“Nice hotel but reception staff poor reception!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE 10% ON YOUR STAY
Ranked #229 of 1,066 Hotels in London
“Nice hotel but reception staff poor reception!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the hotel for two nights. We arrived at the hotel to be greeted by two unfriendly receptionist. The never smiled and made me and my friend uncomfortable.
Throughout the stay and even when we left, the reception staff were poor in customer service skills, when we said hello they would look at us, no smiles no nodding just stare which was really unnerving and very strange.
The breakfast staff and the cleaners were great. Breakfast was lovely and the rooms were clean and inviting.

The receptions at the front desk really need to take some customer care courses and maybe smile, its not that hard.
Its a real shame that the reception staff let this place down as it was a close contender for us to add this to the list of regular hotels to use for colleagues to stay for work purposes.

Management, you need to monitor this behaviour as you are loosing valuable customers.
You would have received "Excellent" if it wasn't for the reception staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
MMoffatt, General Manager at Hendon Hall, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent review. I was pleased to read that the majority of your stay we highly enjoyable and the staff, apart from Reception, were pleasant and helpful. Your comments with regards to the welcome and interaction with the Reception team are not what we strive for and I can assure you I have spoken to the whole team on reception with regards to first impression and customer care. I am sorry if this experience ruined your overall experience, but I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.
Matthew Moffatt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Sandy,Bedfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Having lived in and around London for the best part of my life, I had surprisingly never heard of this hotel before but my wife had heard it was good as she used to live around 3 miles away from it in Colindale. Me being paraplegic and a full-time wheelchair user, I usually have problems with access through doors but nothing seemed to be a problem here. It being a very old building, doorways are usually narrower than a standard modern building but everything seemed to be catered for here, and the staff were fantastic suit our needs. The guy on the reception insisted in pushing me (if you are a wheelchair user this is a pet hate of ours), but let him crack on through the thick carpets to the room. The disabled toilets were fantastic and not a long trek from the bar area as these are sometimes an afterthought in modern design. The only downside of the whole experience was the food was slightly cold when it arrived at the table, but it was a wedding and this was to be expected really. But overall this is an excellent hotel and I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your review, I was sorry to understand that you have not visited us before. I am delighted that we were able to make you feel welcome, I have taken your comment on board with regards to one of the team "pushing" you through, he genuinely meant no harm but he did reflect on your comments. It is pleasing to read that the facilities are suitable for you and I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
warrington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

i arrived at this hotel after 3 weeks of traveling and staying in hotels around the country,
after being greeted by the reception staff and presented with my welcome letter i was shown through the grand hotel to my room.

i sat myself in the bar/lounge and was looked after and attended to my the staff perfectly they brought me biscuits with my pot of tea which was a welcome surpirse as i love a biscuit with a good pot of english breakfast tea.

its the simple things in life that sometimes make you smile.

after setting me up in the corner where i could plug my laptop in and continue working i was ready for a beer, after some friendly chat with the girls Frankie and Everlina they looked after me throughout my time there Food and drink was great as well as the level of service.

Great little stay recommend it .....!!!!

would definetly stay again.

PS: Frankie is the best.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your recent review, which I have passed on to Frankie, Everlina and their line manager. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that we were able to provide you with great service. Nothing beats a cup of tea in the afternoon with a biscuit! I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future and thank you for your kind words.

Hatfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My daughter had her wedding at this hotel and it was the perfect location. It's a beautiful old building within lovely grounds; a calm and peaceful oasis in an otherwise busy area. Our one night stay was very nice. Our room was clean and very comfortable, we couldn't have asked for more; lovely breakfast too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MMoffatt, General Manager at Hendon Hall, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Please pass my congratulations on to your daughter I was so pleased that you all had a great time here at the hotel and the wedding celebrations were a great success. Thank you very much for your review. I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed at Hendon Hall for three weeks on a business trip, so I feel well qualified to comment. The staff is excellent, very helpful at all times. The front staff doubles as the concierge service, and although they are at times very busy, they did a great job.
The Hotel of course is a historic building, and I am sure it is challenging to maintain. The grounds are beautiful with a very nice garden and grounds in the back with tables so that you may sit outside. They have a Pub with excellent pub type food, and a fine dining type of restaurant. The chefs are first rate, the food worthy of a fine dining experience, although the menu is a bit limited. The breakfast was amazing, really great.

The only issues, not big ones really, are location and air conditioning. They are on a main bus route, or you can walk to the tube station but it is a bit of a walk. It seems that most people had their own auto. I am an older traveler, so these things count for me. I happened to be there during a heat wave, and no matter what they tell you, it does get hot there in the summer, and very humid. My wing did not have a functional air conditioner. I hope they get that resolved as my room was very, very warm. I had trouble sleeping.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your recent review of Hendon Hall Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay here at the hotel and found all the staff to be helpful. I was pleased to understand that you found the food both at breakfast and in the evening to be first class, a comment I have passed on to the Head Chef and his team.
The location of the hotel does mean it is a walk or a bus ride to the tube station.
Unfortunately with the very warm weather we did encounter some sever issues with our air-conditioning units. I am pleased to report that we will be replacing the whole of the fourth and first floor starting at the end of August. I am sorry that you found the hotel too warm at times. I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed four nights on business in Hendon. Upgraded to a suite Room 303 which although large and lovely and quiet was still a large room with sofa and chairs as opposed to my understanding of a suite being a separate living area. The room was clean, air conditioned, in good condition and lacked nothing for a peaceful rest after several long days of meetings. Luggage does need moving by hand as there are steps directly outside the room. Staff were all friendly and nothing was an issue. Breakfast was lovely and fast & friendly service, didn't eat in the dining room but the bar staff were very amiable and made you feel welcome.
Slight hitch was mobile signal useless and Wi-Fi was intermittent in the room, excellent in the public areas and air conditioning vibrates through the whole room, could be disturbing for some people although I treated it as 'white noise'. Little overpriced especially for late checkout.

Room Tip: Facing the garden is ideal.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your recent review of Hendon Hall Hotel. I was of course pleased to read that you found the hotel comfortable and the service that you encountered was friendly. The Wi-Fi signal should be consistent, I am very sorry that you had problems; we do pride ourselves on the quality of our internet access, a great feature to offer complimentary. I will personally monitor this.
I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have just enjoyed a fantastic 3 night stay at hendon hall hotel and would highly recommend this hotel to everyone! It is a lovely hotel with bright clean rooms, delicious food, fantastic grounds and of course a free car park. We were particularly impressed with the service from all staff, especially Joshua who was so polite and went out if his way to ensure that we had everything we needed for the babies. Thank you very much, we will definitely return!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review and I was so pleased to read that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay here at the hotel. I have also passed on your comments to Joshua, who was very pleased to see his name on your review; I think that demonstrates his great customer service.
I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Matthew Moffatt

Been to Hendon Hall? Share your experiences!