“Lovely hotel with lovely staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 Pepys Street, London EC3N 4AF, England (Formerly Mint Hotel Tower of London)   |
Special Offer
Save 20% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #153 of 1,065 Hotels in London
preston
“Lovely hotel with lovely staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here with hubby for a weekend break. Unfortunately when we arrived they were in the midst of a power cut and could not check us in, so we returned several hours later only to find that the power was still off. The staff however relocated us and many other arriving guests, to their sister hotels. This was undertaken in a very professional and systematic way. The hotel paid for the taxi tranfers and made all arrangments with the new hotel. We were give a choice of the Westminster Hilton or London bridge. We chose the latter but returned the following day to the Hilton Doubletree when all their power cut problems had been resolved. They upgraded us and gave us free drinks vouchers for the inconvenience. This, I thought was a lovely gesture. We also had our warm cookie on arrival. The room was on the10th floor so had a lovely view. It was spacious and clean. There was free bottled water in the room and fridge available. The hotel has a wonderful indoor ad outdoor bar on the 12th floor. From these, you can have a wonderful view of the city and in particular, the Tower of London and London bridge, The drinks here are reasonable considering we were in the centre of the Capital. The bar snacks were good. The evening meals was lovely and well presented. This is a very classy hotel, beautifully designed and the decor has been well thought out. However the nicest bit about our stay was the staff! From the receptionist who got us transferred to the other hotel during the powercut, to the waiters that served our meals,they were all fantastic and seemed genuinely happy in their work. (either that or they are all very good actors!) These staff are a credit to the hotel and I would like to thank them for making our stay so good.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher level for marvellous views
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I were due to stay at this hotel 26-28th July, however on arrival the hotel had no power. The check-in staff attended to us very quickly and advised that because they had no power they could not check us in at that time (this was however already earlier than the allowed check-in time, but the staff were willing to help). They stored our bags away for us and advised to have a drink in one of their bars until the power was up and running again. We decided to have a drink in the rooftop bar, which was on the 12th floor (with no lifts, this was a long trek up the stairs!) Once we were at the top though the views of the Tower were amazing and because the power was out we also got a couple of free drinks - bonus! Once the power was up and running again, we went back down to reception where we were advised that the water wasn't working correctly and that we were being changed hotels. We were given the option of Westminister or Canary Wharf. We chose Westminister as we were in London to sightsee so this was a perfect choice. They got us in a taxi straight away and we didn't have to pay a penny. Although we didn't end up staying at this hotel, the experience we had with them was great and I think they handled the power cut very well.

Lexington, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the doubletree during our first visit to London and this is a great hotel. Staff is extremely courteous and helpful with every detail of our visit. Hotel is clean spacious and new. Very happy with our choice to stay here and would highly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed July 2013
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed here for work donkey's ago when it was a Mint.

Took advantage of the deeply discounted weekend rates for a mini-break in London. Check-in due at 15:00 we arrived at 12:00 midday to ask if we could drop our bags, only to be told our rooms were ready. The chap who checked us in established the tone for the whole stay; welcoming, charming and oh-so-helpful, as was every other staff member we encountered. The check-in process was faultless, we did have to wait a few minutes for it to begin but that's to be expected if you turn up early! We had a 'queen' room up on the eighth floor on the inside of the tower so no view, but the room was bright and spotlessly clean and very well soundproofed. And includes an iMac to complement the free hotel wifi! Fantastic night's sleep in a very comfy bed.

Up on the twelfth floor is a bar with what has to be one of the best hotel views in the city. The bar ain't cheap as a result but well worth a visit nonetheless.

Breakfast... the lift down was packed and we fully expected a wait. Not at all, we were at our table in the very busy and very well staffed City Cafe in less than a minute. They make good coffee and the range of food available for breakfast was splendid. I recommend the croissants!

Sundays they allow a free late check-out up until 15:00 so we arranged a 14:00 check-out so we could visit the Tower of London which is literally just a couple of minutes walk away. When we checked out my heart sank a little when the receptionist had 'trainee' on her name badge. No idea why I was worried, she was a gem.

I will be recommending this place to all my friends and family as an alternative to Montcalm at the Brewery which, though great for a weekend is a little off the beaten track in comparison)

(An aside; 100m from the hotel on Seething Lane is the recently opened Draught House Seething one of a small chain of London Draught House pubs. They do an excellent range of beers, probably the best in London, and good value food. Very handy for this hotel if real ale or Belgian beer is your thing.)

Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Good quality hotel perfect for a weekend in London. Room was spacious with modern fixtures and fittings including the trade mark Apple Mac which Hilton provide for free wi-fi and TV. Staff on check in were very friendly and efficient, couldn't do more.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I recently stayed in the DoubleTree Hilton when travelling to London with work. The room rate (£180 per night), was supposed to include breakfast but for some reason this had been forgotten when booked so I was on a room only basis. I was asked if I wanted to have breakfast for £15 per day and I did for the first day, but then decided it was too expensive.

First impressions of the hotel were good. It's a short walk from the tube station (Tower Hill), but it does take a bit of finding - I had to ask twice for directions. Once I found it I was greeted with an airy reception, with plenty of staff available for the check in process. The girl checking me in was lovely and the process was very quick. I also got given a hot chocolate cookie, which was a nice touch.

The room I was allocated (423) was a decent size room, with an apple TV and a double bed. The room did have air conditioning, but the week I was there it was so hot that the aircon didn't do much more than make the room slightly cooler and my window seemed to open out onto a bar and some kind of glass recycling plant, based on the noise. The bathroom was small, but perfectly acceptable and had good towels and amenities.

Due to the work I was doing I ended up eating in the hotel restaurant three nights out of 4. The quality of the food seemed to be on a sliding scale from the first visit to the last, starting with a lovely butternut squash soup and nice burger on the Monday. Wednesday was a nice pea soup and an ok steak. Thursday was an insipid tomato soup and fish and chips, which were just about acceptable but not worth £13.50 or whatever it was I paid. Drinks are also extremely expensive (£5 for a small bottle of peroni) and there is a 12.5% service charge added to the bill.

Checkout was just as easy as checking in with no delays.

In conclusion, if I was put up here by work then I'd have no complaints but I wouldn't pay to stay here myself.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Excellent value for money, Very friendly and helpful staff. Allowed us to check in early. Room very comfortable and quiet. Excellent choice and quality for breakfast and did not have to wait long for table. Quick and convenient checkout.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London -Tower of London? Share your experiences!