“The Rembrandt-A masterpiece.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Rembrandt

You added The Rembrandt to your Saves list
The Rembrandt
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Thurloe Place | Knightsbridge, London SW7 2RS, England (South Kensington)   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #276 of 1,058 Hotels in London
Cape Breton
“The Rembrandt-A masterpiece.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend a week in London during the Nova Scotia March Break. Instead of staying in one hotel for 6 nights I decided to try three different hotels, for 2 nights each. Each successive hotel was also going to be a step up the quality and luxury. The first hotel was the Rembrandt.
Taking the Underground from Heathrow on the Piccadilly Line to South Kensington takes about 45 minutes (Sunday) In the train station there is a underground passage way (a subway) all the way to the Science Museum and also brings you closer to the Albert Hall. My curiosity did add a few minutes to our arrival at the hotel. Finding the hotel is very easy. Just look for the Kazakstan Embassy (Borat fans)
Location: South Kensington across the street from the V&A.
Plusses: Two minute walk from tube station. Food and restaurants nearby, even post theatre options like crepes. Our room faced the quiet gardens of the neighbouring houses. Includes wired and wireless internet in the room. Nice TV. Fabulous Buffet Breakfast (included) with table service for coffee or tea. Two elevators. Our room was ready when we arrived. We were appreciated as guests. Dining staff were friendly and fabulous. Dining room bright and clean with windows facing the garden.
I left my laptop out and plugged in. It wasn’t touched.
Minuses: Room key needed to activate the elevator, which is actually a security plus, although someone could simply board with another rider. The room key might also be needed to activate the room electrics, but there was already a key in the wall unit so we left it there.
Considerations or advice. A great place, although more than our typical budget would allow. Do be careful getting out of the tub/shower. North Americans may not be expecting the additional height of tub. The extra few inches could cause you to lose your balance and fall.
Costs: per night for two people: $263.39 Cdn.
Would I go back? I would stay there for my entire stay in London if I could afford it. Location, transportation links, service and convenience are tops.
From The Rembrandt we moved to Westminster and St. Ermin's Hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the gardens.
1 Thank jstub

Boston.England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

As we like long weekends in London this hotel provides a good location near tube stations and the centre.

We went to a carol concert at the Royal Albert hall just before Christmas, third year running, and the hotel is within walking distance.

Harrods is just up the road and is a comfortable walk from the hotel.

It is a good four star hotel with excellent service for this level of hotel.

We have always found the price very reasonable for London if you book early enough.

The breakfast is superb and varied.

We like the atmosphere and the decor is inviting.

I like to drive to London and always warn that I wish them to park my car when we have unloaded the luggage.

In the main this has not been an issue.

We will certainly return this year.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room and an upgrade
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at the Rembrandt for one night as it was so convenient for The Albert Hall. The hotel was very clean and of smart appearance. The Staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. The room was of an adequate size and tastefully furnished. However the bed was very soft and the TV was slow to work. The bathroom only had a shower which was a bit disappointing as I would have liked a bath. The breakfast was reasonable but no porridge was on offer. The hotel were able to offer gluten free bread as I had requested, however it was inedible! For one night it was fine as the location was brilliant and there was hardly any traffic noise. Not a bad experience overall.

Wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We did not stay in the hotel and after our restaurant experience may feel reluctant to do so. Upon arriving in London we decided to have coffee in the lounge at the Rembrandt hotel. The service was excellent, the lounge comfortable and well appointed so we decided we would return for lunch - BIG MISTAKE!!!! Although, again service excellent, lunch delicious and beautifully presented (congratulations to the Chef), the lunch was spoiled by some of the most unruly, noisy children that I have encountered. I have young nephews and nieces and although their parents are professional people they would not allow such behaviour in their workplace.

I can only assume that the children had some connection to the hotel owners as I cannot imagine that their behaviour would be tolerated under any other circumstances. They ran, continually screaming, around the tables, the dining and lounge area, with little or no intervention from the parents. On times we could barely hear each other speak. This behaviour continued for the whole lunch period and ruined, what would otherwise have been an enjoyable lunch.

The hotel owners should be made aware of this, as we were not the only people who were commenting on their behavior.

2 Thank Carole W
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were thrilled with the Rembrandt. From North American standards, the rooms will seem small, but it is lovely. The staff were pleasant and helpful, the room was clean and nice. The breakfast is fantastic too. We absolutely love the location - right across from V&A, quick walk to Hyde park, short bus to Oxford Street and Central London. Many terrific restaurants all around the hotel. If we return we'd try to stay there again. We had a "free hotel" deal from British Airways. Had we had to pay full price, not sure we could have afforded the Rembrandt.

• 5 of 5 stars

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband booked our first ever trip to London together as a surprise for my 30th! We stayed in Feb this year. We were very excited especially as the website for the rembrandt looked very nice!

The location for the hotel is spot on! Everything you want n need on your doorstep!

Unfortunately we weren't too impressed with the hotel itself! Whilst it is clean n well presented in the reception area n bar area our room was nice but basic! We booked to stay in a double executive room. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in. The pillows were far too high n hard for the bed n on the second night I had to sleep with no pillow at all because I had suffered a really bad back from the night before. The bed also seemed very small - both my husband n I feet were hanging over the bottom n we are both 5 foot 6! To say that this was our weekend away from our two babies I think I got more sleep at home than I did here!

Upon our return home I emailed the general manager of the hotel to make him aware of our dissatisfied stay n that I had suffered a bad back due to their beds n I have not received any response whatsoever - a simple acknowledgement would have sufficed!

• Stayed February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank LauraEve83
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Just got back from London with 2 teenage boys. This location was great. The boys had their own room and we were across the hall. The rooms are kept very clean, breakfast is adequate and convenient, and the location is the best. Minutes to tube station, across from the V & A, and Natural History, close to Harrods and on the Piccadilly line from Heathrow if you care to use it. one night the boys swam in the adjacent health club. Wireless in rooms also. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family