“dump” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bayswater Inn

You added Bayswater Inn to your Saves list
Bayswater Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8-16 Princes Square | Bayswater, London W2 4NT, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #867 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed last weekend with my wife having booked hotel as part of a package.
Hate to be nasty but this place is a dump. Scaffolding outside is no big deal haowever the first room we were given - top floor room - was tiny with a bed that looked like a camper style bed. The bathroom was dirty with a hole in the wall beneath the sink and it stunk to high heaven.
Second room was a bit better and was clean but I was so angry at the cheek of them thinking the first room would be acceptable to anyone.
The breakfast was of prison standard.
A nice touch was a used condom that sat in a corner of the stairs for our whole two day stay.
Sorry but this is a one of the worst.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Be aware of this 'hotel'. It is the most vile accommodation I have ever stayed in. I have noticed that a few people have supplied positive reviews for this place. I can only assume that they are hotel staff/managers who are trying to save face and balance out the heavy flow of bad reviews for this nightmare. I booked 3 nights stay at the Bayswater Inn in late November 2012 and left the hotel after 1 night.

Upon arriving for my 3 night stay I was given Room 15 in the basement of the hotel. I was immediately shocked when I first entered the basement level as it smelled very heavily of paint fumes due to a lot of construction that was taking place on the basement level of the hotel. The fumes were extremely overpowering. I was also shocked when I entered the room that I was given. It was a very dated and worn room with a very small bed and the room appeared to be very dirty - nothing at all like the description on the website which described it as 3 star accommodation and having 'stylish' rooms. In addition to this the room smelt heavily of mildew and the towels provided in the bathroom smelt unwashed and were damp.

I tried to connect to the Internet on my phone which usually has great service. In this room however, none. As I was working in London it was imperative for me to be available at all times by phone and email - I had neither in this room. I went upstairs to the front desk and asked for another room higher up due to the lack of reception as well as the fact that I was given a room that was back to back with the hotels lift machinery room which made a very loud and disturbing vibration in the room.

I was shown a room on the ground floor (a tiny room where you had to shuffle sideways to get to the bed and duck under the low wall to reach the shower) however when I returned to the front desk I was told I could not have this room as it was to be taken that evening making the viewing of the room pointless. It was incredibly confusing. I was told there were no alternative rooms available for me to change to but I was welcome to try again in the morning.

Throughout the night I was woken repeatedly by the loud noises coming from the lift machinery room. I was also kept awake by the state of the tiny single bed which was very worn down to the point where every spring could be felt. It felt empty of any padding. I was then woken after 2 hours sleep at 5am by the hotels managerial team yelling in the hallways in what sounded like Polish (this continued throughout the morning), clearly paying no consideration to their guests. I knew they were managerial staff as the lady who was yelling in the hallway outside my room came up to the front desk and interrupted me while I was talking to the receptionist about getting another room which I found incredibly rude but unsurprised by at this point. They were also being very aggressive to the cleaning staff at around 9am, personally criticizing their work. Though I agreed with the fact that the cleaners work was not good following the discovery of what appeared to be sunflower seeds littering the dirty carpet of my room showing that the room had not been cleaned very well prior to my check in, I found it incredibly unprofessional to be so aggressive toward the staff with no regard of who was around or asleep. No consideration was given to any of the hotel basements guests whatsoever.

This carried on repeatedly until 9.30am. Along with this the hotel carried out drilling and other construction to the interior of the basement level of the adjoining hotel as well as the hallways of the Bayswater Inn from around 7am making it impossible to sleep or relax. Builders repeatedly walked through the hotel and past my room banging walls and knocking their ladders against things.

At 9.30 I went back to the front desk to make a further complaint about the state of the room and it's conditions as well as the behavior of the hotel staff. I was told that the staff would be spoken to but they were not as it continued long after I returned to my room resulting in me asking them to adjust their volume myself. This was ignored. I was also told that I would not be able to take another room as they were fully booked.

When I returned to my room I decided that I was not willing to stay in the room or the hotel for the remaining two nights. I decided to take photos of the room and the conditions. Upon inspecting the bed due to feeling the springs all night I noticed that the mattress was in fact covered in a serious mold problem. The entire length and width of the mattress was covered in it. I was absolutely mortified that not only would this hotel allow its guests to sleep in such dirty, noisy, aggressive conditions but would also inflict such serious health risks upon its guests. Mold can be very poisonous. I was disgusted and furious.

I then left the room and checked out. Upon checking out I explained the situation to the front desk clerk for a 3rd time including the mattress issues. There was no offer to relocate me or offer of an apology. I told him that I would be requiring a full refund and compensation for this hotel stay. He told me I would have to contact the company who provided the voucher for my stay. I asked him if I could have something to show that I had checked out early and he said that the company who provided the voucher for my stay would be able to contact them and find out I checked out two days early.

I was then forced to find alternative accommodation outside London which resulted in my plans for the week having to be entirely rearranged and incurring additional costs.

This was without doubt the most revolting accommodation I have ever seen in all my years traveling and I have stayed in a lot of hotels. I have since read a LOT of similar reviews as mine on Trip Advisor, one where the manager responded to a bad review (if you read this, though I know you will have received my complaint through the company I booked with, I am sure potential customers would be enlightened to see how you are able to explain the vile standards you inflict on customers paying hard earned money to sleep on a moldy mattress etc).

Book this hotel at your own risk. This is the first time that I have reviewed a hotel but felt it my responsibility to warn people about the hotels extremely poor sanitary and staff conditions. It takes a lot for me to complain about a hotel - I am usually content with a basic room for me to lay my head as I tend to be away from the hotel during the day however a hotel is not what this is. What I don't expect is to sleep in filth for £70 per night next to a machinery room, on top of a moldy mattress while aggressive staff including managers yell all morning over the top of construction. THAT is completely unacceptable. Since showing the photos to others they have been equally disgusted, particularly in the state of the bed and I have made a formal complaint not just to the company I booked through for a refund but I also am in the process of making the UK trading standards aware of this. i have also been told by the company I booked the hotel through that my complaint has been forwarded to the hotel manager who has not acknowledged any of these issues or taken any responsibility for the state of the rooms - even given the photographic evidence that has been taken - Be very VERY aware. I would give this hotel a mark well into the negatives if I could.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The location of this hotel is great, with two tube stations just minutes away. In addition, the neighborhood feels safe and the surrounding shops and pubs are wonderful to poke around in.
After reading reviews of this hotel I was rather worried but I was very pleasantly surprised. The staff is incredibly helpful and the reception area looks very nice.
The room we had was huge and rather clean. I have to admit the carpet looked dingy and disgusting so I wore shoes or slippers so as not to touch it, however the bathroom was incredibly clean (I did a thorough inspection because I had heard that it is usually disgusting).
The breakfast was edible and they offer quite an extensive selection of different foods (eggs, sausage, beans, joghurt, diff. breads, marmelade, juice, cereal).
Another plus for this hotel was that I was able to use the luggage room free of charge twice.
Now to the reason I didn't give this hotel a better rating: There was one fault that left me incredibly annoyed: The hot water didn't work. Once I had to take a shower in tepid water, the other time it was just plain cold. While everything else was perfect and suited my needs, a cold shower during winter months just isn't something I get over quite so easily.
However, I believe I would book this hotel again because generally you get what you pay for: a cheap hotel in a good location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I booked my daughter into this Hotel in March. She was to have a 9 day stay in London before joining an European Contiki tour. I have since read the poor reviews and warned my daughter that it may not be a good hotel. She was very much surprised. From the moment she arrived till she left (9 nights in all) My daughter was treated with kindness, compassion and the staff could not do enough to help her stay in London be a good one. My daughter said the room was clean, the tv worked and the hotel was close to shops and restaurants. It was not noisy and the bed was comfortable. The linen and towels were "as new" Even though she would tell them not to bother cleaning her room, it was done daily. She cannot think of any complaints about the hotel. She was in one of the newly renovated rooms and said the Hotel was gradually getting a full face lift. The breakfast choices were good. The problem with breakfast was that other tourists would not let her sit at their table where there was an empty seat. They would shoo her away and say this table is reserved. She was not used to this type of behaviour and would eat elsewhere if she could not get a seat. I can only think it was this type of rude tourist who have been giving this Hotel bad reviews. My daughter has already recommended this hotel to a few friends that will be travelling to London in the near future. I would also like to personally thank the Staff for assisting my daughter half way through her stay when her medical condition required urgent assistance. If it had not been for their prompt action when requested by us and contacting the para medics, the situation may have been critical. The service given does not reflect a poorly run Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
CATTERICK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I should have known things were going to be bad as the first impression is a building cladded in scaffolding so we walked past several times. The Hotel was clean which is the only good thing i can say. We arrived late and went straight to our quad room and what were amazed to find 4 single put up beds with mattresses covered in plastic. We were informed breakfast started at 8am on Saturday and had to wait outside the restaurant along with half the other guests. Breakfast was what can only be described as a self service chaotic cafe. My advice to anyone wishing to stay here would be to spend a bit more and book elsewhere to avoid being disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ylojarvi, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I looked for a cheap hotel to stay but with as good location as possible. This was the first reason to select this hotel. I was not disappointed. The underground is near, a couple of pubs nearby, plenty of restaurants in a walking distance and the most important thing - the region felt safe.

I checked the hotel photos online beforehand. Those are a bit misleading of the general interior and its quality. The interior really is rather outdated and the sofas in the lobby are perhaps the worse that should be changed today or fixed somehow. However, who comes to London to stay in the lobby so this is not a major worry.

With some simple changes inside, this hotel would be so much better.

No complaints about the cleanliness. I spent last vacation in a hotel with 5 stars according to their grades and it had cockroaches running all over the hallways and one big one in our room. In Bayswater, none.

Mattress was quite bad, i had to soften it with the other covet (had a twin-room). Pillows ok, covets ok.

I have nothing to complain about the staff. They did what they were supposed to do, but just nothing extra. I guess that is quite good evaluation of the whole hotel. Nothing extra, but bearable. Would not give 3 stars, perhaps 2 stars would be more correct before they make some improvements. Because of the location, i could go again with the price we had the rooms.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask not to have the rooms that are in the basement. We had those and it was not as bad...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Type: twin
I know this is quite lengthy but describes at best my experience so here is first an abstract.
Cleanliness: Okay – Good (7/10)
Comfort: bad (because of the mattress and tiny pillows) (2/10)
Morning staff: rather rude (3/10)
Evening staff: (8/10)
Facilities (inc. Internet): 3/10 (Paid for,low coverage, get disconnected often if not close the reception)
Price: Good for a last minute
OVERALL: Bad maybe terrible 2/10
Would I return: Definite No, unless there is no other choice.
Recommend: Not, But it might get miraculously a bit better after the renovation, if they focus on improving the customer experience and not on using the shinier front to increase the price only.

DESCRIPTION:
I have had the the chance of trying many different hotels around London and across Europe, my usual is 3 to 4 stars, sometimes 5. In the last 48h I have tried two hotels the Reem next door which I will review later, and the BayswaterInn in Notting Hill, close to Bayswater tube station.
I will make bullet points to make it easy to read: Please do keep in mind that I have taken voluntarily 12h of break in order to cool off and not sound too “anti” this hotel. But then again this is one’s unfortunate experience, it could hopefully be much better for somebody else.
Pro Bayswater Inn:
-Price: (for 9 nights) paid around 70ish/night for a twin room including breakfast booked on the same day of check-in.
-Location: Notting hill, Bayswater
-The hotel and some of the rooms are quite spacious which is always good.
-The reception looks more or less nice while entering the hotel.
-The in-room kettle was very clean which is actually rarer for hotels using old kettles than someone would think and it can tell how well the rooms are cleaned and managed.
-The gentleman working at night in the reception is polite and friendly.
Cons: (Deep breath)
-Please have a look at the pictures first: The hotel is under renovations which were not mentioned except with a little A4 paper on the front desk, then again well… it’s a bit late the reservation doesn’t allow to cancel less than 24h before the check-in.
- The staff is quite unfriendly, and rude (only morning one so far), The feeling is simple to describe: the gentleman is bored and doesn’t like his job and doesn’t care much about what is happening around. I asked upon arrival to look at the rooms briefly I was replied word for word : “Go, sit down over there”, I looked confused while a colleague of his came closer to talk to him and got a second reminder “I told you to go have a seat I will check if you can see the room” while turning around. (I could be reading too much into it).
-Internet: I am currently writing the review from the reception as the charged “in-room WIFI internet” does not reach all the rooms. Yes I got the jackpot, on the edge of the coverage and nobody can blame my gaming-laptop it has an excellent receiver.
-Back to the renovation: We were given a room on the ground floor that was facing the builders working there, and were assured by the receptionist that the job that was being carried was not noisy, painting and all. As you can see from some of the pictures this is not the case, they were breaking some bits of the walls and replacing/fixing parts of the front façade.
To enumerate others: The windows don’t seal properly, and are not double glazed which make the room a little noisy and cold but it is not unbearable so far, however the central heater is kept on low so the room cannot be warmed up to counted the window issue. The mattresses go in very deeply and the rest of the furniture is some of the cheapest out there but that again beside the mattresses it doesn’t really matter.
As a summary:
I do hope this review ends up being useful, I am genuinely disappointed with the experience but would not go as far as telling you not to try your luck, and if you do, I hope you get a much better experience and remember: enjoy your stay in London, you’re not there only for the hotel.

To end it well here is the funny part: I still got more than a week to spend here... it's funny cuz it's true.. :(

Room Tip: Apparently, some of the rooms have new furniture like the one I had, Though it is still not comforta...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bayswater Inn? Share your experiences!