“Convenient location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle Euston

You added Thistle Euston to your Saves list
Thistle Euston
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   43 Cardington Street | Euston, London NW1 2LP, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #219 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Yorkshire
“Convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here one night for work. The computer systems were down when I arrived but the staff were charming and worked hard to check everyone in. My double room was comfortable but small, as others have said. The bathroom was well equipped with bath and shower over it. My room was quiet, but with no view, it looked out over the backs of the building.

The hotel was extremely busy and there was a queue for tables at breakfast. Once seated the service was good, there were a lot of staff who would bring porridge, omelette etc as well as the buffet offer.

I've stayed in nicer hotels but it is very convenient for Euston, St Pancras and Kings Cross Stations. I would stay again, particularly if I could get a good price. The staff made it a good experience.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Leeds, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here mid week as a business traveller for one night. I know previous reviewers have said it is expensive but not sure what they are comparing it to. The prices can fluctuate massively so its worth doind a comparison but on the night I wanted to stay, the Premier Inn on Euston Road quoted £175, the Pullman (my favourite hotel) over £200 so at £130 for one night stay it was one of the the cheapest in its class.

The Good
The hotel has been recently refurbished so the hotel itself and rooms are all sparkly and new. The carpets still bouncy. The bathroom squeaky clean. My room was a deluxe double so the bed was huuuuge and the room itself was a decent size. We didn't eat or drink in the bar but it all looked very shiny new. The shower was a good powerful shower. The receptionist was polite and friendly and both check in and check out were quick and easy. If you want food the hotel is a short walk to Drummond Street which has some of the best indian restaurants in London. As a regular in the area I prefer Shah's at the far end but have heard good reviews of the others too. There is also the crown and anchor on Drummond street for gastro pub style food but my last meal there was disappointing so not sure I woudl recommend it anymore. You also have a myriad of chain food style places in Euston station itself such as Nandos and Pret etc.

The Bad
The location is at the back of the station and the area is not one of the best areas in London. As it was summer and a nice evening there were lots of people around so the walk down the road wasn't at all threatening. However, I know people at work who won't stay here due to the walk as there is the back of the station at one side and a 'park' (barely a step up from wasteland with railings) on the other. In winter and a dark night I would not want to be walking here as a lone female. Also if you have lots of luggage, the hotel is long and flat so it was quite a way from the lift to the room and included a short flight of stairs. As is typical in London hotels they do not show you to your room so you have to navigate the door opening and stair climbing on your own. There was an American lady complaining about this as I checked in so if you have a lot of heavy luggage or struggle walking you may want to ask for a room closer to the elevator. But I can imagine this makes it noisier (see below)

The Ugly
The noise....oh my word. I had asked for a quiet room but my room was on the second floor above the road. The traffic noise lasted until the early hours and started again at 5am with the hotel industrial bins being emptied seemingly underneath my window. Then there are the road works, again directly outside the hotel which started at 7am. The hotel itself seemed to be just internally noisy. Doors slamming at all hours, people shouting in corridors. TVs on loud until late. The walls and doors of the room seemingly did little to stem the noise. I have to say one of the noisiest hotels in London I have stayed in. I always take earplugs which helped a litttle, my other half does not but sleeps like the dead and even he said 'wow it was noisy last night'. If quiet is what you are after then this is not the hotel for you.On the basis that when I am staying away on business sleep is the most important issue so I have knocked the rating down on this basis.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road which might be quieter. The road facing rooms are noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights B&B mid May. Hotel very convenient for Euston station but not cheap (we paid £175 for one night and £125 for the other). Staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble, same applies to staff in restaurant at breakfast; perfect.
Our double room was modern and clean although rather small, it overlooked the park. Toiletries in bathroom were very basic, no conditioner or hand lotion or shoe shine, I expect these as a minimum in this grade hotel, particularly if I'm paying £175 per night; also there was no fridge/mini-bar in the room.
A couple of comments about the breakfast on the first day, the bacon was very tough, almost inedible - worst I have ever had in a hotel; grilled tomatoes were raw and warm and hence not grilled - both these things were OK on the second day - suggestion for hotel - get your cooks to try the food they serve !
Overall we enjoyed our stay and have stayed here 4 or 5 times previously. However, I wouldn't stay again at the price of £175 per night B&B, I think there are better value hotels available.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WInnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Thistle brand has undergone quite a change in some properties, and this is one. Tucked away behind Euston station, it is extremely convenient for the station, and access into town. It is really a "business" hotel, but comfortable, well appointed and clean.

The neighbourhood is uninspiring, but for an overnight stay, I would use the property again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

booked twin bed at short notice;large ,bright and airy room and lovely staff.Great breakfast too and lovely evening meal.We had had a stressful week in London abd this was a great last night to chill out and relax.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We booked the Thistle for 2 nights and had a great stay. We arrived early on Friday and were able to check in straight away, we mentioned it was our first wedding anniversary and the kind lady moved our room to one overlooking the park - which was pleasant. Rooms were clean tidy and modern , bed was massive and room was a good size. Breakfast was great, something for everyone. Location was absolutely perfect - only 2 minutes walk from Euston. A taxi back from soho to the hotel was £11 - this was after midnight.
Staff were very accommodating and polite, the concierge service was very useful as we had a 3 hr wait after checking out until our train.
Overall, great stay, great hotel at a great reasonable price for London.
Only negative - only one lift was working, on a busy bank holiday this was a tad frustrating but the only thing from stopping me from giving this hotel a 5.

Room Tip: Deluxe double overlooking the park - good value for money
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here 1 night because we were going to a show. It was convenient for the train station and the price was reasonable in London hotel terms. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was clean and comfortable.
We didn't eat there in the evening but did have the full English breakfast, since it was included. There was a good selection of hot food, but fried eggs are never good kept warm! The fried bread was like a brick and tasted of stale oil. Tomatoes weren't cooked enough, fried potatoes were hard and also tasted of stale oil, so I left most of the breakfast, and felt bloated and could taste that oil all day. It was very unpleasant. On top of that, as soon as I had something else to eat, everything reacted and upset my stomach, causing reflux and the runs. I don't normally have a sensitive stomach, so it came as a surprise.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Thistle Euston? Share your experiences!