“Ripped of over hotel booked mini cab, beware.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of London Marriott Hotel Kensington

You added London Marriott Hotel Kensington to your Saves list
London Marriott Hotel Kensington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   147 Cromwell Road | Kensington, London SW5 0TH, England (Earls Court)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #325 of 1,066 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Ripped of over hotel booked mini cab, beware.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Needed to get to "the Bank" area in the city, front desk told me I would never get a black cab in the morning, it was too busy, this turned out to be a lie, as the main road outside has a constant stream going past on the other side of road, and that they were expensive. He said it would be cheaper for him to get me a mini cab. I asked how much and was quoted £25, when we arrived the driver demanded £35. I hailed a black cab for the return journey the same distance went £17 on his meter. I spoke to the driver on the trip and he told me that this hotel is renowned for this trick, it's why you rarely see a black cab on the rank outside, as any job that isn't local goes to the front of house staffs favoured mini cab firm, with a proportion going there way. I complained to the staff and was fobbed off.
If you need a cab, hail one from the road outside, the driver of a black cab told me you shouldn't wait more than a minute. Back to Terminal 3 Heathrow the hotel had already quoted me £60, I used a black cab and the fare was £46.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Stayed there last year 11/11/2011.
Had to change rooms twice but three rooms. First was a really niosy room at the rear because if a heating appliance? or something outside the window. Complained and was moved to a room on the front but the window did not open so we had to move again, I like fresh air, if that is possible in London. The final room was ok. All rooms were clean and well equiped. stayed rof three nights. Would recommend but if not happy make your veiws known. Staff very polite and helpful. I got back and complained this time to head office and got the directors email at the hotel from them. so i made my position clear to him and he offered me a free night with breakfast on a date of my choice, also go two other nights (paying for these) at my original price to add to my free night. I am due to return to the same hotel for another three nights on the 19th may 12, so I will be able to give an update to this review then.
Overall a nice hotel but I find it a little expensive.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Mapleton, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I've stayed at the Kensington Marriott three times now and can say that overall the hotel offers an average experience for the hotel visitor. I am a gold level rewards member and so I often receive fairly good treatment at the Marriott chain. Let me say first, that the beds are wonderfully comfortable and the hotel is located just 5 minutes walking distance from the Gloucester tube station. Also, it is right across the street from a grocery store. The negatives are that each time I have stayed there I have been on the second floor and have been awoken multiple times in the night by deliveries being made at the hotel. Also, this time I was next to the service entrance. If you are near the east end of the hotel on the second or third floor, I would highly recommend you ask for a room change. The noise is overwhelming at times. The hotel itself is nice and clean, but the rooms are rather small.

Room Tip: Stay on the west end of the hotel.
Worcestershire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

My family and I have stopped in many Marriott hotels before and have always found them above average or of excellent service. Not so for the Kensington Marriott. I booked two rooms for my family and I back in October 2011 for Fri 20th April-Sun 22nd April 2012 part paying with Tesco reward vouchers. My mother and father were in one standard double and the other for my husband,my daughter and myself. When booking back in October, I told Marriott central reservations that my 12 year old daughter would be staying with us and he said that it would be no problem as a rollaway bed would be provided (as this had been the case with every other room that we have booked with Marriott previously) or a 2nd double bed in the room. Upon arrival the check-in duty manager had no confirmation of this and was totally unaware that our daughter was even staying with us! He pretty much told us that that they do not provide rollaway beds at the Marriott Kensington as the rooms are too small and that we should have booked a room with two doubles in! Ridiculous that we were not informed of this when I did the original booking as I would have been aware. He said that central reservations are aware of the facilities at all their hotels. So it was my fault then?! I got the distinct impression that he thought I was making it up. It actually had rollaway bed requested on the booking confirmation! If this was the case there should have been a facility on the booking system that would not allow this to happen with this particular hotel. I was informed that he could give us a room with two doubles in for that night only,not to unpack anything so concierge could move our bags as we would have to move to our original room the following night and they would get a bed in or a sofa bed in for us. Hello? Could thay have not done that in the first place!! They had seven months in which to have sorted this out between booking and arrival. You would have thought that someone would have asked the question why I had asked for a rollaway bed when it was just my husband and I in one room! We had to wait in reception for half an hour at 8pm whilst they sourced another room. It spoilt the whole experience for my family and I as we could not relax in the hotel which we had been looking forward to our visit to London for many months, knowing we could not unpack our belongings.The duty manager didn't even apologise for the inconvenience of it all and we didn't really enjoy the Saturday in London as we worried that we wouldn't have a room at all upon arriving back to the hotel on the evening. The 2nd night we had a terrible night's sleep in room 30 as it is shoved at the end and you can hear the tube or train going by every few minutes..take your ear plugs! It is not a cheap hotel either, as many four stars are not cheap in London, so to be treated almost lilke a 2nd class citizen when you are paying part Tesco rewards is unacceptable at £191.40 per room per night and we will not be in any hurry to book again! It left us all with a nasty taste in our mouths. There needs to be better communication with reservations and the hotel Marriott kensington and a more polite approach from Basiat on reception!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stayed here on business last weekend. Arrival and check-in very nice, beautiful room with all the amenities you'd need. restaurant was quite slow with the food but the portion sizes were very surprising for a hotel of this standard and the quality was very good too. Breakfast was nice with plenty of choice too. Overall experience of this hotel was positive.

Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

My daughter and I spent 9 days at the Kensington Marriott while visiting another daughter who is studying in London. This was my first time traveling outside of the US and I was very worried about how the trip would go. The front desk staff was very helpful and answered all of my questions - no matter how silly they were! We loved the hotel as it is close to the Gloucester Road tube stop, and there is a grocery store right across the street! A variety of shops, pubs and restaurants are all within walking distance. Also within walking distance are the beautiful parks of London! The front desk staff was very helpful and even offered to upgrade our room as there were spaces available. I would definitely stay there again if I'm ever lucky enough to get to go back to London!

bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights April 5th 2012. We had a lovely room very quiet it was 119 pounds per night and it included a full english breakfast for 2 people daily that alone was 17 pounds each person so 34 pounds a day value. The only thing is its not near anything at all. Its about a 8 min brisk walk to any subway or a 8 pound taxi ride to Harrods for example. But the hotel was really more like 225 pounds per room in London, it was very nice and I travel allot.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room but i think they all are. We always make sure to stay far from an elevator that...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to London Marriott Hotel Kensington? Share your experiences!