“A blast from the past” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hazlitt's

You added Hazlitt's to your Saves list
Hazlitt's
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Frith Street | Soho Square, London W1D 3JA, England (Soho)   |
Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #210 of 1,066 Hotels in London
United States
“A blast from the past”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Last year we stayed at their sister hotel The Rookery, and the Hazlitt's is a worthy sibling. Staying in the Sir James Bateman room was like stepping back in time. It had a wonderful double door entrance area with a closet and safe, the bathroom had a great step-up tub/shower, and the room itself was lush and comfortable. The hotel is rife with cozy sitting areas, and you could not ask for a better location, just around the corner from the theater district.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I found this hotel almost by accident, wanting to be near Piccadilly Circus. Good location, and not at all standard! Most beautifully decorated room in an old building, and the service was good. Unfortunately I only stayed for one night, but would like to go back. The value for money is really good!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I've stayed here twice now for work, and really enjoyed both stays. This place has a lot of quirks to it, from the crooked staircases and slanted floors to the random little entrance-ways inside the rooms.I stayed here because it's interesting, and historic, and not like every other cookie-cutter hotel. Plus you get the great location in Soho, and the warm reception from the staff.

Room Tip: Sir James Bateman was great for me. The rainfall shower head was a nice touch.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Wakefield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My telephone booking was made accurately and efficiently by a friendly staff member. The location of the hotel in Soho could not be more perfect if you are planning on an evening in the west end. It's about a 5-10 minute walk from Leicester Square and Tottenham Court Road tube stations. The frontage of the hotel looks modest, and to access you press a buzzer (the reception is staffed 24 hours). The reception staff were absolutely delightful, very helpful and friendly. We were able to leave our luggage before check in so that we could explore without our heavy bags. When we arrived back in the evening the bags were in the room waiting for us.

We stayed in the prussian resident room which is at the front of the hotel. It was large and exquisitely decorated. The furnishings and surroundings are beautiful in a tasteful traditional english style. My 4 year old daughter was enchanted by the room and in particular the four poster bed.

The street is home to some lively bars and while there was a little noise as the customers chatted on the street, it was actually quite pleasant to feel the atmosphere of the area.

Do bear in mind that this hotel does not have a lift, and also no restaurant. There is a massive variety of cafes and restaurants nearby though. We brought takeout to our room (great fun).

Won't be able to afford to visit this hotel again but it was a lovely experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Aldershot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband booked a two night stay at Hazlitt's to celebrate my 40th birthday. Positioned perfectly in Soho, it was ideal to go out for dinner and drinks. Our room, James Bateman, was on the first floor facing the street. Others have said not to stay on the front, but actually it wasn't that bad. The bar opposite wasn't that noisy at all, even for a weekend. The noise which I didn't appreciate was the empty bottles being collected at 6am on a Sunday morning! Overall, fantastic weekend, can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2012
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I know lodging in London is expensive and maybe there's nothing comparable in Soho, but I have never paid so much money in my life for a hotel. I was very disappointed. I arrived soaked from a driving rain about 1 PM. I was told I couldn't get into my room until 3 PM. I was put in a tiny parlor to wait. Like a fool I ordered a sandwich which arrived 45 minutes later. I had to pull an easy chair up to a coffee table to eat.
At exactly 3 PM I was ushered up to my room. A handsome four poster bed dominated the small room. There were two straight back chairs. The three lights in the room were too dim. I was told that the electrical system could not handle brighter bulbs. During the day I sat on a very narrow window "seat" to read and write by daylight. The bathroom was brighter. I actually moved a chair in there one night so I could see to read. The shower dribbled water and the toilet did not flush fully. Except for requiring me to wait two hour in soaked clothes, the staff was pleasant and helpful. The room was clean.
The hotel is 18th century. The rooms are not numbered but are named after "famous" people who stayed in them. The impression I got was that the place had been coasting on an old reputation for a long time. I suspect there are people with a lot of money who like this sort of stay in the past.
I wanted to be in Soho to be close to the theaters. It was nice to be able to walk home in the evening after a show.

Room Tip: Do not arrive before 3 PM. Do not order food. Bring a flashlight.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Spent our wedding night here in October after celebrating our wedding reception at the Union Club around the corner. Hazlitts was a lovely house of calm, full of character away from the hustle and bustle of Soho. Perfect end to our wedding day. The night porter was really friendly, congratulating us and giving us the whistle-stop version of the history of Mr William Hazlitt. Our room was comfortable with a lovely roll top bath in the bathroom. Room service was excellent - the celebrating (bucks fizz) or recuperating (bloody Mary) additions to the breakfast options are a nice touch. Would recommend this hotel to travellers and Londoners alike.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hazlitt's? Share your experiences!