“Honeymoon stay December 2010” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cadogan Hotel

Save Saved
You added Cadogan Hotel to your Saves list
Cadogan Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 Sloane Street, Knightsbridge, London SW1X 9SG, England (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #278 of 1,075 hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon stay December 2010”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I was saddened to read some recent mixed reviews of this hotel whilst I was catching up on my own reviews from 2010.

We stayed in the 'Lillie Langtry' suite which is quite possibly the most beautiful and feminine room I have ever stayed in anywhere in London, UK or abroad. In the world really. Absolutely dreamy - perfect for a honeymoon stay or romantic break.

This hotel has so much character if you don't want something homogenised and pre-packaged. And it is in one of the most beautiful and exclusive districts in London.

The service was totally non-intrusive, discreet, and gold standard. Room service was fantastic - the waiter was subtley attentive and the food (& I must say the sorbet for dessert!) delicious. There was incredible room service for breakfast and a lovely deli board platter which we ordered later in the afternoon. I think the other reviewer 'HorshamPapa' who mentioned how staff don't chase after you but are always there if you need it had it just right.

Overall, a really classic, unique boutique hotel with first class service and staff that just know how to be brilliant at their job. You don't find many gems like this in London!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Cadogan9, Front Office Manager at Cadogan Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is always a pleasure to read such great comments about the Cadogan which I have shared with my fellow colleagues and I am especially delighted to hear that our friendly, discreet and professional team was attentive at all times, whilst being unobtrusive.

I must certainly agree with your comment about our Lillie Langtry suite. It is indeed a very beautiful one-of-a-kind suite, perfect for honeymooners, anniversaries and other celebrations.

Why not celebrate your anniversary with us this year? If so, please do contact me directly so that I may personally take care of your reservation.

573 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Lymington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed at The Cadogan on Friday night and was very disappointed. The bed was small (my husband is 6ft 3 in and I must admit a queen size bed was not large enough for the both of us). Our room (403) was too close to the very noisy, old-style lift, so everytime the metal shutter was opened and slammed shut, we knew about it.

Drinks were expensive, there was no tea and coffee making facilities in the room, the decor was tired and the standards were no more than that of a three-star hotel. I'd booked through an offer on Travelzoo so wondered if our poor category of room was the result of taking up a late offer, but having read other reports post-stay, I believe the hotel just needs a jolly good refurbishment.

Breakfast was a farce, there was no room for us and we were told to wait in the bar - while other couples walked past us and may have been seated. We were given tea and coffee while waiting, however, once shown to our table, we were plonked down with no explanation of what breakfast consisted of, what we could order and when. In fact we were left with no service what so ever until my husband managed to collar the F&B manager to ask for assistance. All-in-all very disappointing.

The only thing this hotel has going for it, is the location.

Room Tip: Avoid a room that ends with 01, 02 or 03, by all accounts go for a room with 09 or 10 on the end.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

After reading your comments regarding your disappointing stay with us at the Cadogan, may I firstly thank you for your honest feedback. We treat all feedback, both positive and negative, very seriously.

This allows us to obtain a clear perspective of our guest’s perception and expectation towards not only the style of the hotel, but also the quality of service.

I am very sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience throughout your stay as we always endeavour to ensure our guest’s stay is a most memorable one. The points you have mentioned in your review have been addressed with the entire team to ensure a similar situation does not occur again.

Should you decide to try us again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I personally may take care of your reservation.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

I took my Sister here for afternoon tea, To celebrate her birthday.
I had researched hard And decided The Cadogan was reasonably priced, good location, had good reviews And an afternoon tea menu We liked the sound of.
When We arrived 20 mins early We were aloud To be seated And choose a tea. Our seats were rather uncomfortably placed, facing the corridor And service bar, And not facing each other! We asked To be reseated at a nicer table. It was adequate but The sofa tables looked better, but obviously they were for larger groups. But some were not used the whole time We were there!!
We choose a Lovely Tea each. Mine was Rose bud tea. It was delicious.
Our next complaint came when we saw the menu. I specifically asked when I Phoned To book, that the 'traditional afternoon tea' would be available (Not Just festive, as my sis doesn't like fruit cake or mince Pies). But on the day they were only serving the festive.
After a disagreement We decided To stay.
The beautiful platter came out, And our champagne. There was HAPPY BIRTHDAY written in chocolate on top which my sister was made up about.
The sandwich selection was not festive-? Smoked Salmon, Cucumber, Ham, Cheese, egg. Nothing special, bread was nothing special either. Ham And Mustard Sandwich was tasty though. 5 finger sandwiches each.
The Scones, mini cranberry ones, were out of this world. The Jam And cream Too. They literally melted in your mouth. We were served 3 each, but could have eaten many more!! We also asked for another cream And Jam, which was no extra cost.
I had another tea, And We got an expresso. All included!!
The sweet selection.
Mini mince pie - OK, My sis didn't enJoy hers!!
Mini Fruit Cake - My sis didn't like it, I ate mine, but it was a bit dry.
Almond Macaroon - this looked so beautiful, I have always wanted To try a beautiful Macaroon!! After finishing my sisters, I wasn't sure about it, but after eating mine Too, decided it was actually very good.
The Black Forest Gateaux - Wow again, We both absolutely Loved that!!

All in all, not bad for the Price, compared To other top hotels. But be warned they add 12.5% To The Bill.
We had high tea, but for another glass of champagne it would have been double the Price it was included in the Tea!! Around £16 per glass, but only £8 with the High Tea!!

Staff were very Polite And took time To talk you through The Platter etc.
We didn't feel rushed, And all in all enJoyed a Peaceful afternoon eating our dreamy scones!!
We saved one for last so We could savour The taste!!
We will remember these as The best scones we have taster.

But I now feel I need To go back To try The Traditional Afternoon Tea menu!! And reserve a sofa seat.

• Stayed December 2012
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This quaint little dump in Knightsbridge is so disappointing. The television set failed to work, the radiator did not work, neither did the air conditioning. The bed and pillows felt as old as the hotel and were very uncomfortable. Tea and coffee facilities were requested twice in two days before finally arriving. The room was cold and the draught came through the ancient window frames. Although there was an oil filled heater in the room to compensate for the lack of heating, this failed to heat the room. There appeared to be no staff on the bar to get served and they also disappeared when you wanted to pay your bill. The breakfast was a farce, resulting in standing in a queue being totally ignored by the staff for 15 minutes, before having to approach a staff member who then told us to wait in the bar area until a table became available. It is ridiculously overpriced with very poor quality. Would definately not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HORSHAM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) in room 303, I was a little aprehensive having read some reports so let me say, we had no problems with TV functions, lift or street noise or poor room lighting. We liked the room decor and the bed, only Queen size but adequate ( my wife is small) and certainly gave a comfortable nights sleep. The shower room was small but very adequate with bath robes etc.
Our rate was good(travelzoo)value and included continental breakfast which was very good indeed,we did not miss the full English option.
Generally the staff were friendly and attentive but on your terms, not their's, which we much prefer. No one chases after you but are there for you if required.
Some may say the hotel is tired and in need of a make over, this is true in the corrridor areas only and yes the lift is small and old but this is a small hotel with history and character and right bang in one of the smartest shoping areas in London if not the world. So some wear and tear was not a problem for us.
Overall we enjoyed our stay but we base this on the good value rate, so if available again we would certainly return.
Slightly on the downside bar drinks were expensive compared with food and the check out billing was wrong on several points with no appology given. Breakfast on Sunday16th December, was quite busy. we were advised the night before, however clearly the staff were finding it hard to cope and the service did suffer.
Bottom line not without it's faults but certainly not faulty towers as I overheard a rather overbearing guest say to another.

Room Tip: We were happy to have 303
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cadogan9, Front Office Manager at Cadogan Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am happy to hear that your overall stay with us was satisfactory. The entire team at the Cadogan value all feedback, both positive and negative. This information is shared across all departments so as to help with the development of not only our product, but the service too.

I am also extremely delighted and proud to hear that the team was attentive and friendly at all times, but more importantly, unobtrusive.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you be planning another trip to London in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

For a one night stay in London my wife and I had a wonderful stay, good service, nice quiet rooms and a great Breakfast. The perfect Boutique hotel! We stay in London a lot and I can honestly say that this is one of the nicest Boutique Hotels in a great location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Cadogan9, Front Office Manager at Cadogan Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments. We take great pride in what we do and reading reviews such as yours makes the team smile, knowing that we have delivered 100%.

Please feel free to contact me directly when you plan your next trip to London.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Looks nice enough, and was hoping for a little luxury on the last days of a 10 day business trip. Spent the first 5 nights at the Hilton, which was very comfortable and clean. That was a good business hotel. The next 3 nights I spent in Paris at a three star hotel. It was also clean, comfortable and just what was needed.

However, I have just "woken up" if you can call it that, after a sleepless night at the Cadogan hotel. I have not slept on a bed so uncomfortable since I found myself lost in the remote forests of the poorest region of the Dominican Republic. Even there, where the room was $7 a night, the proprietor of the hotel had the decency to apologize for the loud diesel generator that was outside of our window.

Not so here at the Cardogan. When I informed reception that the bed was awful, each individual spring can be felt by lightly running your hand over the bed, and that it squeaks on every movement, he said nothing. No, "oh, I'm sorry" or "that is not right, my apologies". He simply looked at the computer and found another room.

I am annoyed and tired with a backache. This is NOT a five star hotel. With the exception of a nice entryway, this is more like a 2 and a half star.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a bed from this decade.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Cadogan Hotel? Share your experiences!