“Very pleasant stay, will stay again.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle Euston

You added Thistle Euston to your Saves list
Thistle Euston
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   43 Cardington Street | Euston, London NW1 2LP, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #217 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant stay, will stay again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed at the Thistle at the end of November for the first time. It's definitely a hotel I would choose to stay at again.
If you plan to get the train into London Euston, or park your car here (we've done both of these pretty regularly), you really can't fault the location - it's literally a stones throw from the station, so is very handy.
On arrival at the hotel, we received a warm and professional welcome and were quickly directed to our room. The room we were initially allocated was on the ground floor and was the very first room as you entered the corridor. We were a little dubious about how quiet this might be, so asked if we could be moved to a room upstairs instead, which the reception staff did quickly, professionally and with no fuss whatsoever.
The rooms themselves are spotlessly clean, with a good bathroom and shower, plenty of toiletries and towels, tea/coffee making facilities with biscuits, flat screen TV - everything needed for a comfortable stay.
The bed was very comfortable, we weren't disturbed by any noise from the hotel staff or other guests and we both had an excellent nights sleep. With heating/air con function within the room, we were able to have the room at just the right temperature.
Breakfast was very good indeed - tea and coffee is brought to your table and then there is a buffet service of english breakfast, continental, cereals, pastries, etc. There is also the option to have eggs cooked to order if you wish.
Whilst this wasn't the cheapest place we've ever stayed in within central London, I would be willing to pay that little bit extra to stay here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Linlithgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I was booked into this hotel for an overnight stay on business, as it was close to the offices.
On arrival in the foyer, there are several small reception desks and checking in is quick and efficient. Finding the room was a bit different - I was in a ground floor room and it must have taken me a couple of minutes to locate the corridor to one side of the bar!
The room was neat and clean, with a nice desk for doing some work. The Air Conditioner warmed the room nicely (it was a chilly 18 degrees when I arrived) but later that night I realised that it was a bit noisy so had a choice between warmth and silence. Given that the bed was extremely comfortable and the quilt snugly warm I opted for no Air Conditioning so that I could get a sound sleep.
Having reviewed the evening menu for the restuarant I opted to go out so am unable to comment on the evening meal.
Breakfast was quite good however and set me up nicely for the day. The normal Cereals, crosisants etc were on offer along with the hot breakfast bar staffed by a chef. Had a very nice fried egg, bacon, suasage and mushrooms along with toast.

Essex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I think my title says it all. The check in was fast and friendly. The room was clean, clear and bright. I was in late and out early so can not comment on the restaurants but no reason to suspect anything but the were good.

Recommended.

Room Tip: Room not facing the station would be a little quiter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Barry South Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed here for work (2 nights). At first I was given a room on the ground floor next to the car park with single glazed window that did not shut properly. From a security aspect, and as the weather was minus Moscow in temperature, I turned on my heel and was allocated a much nicer room on the first floor.

This is an older building and the aircon/heating requires a total over haul. This is my main gripe, which may have not been evident during warmer months. The system is extremely noisy and appears to have a mind of its own,. Some of the public areas were ridiculously cold. Other gripes. My sink was blocked, my room not made up upon my return on the first evening, and there is no heat that gets to the bathroom which makes it very uncomfortable as it is the one place where you are going to need to take your clothes off. The bar and food tariff are off the scale, even for London. Two large glasses of wine - £17. A glorified burger and chips - £15.95.

Its not all bad, there is good stuff going on here. The staff are very helpful, the food is really good. I stayed at the IBIS which is just up the road in June, and on balance I think I would rather stay there again than at this hotel, especially in the winter months. The hotel is in an excellent location and handy for central London.

Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Booked on lastminute.com for about £100 a night, perhaps not a lot in london terms but plenty enough for me!

Good check in and friendly staff. First room was not nice, window didnt shut properly so draughty and was only single glazed anyway with a couple of fans whirring noisily outside; (they asked when I checked in had I booked through lastminute.com so cynically couldn't help feeling this was reason for shoddy room)! I said I wasn't happy with room and got moved to nicer room on 4th floor promptly so that was well resolved.

Going to bed that night though my sister's duvet had a large ink stain on the underneath. The next morning there was no hot water for showers and the towel I had I found had a large blood stain on it! Obviously not the best, so reported all this to reception and they apologised and gave up complimentary breakfasts. Breakfasts were good and plentiful, do not think I'd pay for them though as costly!

The location cannot be faulted, close to train and underground, and walking distance to Camden. Staff are very nice and resolved the issues we had. I don't think I would stay here again however due to the dubious house keeping mainly.

• Stayed December 2012
Beverley, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I booked this hotel for my friend and I to spend a weekend in London. We arrived early (11.30am) and even though check in wasn't until 2.00pm we were given a key to our room.

At first we were given a double room a mistake which was quickly rectified by the guy (sorry forgot his name) who checked us in. He even took is to the 2nd room and could not apologise enough for the mistake .

Every member of staff were polite and friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

The beds were very comfortable and bathroom spacious for a London hotel.

Breakfast was very efficient and the staff very attentive. There was plenty to choose from and it was all well presented. The only little thing we thought could have improved was where the toaster was placed. This caused confusion with some guests who were waiting for the cooked breakfast.

This hotel is less than a 5 minute walk to Euston station which was a great link to the centre. It was also only a 20 minute walk to Camden.

Room Tip: If you are alight sleeper I would recommend a room facing the park.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Had to go to London for drinks with business colleagues in Regent Street, but as the West End hotels were either fully booked or asking £300+, we ended up in Euston.
Location was OK from Paddington (200m from Euston Square tube) and not bad for Regent Street. From the outside the Hotel looked like a 1970's office block but the foyer seemed to have had a recent re-vamp; Marble floor, leather sofas, flat screen TV's and big glass vases. Plenty of check-in staff and fairly efficient. My room was functional and clean but the bathroom was tiny. So much so, that I banged my head on the shower screen when arising form the toilet! (This was before any drink had been taken.) The shower itself was a decent size with overhead drencher and hand-held power spray, not too shabby!
Only negatives were when we tried to get a drink on the way out: "Which lagers do you have?, "Becks or Stella", "2 Becks please", "Sorry Becks is off." "OK, Stella then" "Sorry the Stella is being changed as well." We'll be off then...."
Also, I booked an alarm call for 8.30 and was awoken at 6.20 ! Not good.
Overall not a bad stop-over if your preferred location is unavailable and the breakfast was very nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Thistle Euston? Share your experiences!