“Dont be tempted” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #830 of 1,052 Hotels in London
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Dont be tempted”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

March 2007, a friend and I (two single girls 20-somethings) stayed at the Craven Gardens Hotel in London's Bayswater neighborhood. The hotel has some ok reviews from other travelers, was affordable and in a great area... BUT... please do not be tempted by these things to stay here. The reception area was small as I expected, but clean, so my first impression was ok. We checked in and were able to check in early, so I thought we had made a good choice... but then we went up to the room... It was extremely small and reminded me of a hospital room for some reason. We went to take a nap and noticed that we were missing one half of our window curtains. We went downstairs to ask them what could be done about this and they sent up the "housekeepers" in their stilleto boots who then climbed on one of our beds to replace one half of the curtain with another half that didnt match the first half. Basically, in the basement is a hostel and even the hotel guests are treated just like hostel guests. The customer service was minimal and borderline rude, getting extra towels was like pulling teeth, the shower hardly worked and when it did would be scalding hot or freezing cold, but no where in between.
So, dont say you havent been warned - i know this hotel is a good deal, but you might as well stay at a hostel for less money...

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Menifee, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2006

This was our first trip to London. We traveled on a United Airlines Vacation package. I would almost rather have stayed home! The smoke was horrible; I would imagine some people have left even though they prepaid for their room. As for the food, go for coffee and toast only. The room was so hot it was unbearable, even though it was cool outside and we left the window open all night. I will say the bathroom was more forgiving. It was clean and there was lots of hot water. All in all I would not return again. In fairness to the facility, I think they should advertise themselves as a youth hostel, but not as a hotel for the general public.

• Stayed May 2006
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2005

Before this trip I had stayed at 3 other London budget hotels and didn't like any of them, so I know how hard it is to find a good value in London - But Craven Gardens is one. I stayed there in March 2005, in a single for £39 a night. The hotel's location is fabulous, just a block from Kensington Gardens, two minute walk to a bus stop, 5 minutes to two tube stations and to lots of cheap eats on Queensway. The building and lobby are clean and nicely decorated, there's a lift. The breakfast (included in the price) was great - eggs, toast, bacon, juice, coffee. The room itself was small (but no smaller than any other room I've stayed in in London). There was just a double bed and essentially no other furniture (or room for any). But there was an alcove with space to hang clothes, lay your suitcase,etc. There was tea/coffee maker, TV, huge window, and very clean modern bathroom. I will most definitly stay there again.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2005

Recently returned from 11 nights at Craven Gardens and I will be back! Friendly and helpful staff, comfortable room, hot English breakfast daily. This hotel is conveniently located to major bus routes (15 minutes at peak hours to Piccadilly Circus) and tube stations. Good pub next door. Quiet room, no noisy neighbors. The staff really made my stay special with their cheerful help. This was my 15th trip to London and I have finally found a budget hotel that I would recommend to friends/family. Prospective guests must remember that budget hotels in England (all of Europe, from my experience) do not have large rooms, but the bed was comfortable, the bathroom large by Brit standards and everything was very clean. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2005

I stayed here for four nights in the hotel. The staff were not friendly and they were not at all knowledgable (fortunatly for us we had both been to London before and so we were fairly familiar with our surroundings. When we checked in the sheets and the toilet were dirty. Yes the room is tiny, but we knew that going in. I guess the value isn't that bad, but we probably could have done better. Unless you are looking for somewhere really cheap, don't stay here. Oh yeah the breakfast was... as they say in the UK... rubbish.

• Stayed June 2005
Glenwood Springs, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2005

Just got back from 6 days in London where we stayed the entire time at this part hotel/part youth hostel. If you like traffic noise, young people partying, lots of rap music blaring at every breakfast, smoke and very uninformed staff, this is the place. Oh, did I mention hearing every word through the walls in the next room at 2 am? The breakfast was terrible unless you like fake eggs and very greasy ham. And don't forget the stale cornflakes. Now to be fair, this location is superbly close to Hyde Park and two very convenient tube stations (Queensway and Bayswater.) The shower was wonderful. And for 50 pence you can logon to a computer very conveniently located in the lounge area for 15 minutes. It's great for e-mailing home if you have a web account. But the lack of space, smoke permeating from every wall, hearing every door slam, cramped room, traffic noise even for the price would keep me from staying there in the future.

• Stayed March 2005
Orange County
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2004

This hotel is basically a Motel 6 type, the rooms are tiny, smelly, hot (in the winter!) and not close to the tube (4 -5 blocks away). There are no non smoking rooms, no central air and is very noisy at night. People are coming and going all the time as the bottom floor is a hostel for young people. Bring your ear plugs and if you are staying here, good luck.

Been to Craven Gardens Hotel? Share your experiences!