“Very Poor Customer Service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Britannia International Hotel

You added Britannia International Hotel to your Saves list
Britannia International Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   163 Marsh Wall | Docklands, London E14 9SJ, England (Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs)   |
Ranked #688 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Very Poor Customer Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed there for 3 nights in February 2014 to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniverary, nice hotel, good location but sadly to say I got food poisioning from the cream in the Hotel, and had to be taken to hospital,, so it spoiled our trip to London, my complaint to the Hotel has been totally ignored have had no reply to Calls, email and letter - there Customer Service is poor, so was not a happy customer

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Whilst a little worn in places, the Britannia offers a lot for a little.

Booked through National Holidays for 4 nights, it is getting ready for a makeover in parts, but does the job of a comfortable place to rest, with good amenities, and quite grand in parts.
The Hotel I believe is less busy at weekends as there are fewer Corporate clients.

The pool and gym where extra's but did not have time to partake.
The Buffet style dining was adequate, though no fruit juice at breakfast!

The rooms are the usual fare with a small wardrobe with trouser press. Reasonable size Flat screen TV and good bath/shower room.

There is a nice Pizza restaurant for late night munchies, and a nice bar area overlooking the docks and the grandly lit finance buildings. (do they never turn the lights off in their offices?)

The hotel is nicely located for expensive shopping in the Canary Mall, but better still the underground and the Docklands light Railway, so it is a 5 minute walk to get onto transport to the center of London.
The O2 arena is nearby with a chair lift ride available to view from above.

Staff (mainly Foreign) where very good.

All in all a most pleasurable stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This hotel has mixed reviews and I can see why to some extent. It is located in Canary Wharf about 10 mins walk from the Canary Wharf underground which gets you into central London on the Jubilee line with ease. The room I had was a little dated and lacking in power points for a lap top on the desk area so not brilliant for business use. The bath and shower were excellent with plenty of hot water delivered at a high power so the bath filled quickly and the shower was powerful.

Breakfast was OK with a reasonable selection of hot and cold food. The staff I encountered were keen to assist.

Overall, at the price we paid (under £100 for B & B for 2) it represented good value for London so any slight niggles could easily be forgiven in our case.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Neath
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We booked this hotel for a 2 night stay from January 19th 2014 through booking.com, £166.00, unfortunately we had to cancel the day before, seeing we had booked it on non refundable we had to choose another date before the due date we were supposed to travel. We choose to book it for 9th August for 2 nights, the price had gone up to £226, fair enough summer prices. This is where it gets interesting, we then asked if we could have a triple room and take our son with us, we were told it would be ok but we would have to pay £25 each per night to have it, this was then putting the price of a triple room without breakfast up to £376. We agreed to do this, even though the hotel website was saying the cost of a triple room was £296 with breakfast. We then had a phone call to say we could not now have a triple room because there were none available, but the website was saying there were, and it is still saying they are available. We explained our son had learning difficulties but the hotel were adamant we would have to book an extra single room to go with the double we had already booked. So now we are paying £432 without breakfast. Accordingly we are not looking forward to our stay here and only going because we could not get our money back ( because of the non refundable booking )and we will make the most of it.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Darlington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

There hotel looks good on the website and the entrance and reception area are impressive. However, the hotel is shabby beyond belief, with threadbare carpets and tired decor. The leather furniture in the bar is scuffed and torn.

On the Sunday we were there only the Spice restaurant was open. The food tasted and looked like boil in a bag curry from the seventies. The nearest restaurants and shops were a fifteen minute walk away, although the concierge said they were on the doorstep.

The so called wheelchair accessible bathroom had a door narrower than a standard wheelchair so I could neither sheer or shave for an important business event.

A poor deal at any price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Kilkenny, Kilkenny, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I rate hotels on 3 basic needs of mine and if these are not met there will usually be more that is wrong. This hotel failed on all three:
Reception Greeting - At check in was distant and uncaring and our accountants efforts to pay the bill ahead of time was hindered by poor business communication.
Breakfast Coffee - Flavourless brown water that if it was judged on smell alone no one would guess coffee.
Bath Towel - There was not one. Stupid small towels that even my seven year old son would struggle to dry himself with just one.

Sorry to say there were other items and I had to endure these for 4 nights.
As a company we would not return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I went to the Spindles club and the experience was awful, the place was in terrible conditions so much that they had to carry out emergency repair works preventing anyone from entering the pool (including me who paid in advance for the access!!).

Benches in the changing room were wobbly and not safe, couple of times even the shower was broken, forcing me to go back and forth the stairs to shower in the changing room and then go back to the pool everytime I had sauna or steam room, making my experience annoying and unsafe.

When I went to speak to the Manager, Mr Simpson, he had nothing but attitude, he seemed too busy to speak to me, and wouldn't even refund me for the entry to the club I had paid in advance and I did not have the chance to use. Having complained and asked him to put me through the General Manager, he ignored me, did not even answer to my complaint and never put me through the General Manager.

Felt discriminated as a Wowcher user, as I have been told that for the price I paid I should be happy with what I get and just go home!!
The way and amount I paid should not affect my rights as a customer, but this probably does not reflect the hotel's policy.

I am not going back there anymore and would advice anyone to look for a better place to avoid distress and receive adequate customer service, fair and equal to anyone regardless of where they are from or how much they have paid.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Britannia International Hotel? Share your experiences!