“Fantastic hotel, the restaurant is lacking” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Marylebone Hotel

You added The Marylebone Hotel to your Saves list
The Marylebone Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   47 Welbeck Street, London W1G 8DN, England (Marylebone)   |
Special Rate
Limited Edition
Ranked #72 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Fantastic hotel, the restaurant is lacking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for five days on business. I went with the higher room size and when I arrived they offered me a 'disabled equipped' room as it was even more spacious. I went with that and had an almost studio sized room right in central London.

The rooms are great, all the staff from the doorman to reception to housekeeping were friendly and competent.

The hotel has a full commercial gym and pool in the basement which guests have free access to.

The only downside was the restaurant. One morning "the chef didn't see" my order which meant I waited over half an hour for breakfast. This is not good when you're headed to an important business meeting. I only ate in the restaurant one evening and it was a disaster. It took ages to get a table, even though the restaurant was not full, we had to repeatedly walk from our table to get the attention of our servers. Plus the food was poor. Strangely room service, which comes out of the same kitchen was always good and on time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and that you thought the hotel was fantastic from a rooms, location and service perspective. It’s so crucial that our guests experience a genuine sense of welcome and friendly attentive service from the moment they arrive to the moment they depart, and it seems we managed to tick these boxes during your stay.

On the flip side I am disappointed to note the problems you encountered at breakfast time and during evening service. We normally get great comments from our guests about the service and quality of both our breakfast and evening service and I am genuinely sorry that in your case we failed to deliver on our usual high standards. Please accept my unreserved apology and firm assurance that as a team we will dissect your comments and address the issues you mentioned as a matter of urgency. It is imperative that we are consistent in our offering and whilst unfortunate, your feedback is crucial and invaluable for us to learn from and improve.

I hope your overall experience will ensure you return to us and I would welcome the opportunity to meet you in person on your next visit. Perhaps we can arrange to touch base either before or whilst you are with us, I am confidant we can deliver on all fronts and hope you will give us the opportunity to do so.

Best regards

Frits Potgieter, Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

A lovely stay in a great location. The staff could not be more helpful. We were assured, when booking, that we would be allocated a room suitable for a wheelchair user and were not disappointed. We felt that this was a first class experience without being intimidating. We will certainly return and next time try the spa. It was not cheap but not bad for the location.

Room Tip: Good space in the room for wheelchair users.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

I am so pleased to read your recent review, “a first class experience without being intimidating” is very much what we aim to achieve as a team for all our guests.

Marylebone Village is slightly more expensive but it does compensate in spades with a true Village atmosphere, an array of wonderfully quant little shops, restaurants and pubs and the close proximity to Oxford and Bond Street (only 5 minutes walk!) is a real bonus for shoppers and sightseers alike.

I am thrilled that you plan on returning and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back.

Warm regards

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I went on a business trip to London for 3 nights, and had work events in (expensive) Mayfair but wanted to stay in the lovely neighboring neighborhood of Marylebone (where I used to live).

The Marylebone Hotel was a great find, recommended by a friend who lives nearby and uses the terrific gym. Every member of staff I encountered (Gunther, Richard, Alexa) was charming and professional; the room was small but perfectly formed; and with free wifi and coffee & croissants in the lobby in the morning, the Marylebone Hotel had everything I needed. I will definitely be back!

Dear Guest

Thank you for your brilliant review, I am so pleased that we are now your top London spot and please pass on my personal thanks to your friend for recommending us!

It always boils down to the people and the genuineness of the service and I am proud and grateful to read that our team, particularly Gunther, Richard and Alexa, displayed the professionalism and warmth of service we are so proud to be associated with. I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments to the entire team who I know will be thrilled, thank you.

The little touches such as the free Wi-Fi and complimentary coffee and croissants in the morning are small gestures of our appreciation to all our guests for choosing us and we will continue to explore ways of adding value at every opportunity.

It was a pleasure to have you with us, thank you again for choosing the Marylebone and we all look forward to welcoming you back!

Kind regards

Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at the marylebone hotel on a friday for my birthday. When we arrived we were greeted by a concierge who welcomed us, took our bags and gave us a hot towel. When checking in we were surprised to see that we had been upgraded to a suite room as it was my birthday. The head concierge Raheem? was amazing at his job. he took us to our room, explained that we had been giving champagne and cake for my birthday :), explained the use of the facilities and explained the local area to us. The room was great, lovely and spacious. gorgeous furnishings and had the most comfortable bed ever! We also had a big bathroom with a bath. We couldnt fault the room EXCEPT from the time we checked in until the time we checked out we heard a door sliding open continuously throughout the day and night. We later found out that our room backed on to the cleaners cupboard, which was unfortunate as we lost sleep throughout the night. When we returned from a meal out we decided to sit in the drawing and get a drink, i told one of the members of staff that we were waiting in the room for some drinks and he explained that some one will be with us shortly. After waiting patiently for half an hour no one came so we made our way back to the hotel room. Other than these two faults our stay would of been perfect. And i hope to stay at marylebone hotel again very soon :)

Room Tip: Do not have room 357 if you want a peaceful night!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel has consistently outperformed any other hotel that I have ever stayed in. From the warm, friedly, efficient service when you checking in to the professional way that all of your requests are dealt with. Nothing is too big or small a task. I have stayed in this hotel many times and each time that I arrive it feels like I am coming home.

Usually I stay at this hotel for business but I have also brough my family to stay and they we equally enthralled by it. My 8 year old daughter insists that I bring chocolate muffins home from every trip!

Well done and thank you to all of the staff here for 'going that extra mile' .

I

Room Tip: Outside room but all rooms are lovely.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

excellent as always, well looked after by a very good team. From the concierge to reception staff, restaurant . alaways friendly and smiling and try and help as much as possible.the location is great, easy access to good shops.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Went for a quick business trip and they were fantastic. The staff is courteous and helpful all the time. The rooms are spacious, clean and cozy with all the amenities - good bath products, mini bar, complimentary coffee maker, etc. Outlets are beside the bed and accessible (so you don't have to move furniture and plug in your phone across the room!)
The Concierges were amazing - great with restaurant reccos and their associate Alix even helped me ship something by messenger out last minute. Very helpful.
My only complaint was the heater in my room clanked from time to time.. even in the early morning hours.
Restaurant and food are great too. Great quiet street, but still accessible to things. Really a gem of a place right in Central london....would definitely go back.

Dear Guest

Wow, “amazing” is certainly what we strive to be and I am just thrilled that you thought we were “fantastic”. Thank you for writing about us.

I am genuinely pleased that you thought our staff, and in particular our Concierge team and Alex of course, were courteous, helpful and again “amazing”. They all love interacting with our guests, are genuinely people’s people and this is very much reflected in their efforts to go the extra mile and simply be helpful across the board. Your comments will serve as a wonderful motivator when we share your feedback.

I take note of the noisy heater in your room and would be incredibly grateful if you would contact me on frits_potgieter@doylecollection.com to let me know which room you stayed in. If this was reported during your visit then I am confidant our team are on it but if you haven’t I would welcome the details so we can address the issue.

Thank you again for your feedback, which we take incredibly seriously and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best regards

Frits Potgieter, Deputy General Manager

Been to The Marylebone Hotel? Share your experiences!