom of the page. We did this and handed it back at 7:30pm opting for our breakfast to arrive between 8:30-9:00am
* at 9:15 the following morning I called down to enquire where the breakfast was an was called back to say it was on its way
* our continental part of the breakfast was brought up soon after and we required when our cooked breakfast would arrive. The lady who delivered our continental breakfast said there would be an additional charge for cooked breakfast. We advised he that this wasn't the case as we have it included in our package but to bring it up anyway as we would just enquire on checkout.
*it was past 10:00am before our cooked breakfast arrived and the lady said that because they were so late our cooked breakfast would be free of charge.
* the breakfast was awful the "bacon" was not bacon
* on check out we were asked I pay for the breakfast, we explained that breakfast was included in our package and that it was so late that the delivery lady had said it was free for charge - obviously the staff do not communicate with each other.

So in summary, great hotel if you book
When it is reduced, good location but eat out for breakfast as you will be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013
20Duke, General Manager at Duke of Leinster Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback you left on TA from you recent stay at the Duke of Leinster Hotel.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
i can assure you that I have made the necessary improvement needed to avoid having any of our guests to wait longer for their breakfast.
I would be very happy to welcome you back to the Duke of Leinster Hotel in the near future.
Please let me know and I am very happy to help you with a future reservations
Wishing you all the best

Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Four of us recently visit London for birthday celebrations and we got a deal for this hotel on laterooms for £99 for a 4 person room with breakfast. BARGAIN!

Reception was a little busy and we had to wait but no reason to complain as when it was a turn even though we were 4 hours early the gentleman on reception was happy to take our bags and store them until we could check in so off we went shopping :)

When we returned and went to our room we were really pleasantly surpised as at £25 each whioch is all it had cost us, it was great. Clean, enough room, very warm for the time of year and the bathroom was fine.

Worth noting the reception button on the phone doesn't work - they aren't ignoring you!

A small criticism would be that the gentleman we spoke to on reception told us our full english was included however it was not, only continental breakfast. We were also encourage to order this to our roon as the breakfast area ws small and were asked to select a time. It did come - an hour late and when it came we were advised the cooked breakfast was £2.50 extra each. However as it was an hr late there would be no charge. Having said all this, I would suggest only going for the continental anyway - the cooked breakfast was something to be desired. ALso, when we checked out there had been no communciation to receptio that our breakfast was not going to be charged due to the delay and we had to explain this when reception tried to charge us.

Overall however - if you overlook the breakfast! Cannot complain.Nice hotel in a great location. The original proce before the offer was £485 - I would absolutely NOT like to think we had paid this or my review would be very different however for what we paid, we got a great deal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
At the Duke of Leinster we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were given good value for money.
We are so sorry for the problem you had with your breakfast but I can assure you that we have tried our best to improve our service during breakfast and that long waiting times and issues have been dealt with to the best of our ability.
Thank you for your useful review on TA ,we would be glad to have you come back and stay at the Duke of Leinster another time.
All the best,
Staffordshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed here on Thursday 7th-8th Feb 2013, We arrived at 2pm, our room was not quite ready & the reception was very sorry, we waited for about 15 mins and then the room was ready. I asked the receptionist if their was an iron in the room, she was not sure but said if not she will get me one. (there was an iron & board in room).

The lift to the floors s TINY i mean if your scared of lifts or small spaces would recommend not going in the lift (as it also makes funny noises). It just fit me & my hubby with 1 suitcase.

I'll be honest i was expecting a tiny room as generally in these hotels in this area they are quite small (but you pay for what you get in that location) but when we walked in i was literally like WOW, the room was very big & has 2 double beds, a small table & chairs, flat screen TV, dressing table, wardrobe, on-suit (with toiletries) & Tea/Coffee making stuff. The window was large & we had a view of the main street the room was very warm, i actually had to open the window as i was hot.

We had our break delivered to the room, we could choose the day before what we wanted & the time between we wanted it to come in the morning. We had croissant , bread roles, cheese, butter, jam, fruit, yogurts, juice, I had hot chocolate & the hubby had tea & boiled eggs. It was LOVELY & just the right amount to get you started on your day.

The check-out is 11am but we wanted to go see London before we get home, they were very happy to let us leave our suitcase with them, we picked it up at 5.30pm

All in alll i was very happy with this hotel & i will be using them again

Room Tip: 505 has a double & king size bed - Lots of room, even if 4 people in the room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
20Duke, General Manager at Duke of Leinster Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
I and the whole team Of Duke Of Leinster Hotel are so pleased that you had a good experience at our Hotel. We were so happy that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we met your expectations. I was also glad that you where pleased with our Breakfast . We would like you to welcome you back in the near future.
My kindest regards,
York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Having read some of the reviews, we arrived at the hotel with some trepidation, but soon changed our minds. A small but clean reception area and a friendly greeting from the receptionist, began to set our minds at rest. On entering our room, we found it to be an ample size for a 2 night stay, remembering we were in London and was not really going to spend an awful lot of time in there. Sufficient hangers in the wardrobe ( a bonus) shower room with complimentary, shampoo etc and tea and coffee facilities. A nice comfy bed with clean sheets. The only down side was the breakfast room was very small and on Sunday morning they couldnt accomodate all the guests , we were lucky as there was only the two of us and was easier to get a table, but for a family or friends of 3 or more, people were having to wait up to approx 20 mins for a table to become free ( Not good as you want to get on with your day) All in all though I would recommend this hotel. A convenient location to the City, 5 mins walk from the underground, Hyde Park 2 minute walk and 5 mins from Bayswater Road. What more do you want for a reasonably priced hotel

Room Tip: We were at the front and was a bit noisy on the Sat night, so would recommend a rear room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
20Duke, Manager at Duke of Leinster Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear guest,
At the Duke of Leinster we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We want nothing more than a satisfied guest receiving the best of our services and a friendly reception. I am very sorry to hear that during your stay you felt that the breakfast area was small. As a result, we have built in a new bar which means an additional 6 seats are available. We also now offer breakfast in bed which allows guests to order what they want for breakfast and when they want it to be sent up to their room. We hope that you will come and stay with us again at the Duke of Leinster.
Kindest regards,
O Ismail,
Lewes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I only stayed two nights at this hotel during a work trip with two colleagues of mine and I have always considered going back for a leisure weekend.
The hotel was clean and comfortable, very well heated (it was the end of a very cold January) and the staff was nice and professional
The location is great as it is not far from the centre but in a quiet area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,
We, at the Duke of Leinster Hotel, are glad that your stay with us was pleasant and comfortable. We are always happy to hear that our guests are enjoying their stay and are being offered good facilities and service to a high standard of quality. We welcome you for another stay at our hotel anytime.
Best regards,
Baumholder, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I expected hotels in London to be small but when we got to this hotel and opened our room door the door literally hit the bed the room was so small. I could touch one wall with one hand and the other wall with the other hand at the same time. We stayed there in Jan 2013 for our "baby-moon" since we are expecting our first baby in February and I requested a larger room since I was 34 weeks pregnant but apparently that meant getting the smallest room physically possible. They are lucky I am really small because I could not imagine someone larger being able to even fit in the shower in that room.
The bed was decent and clean so that was fine but the walls had markings all over them. I seriously wish I would have spent more money on a better hotel. In order to dry off from the shower in the bathroom I had to put my leg onto the toilet from the shower (that had no tub). Also in order to get to and from the bathroom one person had to go into the bathroom so the other person could pass by. If it were just one person I am sure that it would have been easier but this room was ridiculous.

Oh and our shower did not drain so I had to turn the water on, rinse quick, turn the water off and wash and shave then turn the water back on quickly to rinse off. It was disgusting that I had to stand in water since it would not drain!

I would not stay in this hotel ever again. Thankfully the breakfast was included because that was nothing special either, it was all carbs and that is it. Basically we ate it because it was included and to fill us up to keep us from spending more money.

The walls to our bedroom must have been paper thin because you could literally hear everything, not to mention the fact that they put us in the room right next to the reception area so I never felt like I had any privacy whatsoever. You could hear all the conversations of others and you could hear the construction or trucks going by on the street outside. It was so noisy and unreal. I wanted to relax before our baby comes but this hotel did not let me do that at all.

Don't stay in this hotel if you actually want comfort because my husband and I were not comfortable in this hotel at all.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
20Duke, General Manager at Duke of Leinster Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your review, we accept both positive and negative comments to help us to offer to our clients a better stay.
We really apologize if you did not have a good stay, we are doing our best to improve the breakfast service and the rooms quality as well.
Me and the staff are making a lot of efforts to give to this Hotel better services and facilities.
We hope to welcoming you again here at the Duke of Leinster to proof you that we are changing a lot.
Best Regards
O.Ismail
Hotel Manager

Been to Duke of Leinster Hotel? Share your experiences!