“glad to be out of there.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pembridge Palace Hotel

You added Pembridge Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Pembridge Palace Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Prince's Square, London W2 4PX, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #892 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Finland
“glad to be out of there.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Ah, such a misleading name. This place is far from a palace. Dear fellow adventurers, turn around right now and run. Save yourselves. The hotel is falling apart and the staff is as helpful as a pile of bricks. The location is fine, but really not worth all the trouble.

I stayed at this hotel in 2011 with my mum and a friend, and everything was fine, so I thought, "hey, why not stay at that nice hotel again this year. It's cheap and comfortable!" Hahaha, WRONG. Cheap, yes. Comfortable? Not so much. This time I was traveling solo, my first time ever staying at a hotel all by myself, and I cannot fully express just how stressful my stay at Pembridge (non)Palace was.

First of all, the location of my room. Wow. From day one, I started calling it the Doom Room. So many stairs and steps, seriously. I almost fell a dozen times. Dragging a semi-large suitcase into the room was next to impossible. It was very cramped, located above an emergency stairwell, and I could hardly even reach the lock on the door (and I'm above average height, mind you). Speaking of locks, it says "electronic key card" on the hotel's website, right? Well, yeah, that's a lie.

Secondly (and most importantly, at least to a 22-year-old geek like me), the internet. One thing to say about the wi-fi: there is none. Again, if you check the hotel's own website, it says the following: "Wireless Internet Access in every room." Excuse me while I bang my head against the wall. I stayed at this hotel for a week, from Monday to Sunday. On Monday night, I purchased a card that had a wi-fi ID and password on it. Note: this system worked just fine in December 2011, so I thought it would not fail me. Oh, naiive little me. There was no internet to be found. It just did not work, simple as that. On Tuesday morning, I complained to a staff member who then rudely called it "a SMALL problem" and told me that there is no wi-fi available in room 209. She did not offer me a refund, however. Upon realising that the hotel had taken 7 pounds from me while giving me absolutely nothing in return, I was upset to say the least. During my stay, I explained the situation to 5 different staff members, all of whom refused to give me back my £7 and came up with various excuses (from "you misunderstood, this hotel only has wi-fi in the lobby" to "now is not the time for refunds!"). The night before my flight home, I finally managed to get the money -- no thanks to the manager I never even saw. Such a mess.

And a cherry on top of the sundae of misery: the toilet didn't flush properly (an issue that was never actually fixed), the tv didn't work at first because the batteries had basically exploded inside the remote, and the vending machine downstairs was out of order. Oh yeah, and there was some nice and LOUD renovation work going on down the street. Nothing like waking up to inexplicably loud music every morning, am I right.

So yeah, in conclusion: DON'T. Just don't.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Palace? That's a joke. Looks fantastic on the pictures but the truth is very different. The place needs gutting and refurbishing. Damaged furniture and fittings. Shower didn't drain. Strange smell. worn bed clothes. poor state of repair. Find a different hotel

• Stayed September 2013
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Fortunately I only needed this Hotel for one night as I was flying home the next day. The room was barely big enough for a bed and a table with a tv. The window curtains lay right on top of the electric heater/radiator. A previous guest had unplugged the electrics, and no wonder as they featured exposed wiring hanging out of the wall. I alerted the manager, and he found me another outlet in the room but it still left a poor taste in my mouth. There were no tea amenities in the room as there had been in all the other hotels I'd stayed in. The lobby was well appointed though. There was an advertisement on the table(sanctioned by the management it appeared) for arranging cab fare to various places in London but the rates seemed extravagant. The bathroom, thought private, was in a separate room a half flight of stairs up from the main room, through public halls, and the shower another half flight down also on a public staircase. The room numbering was confusing.

Room Tip: Ask for a double room it may solve some of these problems, but beware safety issues.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Darlington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Well located for commuting in & out of the city. Less than 5 mins walk from Bayswater tube station.
Rooms built for hobbits! Mezzanine floors have been built into rooms to provide more bed space but unable to stand up straight on upper floor. Bathrooms tiny & damp smelling due to lack of ventilation. Price very competitive which is fine if you don't intend spending any time in room. TV provided but hanging in ridiculous place so you can't watch it from upstairs or bed downstairs. Need to sit on chair/floor. I watched it through a mirror. Didn't bother with breakfast after 1st day as not up to much. As the saying goes 'you get what you pay for'.

Amman, Jordan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The hotel is infested with bed bugs. My wife, my 7 year old son and I suffered from severe bed bug bites during our stay at this hotel. Having never experienced bed bug bites we initially thought they were mosquito bites, since it was hot and we left the window open. After a couple of nights the bites well all over our bodies and we complained at reception. They changed our room (initially 311 and then 413) but the problem was even worse. At the time of writing this review we are all under medical care for this problem.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stay on this hotel for 5 nights, the rooms are small but that is London, near to many restaurants and shops, Close to Bayswater and Queensway Metro, many buses that take you to the center if you ask, the cleaning was good, and the service can be improve with a Little bit more of Customer Service Training, the only Big Minus is the Internet, no free WI-Fi Come on its 2013 people need Wireless, so next time at least that has to be already fix, breakfast was good and the service was really nice, we spend most the night there but still i recommend this Place its really Nice and central

Room Tip: Room in the first floor give a easy access if you are a family so your kids can access easy and fast...
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Family of 4 in London for 3 nights. Hotel has average standard. Small rooms relatively clean. Breakfast average. 5 min walk to Tube station Bayswater. Quiet area. WIFI costs extra. No Air Conditioning in the rooms.
Very good help from Reception, especailly Tee, who helped us with our voyage to Paris.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Pembridge Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!