“Brilliant hotel in a fab location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Marylebone Hotel

You added The Marylebone Hotel to your Saves list
The Marylebone Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   47 Welbeck Street, London W1G 8DN, England (Marylebone)   |
Ranked #64 of 1,066 Hotels in London
London, UK
“Brilliant hotel in a fab location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We just spent one night here this past weekend and it was a wonderful experience! I searched for a long time to find a good hotel in London that wasn't prohibitively expensive and I'm so pleased to have found one. The rooms were clean, quiet and very nicely decorated. The public areas all looked lovely and the barman made a mean mojito! The location is fab, only minutes from Oxford Street, Marylebone High Street and all the lovely shops, restaurants and bars. What really made our stay special though was the staff, they absolutely gave 5 star service. Everyone who worked here was friendly, courteous and professional. Anca on the front desk was particularly lovely, on hearing it was my husband's birthday, we were immediately upgraded, given complimentary cocktail tickets and wine was sent up to our room! A lovely hotel and we will definitely stay here again next time we're in London.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a” brilliant” review of your recent stay! I am absolutely thrilled to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, from the cleanliness and décor in your room to the ambiance and style of our Public Areas and most importantly the service you received from our team.

Ultimately, exceptional hospitality and special experiences will always boil down to the people you come into contact with and I am incredibly proud to be part of a team that genuinely cares and simply love looking after our guests. Your positive feedback serves as a wonderful motivator for us all and bolsters our ambition to exceed your expectations, every time you stay. The team will be over the moon when I share your very kind thoughts, thank you.

Most importantly we are delighted that you plan on returning and I look forward to personally welcoming you back to the Marylebone.

Frits Potgieter, Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Tiberias, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was my third time in London and the occasion has been my wife 60 birthday. I am a Travel agent for the past 14 years specialising in internatioonal leisure travelling. I choose the Marylebone part thanks to feedback from my clients,part due rewiew in trypadvaisor and part being the location close (but not on) to oxford street and the bond street tube as in this way we could avoid the perennial noises of oxford street that carry on at night as well. From the start I was very pleased with my choise as the staff was very fryendly and did their best to satisfay our needs and help us with suggestions in reffer to how better move around town.
I made a reservation to a superior room and got upgraded to a deluxe room and that was a fantastic accomodation for a weeek in London. The english brekfast that is served at the hotel with the basic continental brekfast is defenitly more than anybody can eat (I grow up in Italy and I know somthing about food and taste)and the variety ensure that nobody could leave the brekfas unsatisfied.I will defenetly reccomand this hotel to my clients as I did even before I personally was lucky to enjoy such hospitality.
By the way I personally for 5 years in my Kibbutz had implemented and directer a bed and brekfast resort and I can appriciate the effort needed to obtain such level of service.

My deepest gratitude for making our stay in London unforgettable.

Room Tip: When travelling overseas the number of nights you intend to spend in a hotel should dictate your cho...
Dear guest

It was such a pleasure reading your review, I am genuinely thrilled that your birthday celebration was a memorable and special experience and that we were able to play a small part in making your wife’s 60th such a success.

Your feedback is incredibly important to us and helps us gauge the level of our service standards, our ability to meet and exceed your expectations and it highlights areas we need to address to satisfy your future needs. It is therefore very motivating to hear from a travel professional such as yourself that we are on the right track and if we continue to show total commitment to our guests and their happiness we can cultivate long term relationships and ultimately be a “home away from home” for all our guests. Our team will be over the moon when I share your kind feedback, thank you for taking the time to put pen to paper and tell us how we are doing.

It is I who must express my gratitude to you for choosing us; I hope your positive experience will see you return again and again to the Marylebone and I would welcome the opportunity to meet you in person on your next trip to London.

Westchester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Marylebone Hotel. He had already been in London for work and I was meeting him for a long weekend, having never visited the city before. I had emailed Frits, the manager a few times before my stay, asking questions about room size and directions to reach the hotel. He was extremely helpful in answering all of my questions.

I arrived at the hotel early in the day, before the normal check-in time after an overnight flight. I had let the hotel know this in advance and they had said that they would put me in a room early if one was available. Well, they did even better than that. We were upgraded to a larger room on the top floor. The room was beautifully maintained, the bed was really comfortable and we had plenty of space to spread out.

While I was still downstairs, waiting for my room (maybe a 10 minute wait), the front desk staff set me up with a cold drink in the lounge and Frits came out from his office after he must have seen on the computer that I had just checked in, to meet me. I felt so welcome and happy to be there.

The little touches were wonderful. From a fruit plate sent up to water and chocolates with turn down service, everything was perfect.

The location of the hotel cannot be beat. A 5 minute walk to the Tube, easy access to all the major sights, whether on foot or public transportation, and a porter who went out of his way to find a taxi for us one night.

I look forward to visiting London again, and when I do, I will absolutely be staying at the Marylebone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear guest

It was such a pleasure to read your review, thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

I was delighted to meet you on arrival, after corresponding with our customers it is always brilliant to meet in person and put a face to a name! We aim to create a 360 degree service experience that start from the first moment you reach out to us, continues through your actual stay and culminates when we wish you a farewell and speedy return. It was a pleasure to have you with us and I am just thrilled you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. Both I and the team are over the moon that you plan on returning and that we are now your choice when in London.

As before I would be very happy to assist with your future reservations and any assistance you may need and look forward to welcoming you back to the Marylebone soon!

Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is the 5th time we have stayed at the Marylebone Hotel which is becoming like second home even for the few days we stay every year. We will be definitely staying there whenever we visit London every year. The hotel is located 5 minutes from Oxford street and from the minute you enter it you feel its coziness, nice smell, warm atmoshere and luxury. The porters, the reception staff, the breaksfast manageress, the housekeepin staff, the gym reception staff and the people serving breakfast are so polite and helpful.

I travel 2-3 times a month and stay at 4 and 5 stars hotels so i can compare. I have not found a better service in any of the otther hotels i stayed. This hotel is really a model when it comes to customer service and attention to customer needs. The people are so helpful always with a smile making you feel great. I would suggest that other hotels send their satff there to experience the customer service and be trained through such experience. I am sure this customer service starts from the very top (here i have to thank Mr Garreth Walsh) and has been instilled to all hierrachy of the hotel staff. This is how all business should function with regards to customer service.

Breakfast is excellent! Spoilt for choice! and the people serving you always with smile and asking you if you need anything else.

The swimming pool and spa are great and the gym huge with state-of-the-art machines.

The rooms are excellent with very confortable beds.

We stayed in room 642 from 24th January - 30th January 2013 (6 nights) and all people at reception, housekeeping, gym reception and breaksfast room were great to us during all days. They really deserve to be given credit by the management team because they do really make this hotel unique.

We highly recommend this hotel and look forward to our next visit to london and stay at the hotel

Philippos + Maria

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for writing such a glowing review about us. It was a wonderful pleasure to have you stay with us again and I am just thrilled that you had such a positive experience.

It is simply brilliant to know that you feel welcome and cared for as a returning guest, our sole aim is to create long term relationships with our customers by consistently delivering a personalised, bespoke style of service that is always professional, totally unpretentious and genuinely friendly from the moment you arrive to the moment we say farewell. Your continued support is incredibly valued and appreciated and I am immensely grateful for your loyal custom.

Garreth, our General Manager, very much believes in having our Management Team lead from the front, being on the floor with our guests and playing a first hand part in our guest experiences. Your review serves as a brilliant motivator for us all, thank you again for your kind and thoughtful feedback.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to your “home away from home”.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed for one night in December for Christmas shopping. Chose it for location, price and after comparing reviews. It exceeded my expectations. The staff are great, the public spaces are very comfortable and the bar is lively. The room was small but well designed with good quality modern fittings and furnishings. The only problem was the bathroom: the inward opening door passes through the entire standing space; I am small and still found the arrangement very awkward. If the bathroom had a sliding door there would be no issue.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest

Thank you for writing about your recent experience at the Marylebone.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that we exceeded your expectations, we genuinely want to offer a superlative guest experience that is friendly and warm, yet totally professional and discreet. Our team will be thrilled when I share your comments about them being “great”.

I do take note of your comment regarding the bathroom layout and size and I am very pleased to say that we are now at the back end of a bathroom renovation program that will not only address the issue you experienced with the door (interestingly, we are installing sliding doors in all these bathrooms) but also see over a 100 bathrooms fully redecorated. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your next stay with you so we can assure your room allocation is to your complete satisfaction.

We look forward to having you with us again.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at the Marylebone Hotel for 3 nights last week. Checking in, the people at the front desk were very warm and welcoming. The room was small but very comfortable and clean. The heating system did not work well, but they did attempt to repair it. The lobby has many seating areas which make it pleasant to just relax with a drink and a newspaper. A problem arose when I called the concierge for the phone number of American Airlines. After I called the number she gave me I was presented with a bill for 38 pounds for the call. I had never been forewarned that this wasn’t a toll free call. After much haggling, they reduced the charge to 19 pounds. The night assistant front desk manager took a particularly hard line and made little effort to be accommodating. If not for that, I would give this hotel a resounding 4 star rating. Special kudos to Gunther and Celia at the front desk. If I owned a hotel they would be my first hires.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you can't hear the weights from the gym early in the morning.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
frits_potgieter, Manager at The Marylebone Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for writing about your recent experience at the Marylebone.

Our aim is to offer perfect service experiences, every time, so whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and in particular the service of Gunther and Celia, I am disappointed that we fell just short of our expectations and for this I am genuinely sorry.

Telephone charges are becoming an increasingly sticky point with many companies now moving away from toll free lines and this unfortunately has a significant impact on costs. I can only imagine your annoyance at receiving the charge and will most certainly ensure we re educate our team to always confirm whether lines are toll free or not. I take your comments on board and promise to address this matter; we are not in the business of penny pinching, as reflected in our policy on various services such as local calls and high speed internet access which is entirely complimentary and want to ensure we offer brilliant value across the board for all our guests.

I do hope the matter with the telephone charge will not detract you from staying again and promise to do our very best to make your next stay absolutely perfect. I will be sharing you positive feedback with both Gunther and Ceilia, they are absolute stars and not for hire might I add!

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back soon.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel several times years ago when it was called Jury's Clifton Ford, and it was a total disaster. I put up with it because it's such a fantastic location.

But now it's under new ownership (Doyle Group), and it's great. The staff are energetic and helpful, the rooms are clean and very adequate, room service is efficient, the new restaurant's very good, and the location's perfect. Marylebone High Street, with every convenience, is one block away. It's about 4 blocks to Selfridges and Marks and Spencer Oxford Street. New Bond Street is a 5 minute walk. It's also close to Harley Street and anybody visiting the American Intercontinental University in Marylebone.

I'll continue to stay here when in London.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest

I am absolutely delighted that you were pleasantly surprised this time, having stayed with us before in the Jury’s Clifton Ford days.

The Hotel has indeed undergone a major transformation, not just in terms of an extensive renovation program that encompassed the total change of the public areas and all of the bedrooms but also we like to think in terms of the service standards we now deliver. We have a genuine desire to deliver exceptional service experiences for our guests and offering the very best in design, ambience and style when it comes to our bedrooms and public areas. Your positive response serves as a wonderful motivator for our team, thank you so much for taking the time to write about us.

I am thrilled that we are now your preferred hotel when in town and look forward to welcoming you back. If I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to ask for me personally.

Frits Potgieter, Deputy General Manager

Been to The Marylebone Hotel? Share your experiences!