“worse hotel ever stayed!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Imperial Hotel

Save Saved
You added Imperial Hotel to your Saves list
Imperial Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Russell Square, London WC1 5BB, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #599 of 1,075 hotels in London
Nicosia, Cyprus
“worse hotel ever stayed!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. my friend booked a single room through an agent and then I decided to go with her to this trip as I also had a meeting so we told the agent to book a double room instead of the single. when we arrived at the hotel they gave as a single room. we went down to the reception and explained the situation and told them that we needed a double room and that we would pay the difference in the price at the same time. they told us that they didn't have any notice for the change from the agent and that they could not do anything about the room.

the girls at the reception were very rood, in fact it is the first time I had such a bud experience with any hotel staff. the one girls, at first told us that there were no double rooms left so she could not do anything and that if there were any she could give us one and pay the difference. then I asked her if they had a suit and she said that they had so I asked her to give it to us and pay the difference. she said that she could not do that and that suddenly the suit was taken!!!!!!!at that point another girl came and told her loud so we could hear her : '' are you still dealing with this?'' '' tell them to leave if they want'' and she turns to us:'' if you don't like what we offer you ,you can leave the hotel''. but of course they wouldn't return any of the money we had already paid. we asked to talk to the manager and both girls told us that no one one could do anything!!!! they gave us another single room and paid another 270 pounds for that.

rooms were too small. no walls between the rooms but only gypsum boards so you can hear everything that is going on in the next room like it is happening in your room.

breakfast very poor. complete chaos, no clean tables, average food. you better pay 10 pound for a decent breakfast somewhere else. we went the first morning and left immediately.

the only good thing is the location. tube station very closed.

overall, the worse hotel ever stayed. would never go back for any reason.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

1,065 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Westmeath
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent - well served by bus and nearby tube stations. It is also only 15 mins walk from covent garden. There are 3 bars and Barberells's is the pick of the 3. Its quite funky and has a certain charm to it. The atrium bar is a bit odd and not that comfortable.

The rooms are poor, so be warned, but London is such a great city, the less time spent in your room the better. The rooms are clean with comfortable beds, but small and old-fashioned. Dont let this put you off the hotel though - the breakfast is massive (but busy) and sitting beside strangers is not as odd as i thought it would be.

Sainsburys and Teaso are also nearby.

Dont be put off by some reviews - its not luxury, but its well priced and well located. As ever, keep expectations realistic and enjoy.

Room Tip: higher up rooms have less noise from the road
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I rarely write highly negative reviews, and I also realize that all things are relative, but this was perhaps the worst hotel experience I've had in fifty years of traveling - and it has some competition. I look for a hotel to be the place you come back to, rest, recharge and get on with your trip. The thoughts of walking back into this hotel were enough to keep me finding excuses not to. When you walk up to the main entrance of a hotel in London filled with dirty, Greek/Roman statues ... you probably know you're in trouble. This is not a small hotel, and I doubt I actually saw 5 other people (other than the one morning I tried to eat breakfast) during my four night stay. I have to assume everyone shunned the public areas as well as the hotel, like I did.

Imperial hotels have a number of properties on Russell Square; they call this their 'flagship' hotel and all I can think is that the fleet is about to sink. I have stayed a number of times at their Bedford property and found it quite enjoyable. I doubt anyone would rank Imperial Hotels high on the 'cheery' scale, but the Bedford always had people milling around the public areas, rather than the morgue like atmosphere or the Imperial.

It looks like after fifty years, they are renovating some of the rooms. I think I unfortunately got one of them, for the corridors and rooms (at least mine) reeked of oil based paint and shellac. In spite of the 40 degree weather, I had to sleep with the windows open as well as run to Tesco to buy a couple of air fresheners (which I don't believe really did anything other than make me think things were better). The size of the room is fairly common amongst Imperial Hotels - about the size of monastic cell. The furnishings were in good shape, and there was a good reading light over the bed. The bathroom was well maintained, although the shower could not maintain even close to a consistent temperature. I gave up on the last morning and showered at the airport.

The hotel does NOT have wireless in any area other than the lobby - and I find it interesting that even with that being the only location, no one chose to hang out there. If you have a laptop with ethernet, there is wired internet in the rooms, and it seemed reliable and reasonable speed for a free hotel service.

Breakfast is included in the rate, and it is as dismal as the rest of the hotel. There are no fresh fruits, no yogurts; the bacon and sausages are sautéed in grease, the eggs could be consumed through a straw, and the couple of rolls seem to consist more of sawdust than grains. Unless you are so strapped for cash that you have no alternative, find a coffee shop for breakfast. This food is almost uneatable.

A three night stay entitles you to a free dinner at one of many of the Imperial Hotel restaurants. After the one breakfast, the thought of eating anything from an Imperial restaurant seemed highly dubious, and I gladly tore up the chit.

London is one of my two favorite cities in the world, but after just one night in this morgue of a hotel I was counting the days to return home. This hotel simply reflects badly on everything that is usually so wonderful about the amazing city. Avoid this hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: As for a quiet room on the backside of the hotel. Even with the windows open at night to try and di...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

My second stay at The Imperial Hotel this year. I was surprised to read some of the other reviews as I was quite happy with the hotel both times I stayed. Booking any hotel under £100 in London is a bit of a lottery but I would definitely go back to The Imperial. I found the Reception staff helpful and the staff in the restaurant at breakfast time attentive - the restaurant wasn't overly busy at breakfast time either time I stayed.

My room was fine, lovely and warm, reasonable size for a single, comfy bed, shower was OK, basic toiletries provided. For the price I paid (£60 incl breakfast) I thought it was a bargain! The hotel is just around the corner from Russell Street tube (and Holborn tube is only a five minute walk away) so access to Central a London attractions is really easy. As a sole traveller I felt safe staying here and walking around the area.

The decor is a bit dated but re-decoration was underway when I stayed (29 Nov13) although is didn't directly affect my stay.

Room Tip: My room was on eighth floor overlooking courtyard and was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed here in late November 2013. The decor is looking tired and dated. The bedroom linen had a few holes in too. The concierge team were rude and unhelpful. However, this was not the case for the reception desk team. They were friendly and responsive. Breakfast was a shambles. Complete chaos with no clean tables and people pushing to get their cooked breakfast. Food was ok. Nothing special. I wouldn't stay here again when I visit London.

Stayed November 2013
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at the Imperial with a friend. It's a great base for seeing London, just round the corner from the tube station. The room was very clean and modern and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We booked a standard twin and got a large twin with a sofa. It was lovely and warm and the shower was great. The breakfast was basic english but was very satisfactory. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Both rooms we've had have been fine in different areas.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Poole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We booked a theatre break and chose this hotel for the location. I really hate to moan but we were so disappointed with the hotel. The receptionist whilst not rude, was unhelpful and appeared "bored" .
The room was on the top floor. The wallpaper was dirty and peeling off. The twin beds were old, squeaked with the smallest of movements, rolled around due to be on wheels, and were shabby and uncomfortable. The toilet was clean but curtains, bedspread and carpets were grubby, dated and in need of updating.
The breakfast staff were polite, they were obviously very busy but worked hard to seat the huge amount of guests. There were two queues for the guests but after queuing the breakfast trays were all empty so had to then join the second queue. The food was not good quality.
I really do not feel comfortable moaning about the hotel, but feel very disappointed. We saved for a long time, paid a lot of money, found childminders etc and were so looking forward to a night away in a lovely hotel and a show. Having said that the show was amazing as were the seats. It's such a shame the hotel was not up to scratch. It needs cleaning, re vamping and better quality food to compete with other London Hotels charging the same.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!