“Wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grange Strathmore Hotel

You added Grange Strathmore Hotel to your Saves list
Grange Strathmore Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   41 Queens Gate Gardens, London SW7 5NB, England (South Kensington)   |
Ranked #463 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed for one night during the week as we had a few days away to London to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. After searching endlessly online for a reasonably priced hotel for just one night in central london somehow I came across The Grange Strathmore Hotel and I really was not disappointed. We were 'around' the corner from Harrods, 5 min walk from the tube station with only a few stops away from our Theatre. The staff were all pleasant and the room was really lovely. If only we'd had longer! and yes I would definetly love stay again. My husband always says I'm snobby....and this hotel was right up my street!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for one night and the room was terrible. Having booked a double room I was disappointed to find the room so small there was not enough room to open and unpack a small suitcase.
I have stayed many times in better single rooms in budget hotels.
The room was poorly ventilated and I was glad to leave early the next morning.
Use another Hotel just in case you get room 423.

Room Tip: Too small poorly ventilated.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I booked a room through lastminute.com and on arrival I found out that the room was just a bit larger than a closet so I asked for an upgrade. Kasha (friendly Front Desk staff from Poland) said she could offer me a good deal: £30 to upgrade to a nice twin room and complimentary continental breakfast. Since hotel dealls from lastminute.com is famous for not including breakfast I asked Kasha again if she was sure she could include breakfast, and she confirmed that she could and she would. The following morning I was confronted by the Duty Manager as a liar when I was about to have my breakfast. I suppose what happened was that Kasha forgot to make a note in the computer, but the Duty Manager (Zusana) wouldn't listen. Anyway I have learned my lesson and the best way to make sure whatever good deal that has been agreed on will happen is to see something in writing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

While visiting London recently, I was reminded of the pleasures of staying in one of London’s nicer hotels, the Grange Strathmore, beautifully situated in the fashionable Kensington/Chelsea neighbourhood. The building has maintained the style of an aristocratic mansion and, I understand, is a former residence of the Earl of Strathmore. It is filled with character, old world charm and caring, efficient, employees. As there is little staff turnover, I suspect due to superb management, guests are warmly welcomed and made feel at home. While some may consider rooms not too spacious, from my viewpoint, they are more than adequate, spotlessly clean, with cozy beds, the best of linen and tea/coffee facilities provided. High speed Internet is also available to guests, with complimentary newspapers on the doorstep at the crack of dawn each morning. Breakfast, served in the dining room, is excellent, with lots of choice on the menu and service par excellence. An added bonus is the location, close to all tourist attractions, smart shops, great restaurants, and only a short walk to Gloucester Road tube station. Airport shuttle bus service is easily arranged with the concierge. From my own personal experience, I wouldn’t dream of staying anywhere other than the Grange Strathmore, where management and staff aim to please, with no request unreasonable. Special thanks to an outstanding team!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stayed here on a Sunday night after our flight into London was delayed and we missed the last train home. We got a good discount rate, we both had a good night's sleep on a decent bed, the shower was excellent and the breakfast was fine. The room was a little small and, overall, the hotel is a little old and could perhaps do with a bit of renovation - but, then, that's "character" for some people.
Would stay here again on a discounted rate, but I don't think it's worth the rack rate.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Inverurie, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

The location of this hotel is excellent within easy walking distance of Gloucester Road tube,giving access to 3 lines.The area is decent with plenty of shops and eateries,the museums are close and Harrods not much further.I had a small single room which was very small,tall travellers may have an issue with this .The room and toilet was clean and there was a good selection of tea/coffee.A couple of faults with the room were sorted out immediately.The hotel is in fairly quiet area and i had no problems sleeping as i requested a quiet room.The plumbing is a bit noisey and the corridor doors make a bit of a bang if not shut carefully but overall i was not disturbed.The staff were friendly and attentive,i did not use the expensive restaurant and there was no pressure to do so.Overall i would recommend this hotel to travellers looking for a good location to explore London.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Huddersfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two nights as an alternative to my usual, which had regrettably become just too expensive. I'm not sure however that the saving was worth it. Like similar hotels I've stayed at, this one looks much better on the website than it is when you get there. The interior is generally dingy and cramped (especially the lift) and needs much paler decor. The lounge is very nice and could be in a Scottish stately pile, but there are no bar snacks (sympathetic barman gave me two free pacxkets of peanuts!) and the evening dinner menu is very restricted. The wifi is extortionate and the concierge helpfully spent about an hour in my room trying to get my laptop to accept their cable connection, which has never happened before. Other grumbles were that two out of the three wall lights in my room (one of the small attics on the fifth floor, plenty of exercise!) did not work, the concierge replaced the bulbs, however the phone did not work when I left, two days after I reported it, thank goodness for mobile phones. One of the previous reviewers had a similar problem. The TV was virtually uncontrollable with the remote supplied. Being July in London it was very hot, especially at the top of a five storey building, the two outside windows were very high up and did open, but the central one did not as it had a sheet of plastic 'do it yourself' secondary glazing taped over, a real bodge.
Service at breakfast was prompt and cheerful, although choice was a bit limited and of course you have to pay extra for full English. Overall, not sufficiently better value for money to return I fear.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Grange Strathmore Hotel? Share your experiences!