“Oh brother!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Craven Gardens Hotel

Craven Gardens Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Craven Gardens Hotel
You added Craven Gardens Hotel to your Saves list
16 Leinster Terrace, London W2 3ES, England   |
Ranked #824 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Menifee, CA
“Oh brother!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2006

This was our first trip to London. We traveled on a United Airlines Vacation package. I would almost rather have stayed home! The smoke was horrible; I would imagine some people have left even though they prepaid for their room. As for the food, go for coffee and toast only. The room was so hot it was unbearable, even though it was cool outside and we left the window open all night. I will say the bathroom was more forgiving. It was clean and there was lots of hot water. All in all I would not return again. In fairness to the facility, I think they should advertise themselves as a youth hostel, but not as a hotel for the general public.

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2005

Before this trip I had stayed at 3 other London budget hotels and didn't like any of them, so I know how hard it is to find a good value in London - But Craven Gardens is one. I stayed there in March 2005, in a single for £39 a night. The hotel's location is fabulous, just a block from Kensington Gardens, two minute walk to a bus stop, 5 minutes to two tube stations and to lots of cheap eats on Queensway. The building and lobby are clean and nicely decorated, there's a lift. The breakfast (included in the price) was great - eggs, toast, bacon, juice, coffee. The room itself was small (but no smaller than any other room I've stayed in in London). There was just a double bed and essentially no other furniture (or room for any). But there was an alcove with space to hang clothes, lay your suitcase,etc. There was tea/coffee maker, TV, huge window, and very clean modern bathroom. I will most definitly stay there again.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2005

Recently returned from 11 nights at Craven Gardens and I will be back! Friendly and helpful staff, comfortable room, hot English breakfast daily. This hotel is conveniently located to major bus routes (15 minutes at peak hours to Piccadilly Circus) and tube stations. Good pub next door. Quiet room, no noisy neighbors. The staff really made my stay special with their cheerful help. This was my 15th trip to London and I have finally found a budget hotel that I would recommend to friends/family. Prospective guests must remember that budget hotels in England (all of Europe, from my experience) do not have large rooms, but the bed was comfortable, the bathroom large by Brit standards and everything was very clean. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2005

I stayed here for four nights in the hotel. The staff were not friendly and they were not at all knowledgable (fortunatly for us we had both been to London before and so we were fairly familiar with our surroundings. When we checked in the sheets and the toilet were dirty. Yes the room is tiny, but we knew that going in. I guess the value isn't that bad, but we probably could have done better. Unless you are looking for somewhere really cheap, don't stay here. Oh yeah the breakfast was... as they say in the UK... rubbish.

• Stayed June 2005
Glenwood Springs, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2005

Just got back from 6 days in London where we stayed the entire time at this part hotel/part youth hostel. If you like traffic noise, young people partying, lots of rap music blaring at every breakfast, smoke and very uninformed staff, this is the place. Oh, did I mention hearing every word through the walls in the next room at 2 am? The breakfast was terrible unless you like fake eggs and very greasy ham. And don't forget the stale cornflakes. Now to be fair, this location is superbly close to Hyde Park and two very convenient tube stations (Queensway and Bayswater.) The shower was wonderful. And for 50 pence you can logon to a computer very conveniently located in the lounge area for 15 minutes. It's great for e-mailing home if you have a web account. But the lack of space, smoke permeating from every wall, hearing every door slam, cramped room, traffic noise even for the price would keep me from staying there in the future.

• Stayed March 2005
Orange County
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2004

This hotel is basically a Motel 6 type, the rooms are tiny, smelly, hot (in the winter!) and not close to the tube (4 -5 blocks away). There are no non smoking rooms, no central air and is very noisy at night. People are coming and going all the time as the bottom floor is a hostel for young people. Bring your ear plugs and if you are staying here, good luck.

Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2004

I stayed at this hotel from Sept. 14-21, 2004. The hotel was clean, although the rooms could use a little upgrading, i.e drapes, carpeting, but then you are not in the room that much. The staff was most helpful and accomodating. The full English breakfast was quite adequate, but the menu was the same every day. I especially enjoyed visiting with other guests from around the world at night in the lobby bar. Very close to Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens and located between two tube stations, which made getting around London pretty easy. Only a block and a half away from the bus stop. I took Airbus 2 from Heathrow and it stopped about two blocks away from the hotel. Numerous restaurants and pubs in the area especially along Bayswater Road and Queensway. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2004