“Efficient and helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure London Bridge

You added Mercure London Bridge to your Saves list
Mercure London Bridge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 - 79 Southwark Street, London SE1 0JA, England (Formerly Mercure London City Bankside) (London Bridge)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 40% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #404 of 1,066 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Efficient and helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed in Mercure London Bridge. I was surprised by all friendly the staff were. It has free wi-fi. They don't have a reception desk, but the front desk staff used (computer) tablets to help us check-in - very high tech! It's not overpriced for a central London hotel. Even though it's on a busy road, they have installed thick glasses to block out the noise.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Greeted by receptionist with an Ipad. High tech, but didn't speed up the booking in process and a number of individuals within my party had to wait 30 mins as they couldn't find their bookings (even though all made together). Not a great start but hotel fairly good with decent enough rooms which were also clean.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We always like Mercure hotels a lot. This time we went to London and booked Mercure Hotel London Bridge. The hotel looks it was recently refurbished or redesigned. The reception area and the lobby are very modern. The reception is unconventional, but very friendly, helpful and very efficient. Free WiFi in the entire hotel which was appreciated, but actually this should be a standard. Very reasonable room rates.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

This week I organised a meeting for 30 persons at the hotel.
I was delighted with the outcome and all delegates had high praise for the hotel team that looked after us so well. All aspects of the meeting were dealt with smoothly and quickly and we had absolutely no hiccups during the day and preceding overnight stay.

The hotel is very comfortable and provides a great venue for a meeting because it is in a good location within London and has some excellent meetings rooms and locations for breakout sessions. The food and the catering arrangements were also spot on.

As ever, what really makes a first rate hotel is the staff and they were all fantastic. In short, the staff were (1) friendly, knowledgeable and professional (2) well trained and organised and (3) well led by the senior management team who clearly are spending time thinking about the detail of the hotel and really wanting to deliver something special to their customers.

I am not given to providing assessments of hotels, but such was the high quality of service at the Mercure London Bridge that it would be remiss and unfair of me not to make the effort. I have visited very many hotels worldwide for meetings and conferences, and the Mercure is up there with the best of my experiences because they cared!.

Well done Florain and your team.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

On first appearance this hotel is very nice. It is very modern, very clean and the staff are very smiley.

However once you deviate from the standard hello there is little customer service.

I stayed 4 nights on business. My room was very modern, not very big but had everything you want. The bathroom was tiny and had a very modern sink which did not have a plug and when you turned on the designer taps the water splashed straight out the sink and all over me and the floor. There was no bathtub just a big shower. There was no way of having a shower without the water bouncing off the bottom of the shower tray and onto the floor. If you had the shower mat on the floor you couldn't open the door and there is no room for a wash bag near the the sink.

The heat in the room was extreme. There was an air conditioning unit and you could change the temperature up or down but it didn't actually work. It seemed to stick at 22 C or above. In the night it went up to 24.5 C so it was way too hot to sleep.

I reported that my room was too hot to the busy receptionist who said he'd look into it. But as I was out all day I emailed to confirm my request. I did not get any reply to my email. When I returned to the hotel the room was baking. I telephoned reception and was told that the hotels heating system was switched on to heat and therefore could not blow cold air so I would have to open the window for 20 minutes and then close it. The hotel is on a main road so it's too noisy but I did do this. Unfortunately as soon as I did the temperature went up even higher to 24.5 C. I telephoned reception again after 20 minutes but did not get an answer. I had to go down to the Reception area. I was then given another room. The second room was slightly larger and was cooler although during the night it still got too hot to sleep. It also had the same issue with the sink and shower tray.

I was not offered any help to move room, I was not asked if I was happier in the room, I was just told to return the old room key to the reception when I'd moved. This took place at 8.30pm so not in the middle of the night.

At breakfast I was asked twice if I wanted toast but it never arrived. Also there are stairs in the restaurant - something not mentioned on their website. The fruit juice and butter and cereal is all up the stairs and the hot buffet down stairs so you have to walk up or down the stairs carrying your plate and glass. You have to figure that out for yourself as noone explains this to you.

On the 2nd day in my new room the toiletries were not replaced so I had no shampoo and just a tiny bit of shower gel left over from the previous day. I was so sick of speaking to reception I didn't bother calling down and asking for more.

On the plus side I did have room service twice and that was very good - they telephone to tell you they are on the way up which is a nice touch and the food was nice.

On checking out I was not asked if I was happy with my stay. Infact at no point are you asked if you are happy with the food, with the service, with the hotel.

You get the smiles and friendly greeting but unfortunately that's where it stops they are not interested in you as a guest and your answer is irrelevant.

I would only stay here if you don't need to sleep, have lots of patience to wait to be served, are going to take your own toiletries and are able to negotiate stairs.

A very disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a cooler room
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Having just returned from a weekend in London staying in the Mercure London Bridge, I had to come on and write a review to let everyone know how good this place is.

We arrived really early in the morning but the staff told us our room was available and so we were able to drop our bags off straight away in our room before heading out for the day. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The location is perfect it is only a few stops on the tube to all the main tourist attractions. We used Southwark tube station as it was only a few minutes walk from the hotel. There is also the Tate Modern Art Gallery within walking distance from the hotel.

The rooms are fab, we stayed in a super deluxe king size room which had slippers, toiletries, safe, hairdryer, iron and ironing board. The bed was huge and so comfy.

The breakfast was great. There is a buffet style breakfast where you help yourself and you can also order hot toast, eggs benedict and several other choices from the kitchen.

I had a fantastic stay in this hotel and wouldn't hesitate in staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013
Reading, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Spent a Sunday night here in November. The hotel was a strange adventure. The foyer is beautiful and very welcoming. However, there is no reception desk, a staff member signs you in using a tablet pc. It gives it a very informal air.
The room was small, just enough room for a double bed. But there was plenty of storage space in the small entrance corridor. The bathroom again was small but hey, how long do you spend in there? I was a bit miffed there were no toiletries offered by the hotel. I was delighted with the room, it was clean and well decorated. However, the strangest window/blind combination I have ever seen! it took me a while to work out how to close the blinds.
The bed was comfy and passed the Barganax test of a good nights sleep.
I did not use the restaurant but there are several very nice eateries just out of the door.
The receptionist told me there is a small car park and the overnight fee of £20 is not too unreasonable for that part of London, I suggest pre booking a place or arrive early?
A good location for exploring the South Bank and well placed for the tubes for further afield adventures. I a was happy to stay for a night. Perhaps the small room would be a bit much for a week plus stay?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mercure London Bridge? Share your experiences!