“Good hotel, patchy 'extras'” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Chelsea Harbour Hotel

You added The Chelsea Harbour Hotel to your Saves list
The Chelsea Harbour Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Chelsea Harbour, London SW10 0XG, England (Formerly Wyndham Grand London Chelsea Harbour) (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #111 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, patchy 'extras'”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

We stayed here for two nights as a family of four. At the notice we had, staying in the suits here was significantly less expensive than two rooms at a different hotel.

The compromise was the location but actually it was absolutely fine - it depends where you want to go in London, but we found it an easy journey to most places. We had a day at the museums though - if you're headed for North London it might be trickier.

This is not a 'family friendly' hotel, which is actually a positive as far as we were concerned. It was extremely friendly towards our family, though. The swimming pool is absolutely not designed with children in mind - it's single-level, deep and just a pool (with two 'fountains' on the side). There are classy loungers on the side. It's not a play pool. However, it was empty every time we visited which was excellent for our kids, who obviously didn't care that the pool wasn't built with the in mind (and why should it have been), and just had a great time. There was no designated swimming hours for children which worked well for us but could be a negative for other pool users. However the pool was always bisected by lane dividers, so one half could easily be for 'serious' swimming.

The male changing rooms are tempoary and a bit of a trek from the pool. The female ones were excellent - steam room and sauna, waterfall showers, hairdryers, towels and everything else you'd expect.

The room was excellent. The sofa in the lounge folded down into a double bed for our kids - not terribly comfortable for an adult, but fine for our purposes. The hotel happily removed the shelf of chocolate from the mini-bar area.

Bathroom facilities excellent, there was a balcony (this was the cheapest, non-water-view suite), with a table and chairs. Main bed was huge and very comfortable.

In terms of quibbles, one major and two minor. Around 6am the fire alarm went off, waking at least everyone on our floor. We finally got through to reception to be told that a guest had been smoking in their room and set off the alarms, and to remain in our room.

Fine, these things happen - but the engineers were unable to turn off the alarm for almost half an hour, by which time the lobby and corridors were full of irate guests. It was impossible to get back to sleep after that disruption. No apology was offered by the staff.

Minor quibbles: we ordered from room service on the last night - the children's portions were huge and the food was great. However the adults' two-course dinner was delivered without covers, so our main course was unpleasantly cold by the time we'd finished our starters. There was also a complusory service charge and seperate delivery charge which together came to a quarter of the cost of the meal.

The other quibble refers to the staff in the spa - one of our posessions went missing from the changing room. The staff were initially very helpful in helping us look for it but, when it was finally located (it had clearly been moved by a member of staff or other guest), they implied we were lying about its original location - ridiculous as they had searched the changing room alongside us and it was clearly not then where it was eventually 'found'.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Wyndham_Grand_London, Manager at The Chelsea Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review, I was delighted to read that the suite you were allocated catered perfectly for you and your family. We pride our self in being able to accommodate our guest’s needs, therefore I was most happy to read of the friendly service you received during your stay. Rest assured I have discussed your comments with the Spa manager and the team to ensure this remains in isolation.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the unexpected fire alarm that you experienced during your stay. The hotel has recently become completely non smoking and unfortunately some guests did not realise. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back at the Wyndham Grand in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
Margate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We had tickets to see Boys II Men and I wanted to treat my wife to a great weekend in London. It has been refurbished since I last stayed and it looks even better. The service from the desk to the Resteraunt was excellent and the doorman is a great guy. The smallest and chepest suit is very big and could take a family of four. Breakfast is excellent with a very good variety on offer and sitting by the tranquil inside marina on the Thames is very relaxing while just having a drink. iIts a great place to stay if you are spending time in the West End but taxi's can now be expensive.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Wyndham_Grand_London, Manager at The Chelsea Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
What a fantastic review and for that I would like to thank you. We take pride in our professional yet friendly team therefore, I was most happy to hear of your kind comments regarding the service you received. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team as they continue to improve our personalised service. I hope you and your wife enjoyed your weekend in London and I look forward to welcoming you back at the Wyndham Grand in the not too distant future.
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

There can't be a hotel in London that represents better value than this place, true 5* luxury and no abuse of the word 'suite'.
These rooms are massive with every facility imaginable including air conditioning, PVRs and 2 flat screen TVs!

The new spa area has a wonderful pool and gym, ideal for working off the calories from the excellent Riverside Brasserie Grill.

A sumptuous breakfast is served with a vast choice of exquisite ingredients, the perfect end to a great stay!

Just one negative from the whole experience-please don't charge me for what has now become a standard rather than an optional extra-internet access!

Room Tip: Get a harbour view!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Wyndham_Grand_London, Manager at The Chelsea Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to rate us so highly and for writing such a lovely review. Rest assured I will discuss your comments regarding the internet pricing structure with the management team. We pride our self in being the only 5* all-suite hotel in London, providing our guests with a sense of space that is virtually unparalleled by other properties in the centre of the City. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back at The Wyndham Grand London Chelsea Harbour.
Central New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

This has become one of my favorite hotels that I've stayed at so far. From the exterior, the hotel does not appear particularly impressive, but the interior is excellent. The rooms are larger than average for the European hotels I've stayed at, with a full bath with a tub, shower, bidet and an additional separate half bath. The room would be comfortable for a party of four although the couch in the "living" room was not a pullout. Facilities include a modern, well kept gym that appeared to have very low usage and new equipment, a beautiful indoor heated pool, and a spa area. The hotel looks out on Chelsea Harbor, which is a small marina for high end boats and yachts. There is free wifi in the lobby but not in the room, a minor inconvenience for us as we were not on business. I loved the fact that the hotel was in Chelsea a short walk to King's Road which had some great restaurants and shopping but was more a high end residential neighborhood and less of the tourist crowd, hence it was less crowded and noisy than central London. We were also right along the Thames, which while not the equivalent of being in Paris along the Seine was nevertheless a pleasant venue. Access to central London was easy via either bus or Underground, there was an Underground station a block away from the hotel. My wife and I would stay here again if it's available the next time I visit London!

Room Tip: We had a partial view of Chelsea Harbor on a low floor. You'll pay a premium for a higher room...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing such an excellent review; it is always a delight to receive lovely comments from our guests. I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Wyndham Grand, within the hotel we have suites with a pull out sofa which perfect for families and are available upon request. I was most happy to read that we are one of your favourite hotels and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome back in not too distant future.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed in the Wyndham Hotel on a recent trip to London. I was over to visit my newborn niece. After a day of listening to a child screaming it was wonderful to come back to the bar overlooking Chelsea Harbor for a drink. The hotel itself was very clean and the staff were very helpful with any queries i may have had.

I do not usually stay in such luxurious hotels, but the price was just 15pounds more than the 3 star hotel around the corner so i decided to treat myself. And it was very much worth it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
mclean, virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

beautiful all suite hotels. Excellent location in Chelsea. Most professional and friendly staff. The best food in their restaurant and lounge with the beautiful view of the harbour.
Highly recommend this fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: If you travel as a family, the single beds are too small to fit two people. You need rooms with a ki...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Wyndham_Grand_London, Manager at The Chelsea Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to writing such a positive review; it is always a delight to receive such lovely comments. I was thrilled to read that you had a pleasant stay here at the Wyndham Grand and would recommend the hotel to other tripadvisor users. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Island of Malta, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

This hotel exceeded all expectations I had prior to my visit. I booked this hotel through booking.com and the price payable on this hotel was even cheaper than 4-star hotels in the Big Smoke.

The hotel is all-suite, meaning that rooms are at least 40 square metres each. That's a massive bedroom, and equally sized 'sitting room', bathroom with shower & bath and a spare bedroom - we also had a balcony.

A number of reviews here wrote that the location was lousy. I disagree. Imperial Wharf overland is not more than a 4-minute walk from the hotel - walk out of the station, turn left up the road and into the second garage exit, go up one flight of stairs (through a door which say "to wyndham hotel", and you're bang in front of the hotel. You're also just off King's Road and a short bus ride to Clapham Junction (which can also be reached via Imperial Wharf overland.

Staff was very courteous.

At an average £170/nt paid, to me, this was definitely the best hotel I've stayed in, in London, possibly in Europe.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Wyndham_Grand_London, Manager at The Chelsea Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you for writing such a positive review, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay here and that your expectations were exceeded. Being the only 5* all-suite hotel in London we provide our guests with a sense of space that is virtually unparalleled by other properties in the centre of the City. With the Imperial Wharf station so close by, and other transport links widely available, we are happy to offer our guests the best of both worlds so it is extremely rewarding to receive feedback such as yours. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Wyndham Grand London in the near future.

Been to The Chelsea Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!