“Nice hotel but....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #554 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We booked 2 superior rooms for 1 night and chose this hotel purely for it's location as our daughter had an interview at the Central School of Speech and Drama (door to door was less than a minutes walk, so ideal!).
Parking was impossible as all the bays outside the hotel are Permit Holders Only, apart from 3 bays at the end of the street that are Pay & Display and stayed full. We ended up parking in the underground car park of the Marriot Hotel, only 5 minutes walk away and at a charge of £16.50 for the night so not bad.
The location is great, very close to lots of small shops and takeaways, and the Swiss Cottage tube station is a couple of minutes away.
The term 'faded grandeur' sums this hotel up so well - linked converted period properties with creaky floorboards, oil paintings in gilded frames and a maze of corridors that all added to it's charm. The rooms were a good size and clean, the beds reasonabley comfy. The bathroom was fine - shower over the bath worked well enough and there was hot water so no complaints there.
We do have a couple of complaints though.... Our room was at the back of the hotel where I think the sun must shine most of the day, as our room was not overly warm, but not too cold either (though it became chilly later in the evening). Our daughters room was at the front of the building and was not warm at all. She drew the curtains in an attempt to retain some heat but during the eveing when it became quite windy the curtains (which were heavy) were moving from the draughts coming from the windows. The heating was not on, the radiators were really cold, and the heating cannot be controlled from individual rooms. I went to reception and told the man there about the curtains and chilly room and his response was - 'put towels around the window, that might help'; when I asked about the heating he shrugged and said it should warm up later!?! The main areas of the hotel were warm enough - just not the rooms! So our daughter used an extra blanket that we keep in the car and she wore a sweatshirt with her pyjamas! I know sash windows can be drafty, but we used to live in a Victorian house with the original sash windows and we did not have this problem. If these types of windows are kept well maintained they can be great. We did want to swap rooms with our daughter so that she wouldn't be quite as cold, but she wouldn't because we would then be cold. Had it still been open, I would have gone to the Argos store just around the corner and bought a small electic heater, but it was closed by this time.
We also asked a few times about internet access as we could not get online - (not somuch an issue for us, though it would have been nice - but our daughter had hoped to do a little more research before the interview) - we tried several times to get online but no luck and again when we asked at reception we were told the internet was working for him so it must be a problem with our equipment or what we were doing! I thought this was very unlikely on two laptops and three mobile phones!
We did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the food, nor did we use the bar.... which brings me to the last moan....
When we came to check out I was told that we had a bar bill to settle - yet we had not used the bar at all. When I said this I was told that we had used the bar, that we had had drinks and he had a receipt for our drinks, I said again that we had not used the bar and when I asked to see the receipt he screwed it up without showing it to me and said 'don't worry about it'. Is this not a bit odd?? Either someone has obtained drinks using our room number or they haven't?!
It's a shame - it's a nice, unusual hotel in a great location that we would have used again, but the unhelpful responses we received from reception and issues we had have put us off and we will not stay here in future.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and the room at the back was certainly a little warmer than the front!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Giselle122, Manager at BEST WESTERN Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was saddened to read of your experience with the reception staff on duty at the time of your stay and other issues encountered, rest assured I will be investigating further as to how this could have happened.

Your feedback is much appreciated, we will be using this in a constructive way to improve the quality of service that we offer.

Once I have been able to investigate the issues mentioned in full I will contact you directly.

Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Helpful manager.'Garden' Room - a ground floor room - no garden rather parking - had character.
Lounge and bar area very grand. Room was noisy - turned out to be the radiators but we were given a discount. Clean room and comfortable bed.
Very nice breakfast - good selection and English breakfast freshly cooked - was a nice touch.
Free on street parking after 1.30 on a saturday and thru sunday.
Handy position - we were going to Camden.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Giselle122, Manager at BEST WESTERN Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I do apologize for any inconvenience due to radiator noise.

I was pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed breakfast and hope that you will return to the hotel in the future.

Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The hotel is nice and quiet,based in a residential area.there is a tube station really close to the hotel(Swiss Cottage station) and it's a short ride to central London.the decoration in the hotel is nice.stuff helpful.I didn't take the breakfast in the hotel.The beds are not very comfortable but ok.
I can't say it's perfect: the rooms are dark even with turning all lights on,the heating dimmer in my room was hardly moving,the lift is very slowly,
But still-comparing to London hotels, the superior room was big and the shower room huge.
I found a good rate , even cheap, probably because it was off-peack season.
Take this hotel if you want to be in a nice location out from the hassle but still close to the centre.

Room Tip: Check rates at the hotel's own website.you can find good rates a couple of days in advance if it...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Giselle122, Manager at BEST WESTERN Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feed back following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and would like to assure you that all comments made by our guests are used constructively to improve the quality of service that we offer.

I hope that you will choose us again for a future stay.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We booked this via a Virgin web site and was really pleased with what we got for £79 . The booking was a last minute as the snow was making train journeys difficut for an early sart on Saturday. We booked a family room which was clean and tidy with tea making facilities and biscuits, then a seperate adjoining room for my teenage daughter. The bathroom had all the extras you would expect from a four star hotel. We had to leave early so did not use the restaurant facilities but im sure it would not have disappointed. Thank you very much!

Room Tip: we stayed on the third floor at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Giselle122, Manager at BEST WESTERN Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of our hotel.

I am pleased that we could give you some shelter from the snow and although it was a short stay, I'm glad you found it pleasant.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Florence, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights, few tube stops from the centre city, really calm place, very good food and kind personnel. The area is well frequented by rich people and is full of nice old houses. We strongly reccomend this hotel for tourists Four stars for me!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the location, we hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Very wonderful but Victorianr architecture area. If you like modern this is not for you. Clean, and very well kept. The streets around and especially Eton St. is so beautiful. Tube is right on corner which makes it the best location possible. Swiss Cottage stop on the Jubilee line. Cafes and shopping close by. Live theater next door. I enjoyed it tremendously.

Room Tip: If you are alone and get a single room, upon arrival ask for an upgraded room if available.
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding area of the hotel.

I hope that you will choose us again for a future stay.

Espoo, Southern Finland, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

pro
convenient location, 5 min walk from Swiss Cottage station

Cons
what to expect from 3 star hotel? decent place to stay over-night. BW Swiss cottage hotel fits to this category with all its appearance, smells, creaks and scratches. well, when you book 3 start hotel, it means you are ready to tolerate all such small things. What has negatively surprised me is impossibility to get an iron and a board. Sounds as pretty simple request, is not it? Let's see. I asked for those 2 items upon arrival at 1820, called to remind at 1900, got downstairs at reception to remind in person at 2000. Every time I was getting a promise that "iron and board will be delivered straight to your room right now". Make your guess whether I manage to get requested items on arrival day? you are right - no luck. Next morning I called reception and repeat my request at 6-40 and got a promise that "our porter delivers it to you as soon as he arrives to his working place at 7 am". At 7-20, passing by the reception on my way to the restaurant, I was informed that "our porter is late" and nobody else knows where irons and boards are. To make this story spicier, I need to mentioned that I visited London for a conference, which starts at 9 am (just to share my feelings). Finally I got my board (jagged and dirty) along with the iron with big dark fat spots on the bottom, closed to 8 am. Well, good start of the day, I was thinking running to the conference. do you want to hear the continuation of this story? After 1st day at the conference, I got back to the hotel at 1820 and requested an iron and board from the reception. One hour later I gave a call to the reception to remind about my request. do you wanna bet if I manage to get requested item that evening? you are totally right, both things have been delivered to me next morning at 7 am. conclusion, taking into consideration the recession in Europe, such things like iron and board have became luxury items, so, book them in advance. Have fun.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Giselle122, Manager at BEST WESTERN Swiss Cottage Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay with us.

I apologize for the lack of communication with regards to your request for an iron and ironing board and will be investigating further into how this happened. Currently we have irons and boards on a request basis but I am happy to inform you, as a direct consequence of this review, that we are looking into providing irons and boards in all bedrooms as a new standard.

I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and bringing this matter to my attention.

Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN Swiss Cottage Hotel? Share your experiences!