“A bit tired” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury

You added Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury to your Saves list
Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coram Street | Russell Square, London WC1N 1HT, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #425 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Stockholm
“A bit tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

With its dark interiors, saggy old carpets and suspect plumbing, London-hotels are seldom worth its price (at least not below 5 stars). @ Holiday Inn they apparently cater to non anglo-saxons since at least the interiors are light (white) and fresh and the bathroom does neither have a carpet and the plumbing works!!!
The lobby, breakfast and bar area are all in cool modern, somewhat minimalistic design which is refreshing after staying at typical London hotel with ostentatious/sullen receptions.
However it is all superficial (obviously not the light interior though). Door handles are loose, elevators ramshackle and the corridors a bit claustrophobic.
Staff proffessional (they usually are at those chains arent they) and location really good.
All in all it was an OK stay (better than the Bayswater tourist ghetto anyway) but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to stay here.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

A comfortable hotel of about three star standard . The good points: well located about 10-15 mins walk to St Pancras for the Eurostar. The location is also handy as there are a number of shops and restaurants nearby, including a supermarket - also close to the tube. Check in was efficient and they put allowed me into the room early by 10am. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well. Check out was also very efficient as was collecting my bag at the end of the day.

The things which were not so good...my room was really small, barely half a metre between the end of the bed and the wall. It had no mini-bar or working fridge which was annoying. To be fair they did ask me on check in if I would use anything in the mini-bar and I said probably not, nevertheless I still would have liked a fridge to store a few items. Very unexciting view from the window of the inside of the building - there was a generator of some sort outside my window, probably an AC unit humming the whole time. They were unable to call me a taxi at the front of the hotel and I had to walk to the main street to flag one down.

So overall I thought it was not bad for London, but not the best place I have stayed either.

• Liked — Location, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Small room, no working fridge/mini-bar
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Richmond, Va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

This was our first time to London and we wanted to stay somewhere close to the British Museum.

Location was great....the room itself was incredibly small, which is fine, but the mini-bar/fridge didn't work and that was a problem since we had medication with us that we needed to keep cold.

Normally something small like that wouldn't have bothered me, but the fact that we were paying double for this room (since the dollar sucks at the moment) I was pretty irritated.

We didn't contact the front desk because we had JUST brought all of our bags up to the room and didn't really want to change rooms.

Now, while the room itself was fine, the walls at this hotel are INCREDIBLY thin. I could hear our neighbor cough. I could hear everything happening out on the street. I could hear the elevator all night. It was terrible. I didn't get any sleep.

So...location of this hotel is great, staff was adequate, but if you need a good night's rest....spend your money elsewhere.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hampshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for two nights recently for our Wedding Anniversary. We had an Executive Room which was clean, comfortable and large enough. The Air Conditioning worked perfectly, almost to the point of being too cold.

One thing that I was impressed about, was the fact that putting the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door before we went to bed, actually meant that we didn't get disturbed in th morning (we had had a late night and needed the sleep!!) I have stayed at many HI's in the past where this wasn't the case. And believe me....it's incredibly annoying when you have been working a night shift, and someone is banging on the door just as you've dropped off to sleep!!

I can't comment on the food as we didn't eat in the Hotel, but the Bar prices are the standard HI Tariff. Staff seemed freindly enough. Would stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing really
In the smoke
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

Booked through British Airways. On direct tubeline from Heathrow.

Perfect location for what ever you need is in London.

The hotel is a standard Holiday Inn like any other, the room was a bit tired but clean, served it purpose well - it did what it said on the tin!!!

Breakfast a plus point as it never ends - buffet, always a seat when you need one. Very efficent staff at the hotel.

Will use again, if possible to get a bigger room.

• Liked — It's Location & ease to get to.
  • Disliked — Small basic room & bed.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

I have stayed at HI Bloomsbury on many occasions in the past for work, so had no problem choosing it for the night before our journey to Europe on Eurostar.
On arriving at the hotel I asked for, and got, an upgrade (don't ask, don't get). I was given a 'business class' room on the sixth floor which was quiet, clean and comfortable - when given the choice of sooo many pillows it would be remiss not to have a decent nights sleep.
We left before breakfast in the morning, refreshed and ready for our journey. Some reviews have complained about the £11.50 price tag for a breakfast of fruit, croissants, bacon, eggs, coffee.... need I go on? This is what it costs for up to 2 adults, not each!!! I paid nearly £10 for a couple of coffees and a baguette at a cafe in St Pancras - now thats what I call expensive.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — Wasn't able to stay longer
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

My wife and I booked 9 nights in the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury for the start of a European Tour. (We're Canadians.) The amazing rate we got ($150CDN, approx 75 GBP) on Hotwire didn't include breakfast, but we found we were more than happy to buy croissants/muffins and fruit at one of two supermarkets within a half block walk and eat that for breakfast.

The hotel staff were very gracious, and were always willing to help. One front desk employee gave us directions to restaurants, an internet cafe, without suggesting we use the overpriced internet in the hotel lobbey. Some of the front desk staff had Eastern European Accents, but they were very understandable.

The location of the hotel was excellent, being so close to the Russell Square station. We'd never been to Europe, but found it very easy to take the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to the hotel. The oyster cards are great, but make sure to compare the cost of the day or week travelcard, it would have saved us some money.

Because we were staying over a week, the hotel upgraded us to a larger room with a couch, which was nice considering we booked hotwire. I would describe that room as being of average size for a one bed room in North America, so I imagine the regular rooms are tight by North American standards, but probably quite comfortable nonetheless.

My only two complaints were that the elevator service seemed a bit spotty, and the fire-alarm went off at ~5AM one morning. That's not the hotel's fault, but it would have been nice if they'd acknowledged it/apologized for the inconvenience.

I have recommended this hotel to friends, and continue to do so. Also, there's a great Indian restaurant right adjacent to Russell square, with white table cloth service at a lower price than in other parts of the west end.

• Liked — Great location, friendly staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury? Share your experiences!