“Reasonable price for London, but lacking a few simple things” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Shakespeare Hotel

You added Shakespeare Hotel to your Saves list
Shakespeare Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22-28 Norfolk Square, London W2 1RS, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #686 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“Reasonable price for London, but lacking a few simple things”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Room had towels but no face cloths. Could make coffee and tea in the room, but no decaf provided and only powdered milk which is awful in tea. Biscuits would have been nice. £10 deposit asked for remote control if you wanted the television. Was only offered continental breakfast and there was not much choice. The room was very small. WiFi was available, but priced by the hour - nowadays, all hotels should be providing free WiFi.

On the positive side, it was clean and in a quiet street with a pleasant park at the front, and very convenient for Paddington Station.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belgrade, Serbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice hotel at good place(bus line 159 and metro station two minutes walk). Hotel stuff are mostly non-english speakers so sometimes i can be hard to explain to them what do you need. Room was ok, clean and neat, but cold. Breakfast is excelent. So, if you want cheat but decent hotel for a short stay, i sincerely recommand this one. P.s. There is no free Wi-Fi and that's my biggest remark.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Debrecen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The rooms are small but enough for sleeping. The hotel was clean and it faced a nice park. It was close to many bus stops, underground station and restaurants as well. All the main and most famous places are easily reached from here, and you can also take long walks in the famous parks nearby.

Loughborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Outside - looks nice, 2 mins walk to Paddington underground so a good location

Inside - Not so nice

We booked a family room for 5, it was an average sized bedroom with 3 singles and. bunk bed, like a youth hostel. Bathroom was tiny with door handle hanging off. very very basic and run down, but in fairness it was clean.

Breakfast - like a homeless shelter, very dated, tables and chairs, sat sharing a table with complete strangers. Food was actually quite nice, but the setting was very uncomfortable for our family.

£10 deposit for the TV remote - speechless!

I would only recommend this to any desperate for a room, its fairly clean but very basic and run down.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Texas, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I booked this hotel online to stay during March 10-12, and the reviews I read sounded like it would be a charming bed and breakfast, once my husband and I entered the hotel, we realized there was nothing charming about this place. It was overrun with teenagers going in and out to smoke cigarettes and our room, lucky us, was located near the billiard room where they hung out. It was noisy and we did not feel our things were safe in our room.
Our room was tiny and dreary, with barely room to walk around the bed. It was cold. Just so happens we were there when they were getting snow flurries in March, but the wind was blowing the curtains in our room, so we had to get our towels to stuff around the window to block in some of the heat.
The bathroom was very tiny, to say the least, I have seen larger bathrooms in RVs, or as they say in the UK, Caravans. When you took a shower, the shower curtain became wet and cold and stuck to you. I am not a large person. I am 5 foot 3 inches and weigh around 125 pounds; I found this shower too small for myself, so I can't imagine how my husband felt. As you were showering the water sprayed all over the toilette, (yes, even with the shower curtain pulled shut) and water flowed over the tiny lip (that separated the shower stall from the rest of the bathroom) and flowed out the bathroom door onto the bedroom floor where we had to use the rest of our towels to sop up the water. BTW, the bathroom was an insert put into an older building, that did not have a bathroom there originally, so you have to consider their options, I guess.
My husband was going to watch television, which was a nice flatscreen TV, but we could not find the remote. We called the front desk where the clerk told us we had to pay a depost of 10 pounds to use the remote....really?! The TV was set on some horrible channel with the volume up very loud, so what was our choice? We gave the deposit so we could turn the channels and the sound down. Then I went to dry my hair, no hair dryer, yep, you got it, 10 pounds deposit to use the hair dryer. Since we had to wash our hair, (and all of the other hotels on our trip supplied hair dryers so I didn't pack one) I paid the deposit. The mini-fridge, needless to say, did not work, barely kept things cool.
Breakfast was decent, not great. There might have meat on the buffet spread, but there were so many young teenagers (honestly, there were easily 20-30, maybe more), that we never saw anything resembling protein except boiled eggs which were devoured almost before we could get to the next batch that was brought out.The poor cook was overworked and surely underpaid.
This hotel is listed as a bed and breakfast, the title boasts "Hotel," but seriously it was more or less a youth hostel. Yes, it was spring break, but we were not expecting to contend with the noise and the traffic of energetic teens.
When our transfer came to get us at the end of our stay he informed us that this area had once been full of prostitutes and riff raff but had since cleaned it up. It did look very nice from the outside, but the inside told another story.Internet is 9 pounds a day, no complimentary WIFI. They had a baggage room to store luggage, which was really a hallway separated by glass doors and the door to the street.

Room Tip: Expect to bring cash to put deposits down for remote to TV, hairdryers, etc. Not a place for peace...
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Made a booking through an agent for a one night stay on a Saturday night, when I come to print out my itinerary for my trip to London I find the booking has been made for the wrong Saturday night. I called the hotel directly and the receptionist assured me that there was no availability for the night I booked and that my booking had been deleted/cancelled on their system so I should receive a refund from my agent if I contact them.

After contacting the agent (who were excellent), and explaining my situation they contacted the hotel and received a response a few days later. They stated the hotel had replied to my request by stating I was a "no show" and therefore had no right to a refund. I contacted the hotel and spoke to a different receptionist who told me that the lady I spoke to previously was "only a part time employee working on a Saturday that doesn't know much" and he had "no idea how she could have seen my booking was cancelled when it was plainly down as a no show". I argued that just because I was now seeking a refund from the hotel and agent he could have easily changed what the system showed, he wasn't having any of it and maintained that "my colleague was obviously not doing her job if she couldn't see the difference between cancelled and a no show". I decided to give up in the end as I wasn't getting anywhere but they have probably booked out the room I was due to have and pocketed my money.

I re-booked with the same agent but this time for a Palace Court Hotel in Notting Hill. £2 more per night and I got a triple (not double) room which is 100 yards down the road from the Shakespeare. Take my advice and book there instead.

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I arrive at the Shakespeare Hotel without any confirm reservation and an incident took place where I was mug with my wallet stolen from me, it was around 03:00 am, at reception there was a night receptionist by the name of Ashvin, I explain to him what really happen to me, I had ask him if I could call my mother and ask her to pay for my accommodation over the phone, he told me that normally the hotel does not accept this procedure, but then was welling to help, I got my mum to call back the hotel and she gave all her details to pay for my accommodation, the receptionist went out of his way to help as a human being, I call this a great customer service that I did not expect .
He gave me a very nice and clean single room with English breakfast included. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friend and family who want a place to stay in London.

Paul Everton
Great Yarmouth

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Shakespeare Hotel? Share your experiences!