“Wonderful weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Marylebone Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Marylebone Hotel to your Saves list
The Marylebone Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   47 Welbeck Street, London W1G 8DN, England (Marylebone)   |
Ranked #49 of 1,075 hotels in London
“Wonderful weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I spent the weekend in London and stayed at the Marylebone hotel. We'd a super time. I'd mentioned in my reservation that it was our wedding anniversary and we were upgraded to a deluxe room and were surprised on the Friday evening with a lovely bottle of prosecco in our room along with a hand writen congratulations card from the team. We really appreciated this and it made our weekend all the more special.
Our room was lovely, nice size, spotlessly clean and on the 5th floor so we'd a bit of a view. The aircon was very good and badly needed. The room was very quiet and had every required convienience including a proper Philips hairdryer, fluffy robes and slippers and nice bathroom treats. We also had chocolates left at night for us!
The only two down sides of the room was the bed - two twins pushed together with no thick matress cover to hide the gap, just a sheet and the other being that the bathroom was tiny - could only fit one person at a time. The bed was comfy once you didn't lie on the gap. A cover would make such a difference.
Breakfast was continental and really good. Huge selection of yummy things.
The staff were all so friendly and helpful. Alixandre at the front desk was a huge help with recommending and booking excellent restaurants for us.
The location was 5 minutes walk from Oxford Street (10 mins to Selfridges). It's located in a really nice area without any major street noise.
I'd definately come back again!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are very small, would only suit one person - try to request one up from this.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest

I am thrilled you had a “wonderful weekend” with us, thank you for telling others about your experience!

It is always a pleasure to be part of our guests’ celebrations and our team really enjoys making these moments as memorable as possible for all our guests. I am delighted you enjoyed our service, the tiny noticeable touches (ever so important as we believe it’s the little things that really make a difference) and of course your bedroom and in room amenities. I totally understand your point regarding the King/Twin bed configuration; we have a few of these to give us the option to use for Twin or King use and having a mattress cover would make perfect sense. We are always learning from our customers and believe it’s the very best way of continually meeting and exceeding your expectations. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

To hear you plan on returning is absolute music to my ears, if I can ever assist prior to your next stay, or whilst with us, please do not hesitate to contact me personally on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com.

I hope to welcome you back very soon!

1,574 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Arabic first
Oakdale, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed in the Marylebone in London this summer because we had had a wonderful experience in its sister hotel (the Westbury) in Dublin two summers ago. We were not disappointed. Everything was superb, from the location to the view from our window (think Mary Poppins flying with her parasol over the roofs and chimneys of London). Breakfasts were outstanding. The thermos of hot milk at night with chocolate was over-the-top. The location was perfect. Our family was able to walk to Trafalger Square, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace; ie, most of the must-see tourist spots, yet we were in a charming, quiet neighborhood. The staff were gracious; they truly made us feel as if they were our hosts, helping us with our every need, making sure we had a large enough van for a family of five ordered at the right time to get to the airport.The Marylebone will always be our hotel in London.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about us, I am delighted you and your family enjoyed the experience!

Marylebone Village is one of the very best spots in London; it has an incredibly true “English Village” feel to it, with beautiful architecture, quant little shops and eateries and as you mentioned we are a very short walk to some of London’s finest attractions. Our team simply loves what they do and the welcome and care you received is very much a reflection of their genuine passion for looking after others. We see our Hotel as our House and our guests as well, our guests at home!

I am thrilled that we are now your hotel of choice when in London – please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can ever assist on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com prior to your next stay or whilst with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best wishes

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Me and my partner came here for my Birthday, when we got to the hotel at 11am we were greeted by Alexa who was very friendly and pleasantly suprised us by upgrading our room because it was my birthday. Our room was lovely situated on the 1st floor; was nice and cool with the air con. Very clean and well presented.
Whilst we were in our room we heard a knock on the door and a lovely lady was stood there with conplimentary champagne on ice with cakes with happy birthday wrote in chocolate. I was so impressed with how personal they were with us and making our stay extra special for my birthday. We had breakfast included in our package in which we were glad we didn't pay fpr separately as we felt it was overpriced for what it was however service was very good.
We would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again ourselves.

• Stayed July 2013
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest

A belated Happy Birthday! Thank you for choosing us to celebrate your very special day, I am delighted you had a great time with us.

It is a pleasure to read that Alexa looked after you; we will always do whatever we can to make our guests’ stays and particularly their celebrations truly special and memorable. Our team loves being part of these experiences and your wonderful comments are a brilliant reflection of their passion, enthusiasm and above all genuine care towards our guests. I know not only Alexa but our entire team will be thrilled when I share your kind comments.

I note your comments regarding our breakfast offering and would be very interested to know a little more, your feedback is so important and an incredibly valuable tool in our quest to continually improve what we offer. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your thoughts in more detail so please be so kind as to contact me personally on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com.

Thank you for recommending us to others, I am very grateful for your support and delighted you plan on returning to the Marylebone. We all look forward to welcoming you back!

london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

After reading Trip Advisor reviews of this hotel, I decided to call to ask to speak with Frits, the manager, as we were celebrating a big wedding anniversary. He was away for a fortnight so we were told instead to ring back on Monday to speak with someone else. That person was also not available by phone but by email promised we would be looked after. Arrived at 2 pm for check in and it was smooth. Told our upgraded room was ready but had to pay £5 extra to upgrade from a continental to full English breakfast. Newspaper would be charged unless we joined the Doyle Collection. No application needed, just an email so duly supplied one. Then read with Doyle Hotel Membership an upgrade lottery is offered to all members.

Our room was on the 7th floor. The air con filter needed cleaning as the room was hot despite leaving the air con on full blast for 2 hours. There was a krups nespresso coffee machine with no instructions on how to use and no, the water reservoir was NOT at the back of the machine as one might expect. Had to call for the housekeeping supervisor to show me where the reservoir was. The room came with safe, hairdryer, shower cap, cotton wool, toiletries and a selection of teabags and coffee with cups and spoons in the drawer in the built in wardrobe. Nice touch to see an ironing board, iron and umbrella also. There was a kettle for instant coffee too.

Had a coffee but with whole fat milk as there were no coffee creamers or half and half. Nice to have a complimentary shortbread biscuit. The mini bar fridge was full and sensored, but a small bottle of water was priced at £3.50.

Decided to explore the spa. Was told I could wander the hotel to the spa in my bathrobe and slippers. So donned in a robe and slippers found that I had to take the lift to the 5th floor, then walk all the way to the rear of the hotel for the special lift to the spa. Once inside this special lift, the doors closed and the lift would not move. The lift got very hot without air conditioning and it demanded a room key to operate. I put one room key in and it flashed red! I started to hyperventilate as images of being trapped in a hot lift with no air came rushing into my head. Luckily I had both card keys with me and the second card worked. Light turned green and it moved.

Down I went to the basement. Stepped outside and announced at the spa, this was my first time at this hotel. Got greeted with 'do you want to book a spa treatment? The steam room and sauna are on the gym level, not here.' So back I went inside the dodgy lift and pressed for gym. Stepped outside to a maze. There were no signs to the pool or sauna. Looking around I seemed to be the only one wearing a robe as I was now near the street entrance to this spa! I found the gym reception desk and was told the sauna was in the ladies changing room and a kind gentleman pointed me in the right direction. Once inside the changing room, I still was lost as to where the sauna room was, again no sign. Luckily a lady inside pointed me to the right door. I opened the sauna room door and gasped. It was so small, fit for one person to sit in this cubicle. 5 minutes later I thought I would try out the steam room which was by the basement pool. I opened the steam room and the extreme heat blasted at me. There was no way a human would survive inside! I quickly closed this door and trekked all the way back to my room, advised to take the service lift which was marginally quicker.

Once inside, I turned the tap on to for a bath. To my chagrin, I discovered that the temperature knob was jammed upside down! Only cold water! So I rang reception and was told it worked by a control on the left? She would send the housekeeping supervisor to show me. I went back. Nope, no control on the left. The supervisor confirmed the nozzle was indeed jammed and called for maintenance. Here I sat in a hot room with the air con noise on full pelt waiting impatiently to take a bath. The maintenance man came and fixed the nozzle but now noted the drain was blocked and he didn't have the right equipment so would have to return.

I was only staying one night to celebrate, so rang through asking for a room change. Reception was good and changed me to a room next door. To my delight, the air conditioning unit was working in this room so I did not have to deal with the 30C temperature inside and outside.

The rest of the stay was uneventful. My partner commented how reasonable afternoon tea was priced at £9 until I pointed out that was for scones alone and with tea and sandwiches cost £25+ service charge + £4 tray charge. Dinner prices were also high with a burger priced at £14. So we ate outside.

When we returned to the room, housekeeping were refreshing the room and left 2 small chocolates by the bed and 2 bottles of water. It would have been nice to see a sign near the bottles to say they were complimentary as we pondered whether this would be billed at £3.50 each if we dared sip. We couldn't decide so rang reception to confirm yes they were complimentary.

Morning breakfast arrived on time. The prices were £16 for continental and £21 for full. We had offered to pay the extra £5 for full as our room price was B&B with continental. However when the trays arrived, the toast was burned, mushroom was one single mushroom, one wee potato coin, 2 poached eggs, one sausage and one tomato. Thank goodness I am on a diet. The continental came with juice ( very palatable orange juice), tea or coffee with hot or cold milk, cereal, and fresh watermelon. The waiter insisted we sign the bill for £42 even though we were on a B&B rate.

My partner's comment on the size of the bath tub was that it would not fit anyone over 5'3". Lucky me! And did management give us any champagne? Nope, not even a card to say Happy Anniversary.

Check out was quick although we left quite early. The bill was correct. Nice to be offered a bottle of water to take with on a hot day.

All in all a nice boutique hotel but only for pool and gym extras. Meals were too expensive, sauna too small and steam room way too hot to be safe! Would appreciate more signage! Next time, will try the Holiday Inn next door.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest

I am so disappointed to read your post, please allow me start by saying how incredibly sorry I am that we failed to meet, let alone exceed your expectations. Despite feeling dismal that we did not manage to deliver the service we are all so passionate about here, I do appreciate your feedback and see it as a valuable learning tool for me and our team. We can only improve if we listen to our customers, take their feedback seriously and actively put measures and processes in place to remove these inconsistencies in our service.

First of all I am sorry I was not here to take your call, I have been off property for a few weeks and would have enjoyed the opportunity to plan your stay with you. Our team is generally brilliant at planning and organizing special celebrations with our guests, as you can see from the many positive comments we receive on Trip Advisor and in your case we did indeed have all the information in place regarding your very special anniversary. Several little touches were planned by our team but unfortunately were not communicated effectively following your room move. This was a terrible, but genuinely unintentional oversight and I can assure you that our Front Desk Team feels absolutely devastated that this has happened. We are normally so good at making these memorable moments an incredible wow for our guests, which makes it so much harder to digest when we do make a mistake. The air conditioning system is usually reliable and effortless however with the recent heat wave in London some of our rooms were affected, simply due to the extraordinary high demand on the systems. I am sorry that this was the case, that you had to move and inadvertently that this marred your stay. The maintenance issues you reported in your room should have been picked up prior to your arrival and I will most certainly be addressing this with our Housekeeping Team.

In terms of The Third Space Health Club and Spa I will most certainly take your feedback on board, this is the very first time we have had any negative feedback regarding the facilities and or/layout and I promise to dissect and analyze each and every point you raised with the Third Space Management Team. We want to ensure everyone thoroughly enjoys using this facility and will always look at ways of improving the experience.

I noted that you were underwhelmed by our English Breakfast offering but for 21 pounds we not only offer the Full Hot A La Carte which includes our Full English, Eggs Benedict, a variety of Omelet’s and various other hot dishes including freshly poached fish but this also includes our full Continental Buffett which include amongst others; 4 varieties of cold cut meats, 3 varieties of smoked fish, a variety of freshly sliced and stewed fruits, muesli’s, porridges, smoothies, vegetarian goats cheese and other tarts as well as a very large cheese selection, different breads, pastries and muffins and a wide selection of fruit juices. We do however always look to enhance what we offer so I will take your feedback on board.

Whilst I understand your reluctance to return to the Marylebone it is my genuine wish that you will consider us again, your experience is not indicative of the very high standards we set for ourselves and I know we can exceed your expectations if you do decide to return.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Marylebone.

With renewed apologies

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I think that this is probably the 10th year we have stayed at the Marylebone hotel (formerly the Clifton Ford) and the hotel and its staff continue to deliver upon an awesome hotel experience. From being greeted by the doorman to the welcoming hot towel and water at the front desk, you know that you are in for a good experience. The staff are friendly and helpful and go out of their way to make your stay as effortless as possible. The rooms are spacious, tastefully decorated and comfortable. Given that Britain was going through a heatwave when we were there, the in room a/c was a necessity. Sitting about 3-4 blocks from Oxford Street, it is convenient to shopping, transport, the theatre district and museums. Overall, I will continue to recommend it to friends and colleagues as an awesome place to stay. We love it!

Room Tip: We have had rooms on different floors and they were all good.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I am incredibly appreciative of your continued support over the last 10 years and wish to personally thank you for your loyal custom. It is a pleasure to know you continue to enjoy your stay with us and I cannot thank you enough for your support and for recommending us to others.

We have always focused on creating long term, lasting relationships with our guests by delivering service experiences that revolve around warmth, genuine appreciation and total professionalism. Your feedback very much confirms that this is indeed what is important to our guests and serve as a wonderful motivator for me and our team. Thank you so much for posting your thoughts and letting others know about your experience at the Marylebone. Word of mouth remains the most powerful form of referral and especially from a regular, loyal customer such as yourself, it is simply the very best endorsement we could ever ask for. If I can ever be of any assistance, prior to your next stay or whilst with us, please do not hesitate to let me know.

It is a privilege and pleasure to have you as our guest and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Marylebone.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My wife and I spent six nights in a superior room at the Marylebone in late June 2013. Wow, this place was great. It had everything we wanted a brilliant location, quality fittings, spacious rooms, superb and interesting architecture, friendly and efficient service, a mix of restaurants and bar and good value. On arrival we had a lovely high tea and late that night a tasty Eyton Mess for late supper in one of the many rooms around the hotel for guests to use. Really wanted to check out the pool a gym - maybe next time.
The hotels location was very convenient, about 5 minutes from Oxford St and just a little further to the much better quality Regent street as well as Bond Street station. There are a huge number of interesting restaurants close by. We had a 22 year old daughter bunk in a trundle bed for a couple of nights while she was passing through town. The room was a bit tight with a third person (especially with a third big case) but plenty spacious when we got back to just two of us.
What I really loved about this hotel was that it was a high quality but not pretentious. You really feel like visiting a friends house where you can be yourself and enjoy! I can see this becoming our go to hotel for London.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing us and for talking the time to write about your experience. So happy to hear you thought we were “a great find”!

Marylebone Village is incredibly unique and arguably one of the very best places to stay in our wonderful City. The reason is simply due to the fact that the entire area has a genuine English Village feel, complete with independent little shops, café’s, restaurants and small bars yet it literally is 5 minutes’ walk from the buzz and excitement of Oxford and Bond Street – the very best of both worlds. I am very pleased you made particular mention to the friendliness and efficiency of our service and the genuine warmth you experienced throughout. As a team we want to create a genuine “home away from home” for all our guests where everyone not only feels pampered and special but probably even more importantly feels blissfully comfortable. I am over the moon that this was reflected during your stay.

Thank you again for making us your go to hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to what I hope is now your “home from home’ when in London.

Kind regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my mom during our visit to London first week of July. The location is excellent - just next to the Oxford street, next to the Bond Station. Around the corner there is a small grocery store (Essex) and all the popular coffee chains. The staff is great - so patient, friendly and happy to service you - makes you feel very welcomes. Especially noted was the excellent, professional and friendly attitude we received from the head concierge, Rahim, who was willing to provide us with detailed tourist information, recommendations and excellent tips. The gym is absolutely amazing!!! I did not expect to have such a great gym. It had excellent amenities and you can sign up for classes as well. The only comment I had was that we had to ask several times for shampoo and soap to be refilled when they were emptied and the room temperature was a bit tough to adjust, however these were all corrected when noted. We ordered a car ride to the airport on our last day and for some reason in the last minute discovered that there was no note of our reservation that we made with the front desk the night before... however the staff immediately corrected this too (they negotiated an appropriate rate with a cab and paid the difference so we arrived on time and paid the rate of the car service). So all in all excellent service, friendly environment and really great hotel. I highly recommend this for anyone coming for a visit to London!

Room Tip: Double check with the front desk that any requests/ special orders you made are noted and booked. I...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience, I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us!

I am so happy to read that our team made you feel welcome and comfortable and that you thought everyone was friendly, helpful and above all happy to be of service. We have an incredibly passionate team of people who not only really care but also love being part of our guests’ experiences and it is very satisfying, not to mention motivating, when this is reflected in our guests’ comments. Rahim is a fantastic young man, superbly knowledgeable but even more importantly great with people; he will be over the moon when I share your very kind words so thank you!

The Third Space Spa and Health Club is indeed an amazing facility, stretching over 2 floors with saunas, work out studios, the latest in fitness technology and of course an 18 meter swimming pool it really has it all! So pleased you managed to enjoy the facilities on offer. Really sorry you had to ask for replenishment of in room amenities, this should be totally automatic and I appreciate you mentioning it to me, we can only improve if we listen and learn from our guests’ experiences.

It was a real pleasure to have you with us and I hope we will be seeing you soon. Please ask for me when you next arrive, it would be great if I could personally welcome you back to the Marylebone.

Warm regards

Frits Potgieter, Hotel Manager

Been to The Marylebone Hotel? Share your experiences!