“The Finest in Subterranean Living” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pembridge Palace Hotel

You added Pembridge Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Pembridge Palace Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Prince's Square, London W2 4PX, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #892 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Lucerne, Switzerland
“The Finest in Subterranean Living”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I had a squalid little room on the lowest level. Carpet was dirty and the room stank. Bed and sheets were more or less clean. Breakfast had the usual low value carbohydrate items, no meat or eggs, some cheese. but there was a microwave. Expand your culinary breakfast assortment at the nearby Tesco or Sainsburys.

Not cheap, but lousy.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I do not ususally write reviews, but having read the previous reviews for this hotel, I felt inclined to do so. I must admit I was a bit daft and booked the Pembridge Palace Hotel before I read up the reviews, and was starting to panic. Mice in the room? Freezing cold at night? Dirty and mouldy? We had booked a triple room, and were placed on the second floor. We knew to expect a small room, but honestly, we were in London to be out and about sightseeing as much as possible, not spending much time in the room, so we were not overly bothered about the lack of space. The bathroom smelled strongly of disinfectant, so we knew it had been cleaned earlier that morning, and there was no mould or dirt to be seen.The shower was powerful enough and the water was scalding hot. The beds were rock hard, but the room was very warm, and after a long day of walking around, I would have slept on a bench. We didn't hear much from the other rooms or the hallways, just your usual hotel noises. Again, having read about how awful the breakfast was, we were a little apprehensive about what we would find to eat. Cheese, boiled and scrambled eggs, toast and bread, jam, honey, chocolate spread, peanut butter, three types of cereal, tea and coffee and hot chocolate, yoghurt and fruit.. not michelin star cuisine by any means, but you have booked yourself into a three star hotel, what more can you really ask for? We had little need to interact with staff, so I am afraid I can only say that the reception staff were efficiant and always at the desk when we passed by. The hotel itself was in a perfect location for us - a half hour walk through Kensington Park ( which is beautiful ) took you to the three big museums - the Victoria and Albert, the Science and the National History. The tube stations are a gentle ten minute walk and take you to Westminster and Oxford St, the big tourist areas. So all in all, we concluded that the hotel was not as terrible as we had been lead to believe, and the only complaint I really had was that they were very stingy with their little milk pots - one cup of tea a day, I am a tea Jennie, it's just not good enough ! I think perhaps some people geniunely did have a terrible time, which you could get at any hotel, lets face it, but I do think some people were expecting to pay little but receive 5 star treatment..

Room Tip: Room 203 was a triple room and had a lovely view of the gardens.
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Pembridge Palace is not Ritz, but I didn't expect it either:-) The Hotel was central in Bayswater, not far from Hyde Park ( good for jogging trips in the morning) The rooms are small but clean, and they made the beds and put in fresh towels every day. The water didn't go out of our bathroom sink, but when I told the staff, it was fixed in a blink. The breakfast was included, but was maybe not that impressive. My diabetes 2 prevent me from chocolate and jam, but cheese and tomatoes made sure I wasn't hungry. We were three persons, so it was a bit cramped in the little room. How ever we was not in London to stay in the Hotel, only to sleep there so it really didn't matter. The area is quiet and it was not much noise from the other rooms.
So if you are looking for a central, affordable place to stay in London, I can recommend this. I will have no problems in returning here myself.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
PembridgePalace, Guest Relations Manager at Pembridge Palace Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to write about your experience staying at our hotel. We highly appreciate every guest's comment! This gives us clear indications on every area we have to improve on.

We are happy to hear that more and more satisfied customers do spend some time to share their experience of their stay at the Pembridge Palace Hotel!

Thank you very much for your review!
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I guess I should have known that cheap hotels in London are bad but the fact that I got a single room WITHOUT a bathroom came as a shock. It had supposedly told me so on the internet site but frankly I did not think that these rooms existed in a hotel anymore. One night and £ 30 later I moved to a single with bathroom, which was much better. All rooms are small but I did see 105 , a double, which looked nice and so I would suspect that 105,205 , 305 and 405 are the best rooms. The location of the hotel is great with Hyde Park a few minutes away and Notting Hill on the other side. So if you are looking for a cheap hotel and do not care about size of room and overall shabbiness then this is ok. Personally, I would pay another £ 50 pppn and get a nicer hotel.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

stayed about 4 nights in family room. very close to baywaters station. Probably 10-15 mins walk to hyde park. many HALAL restaurants, Tesco express and souvenir shops near by . room is kinda small, but its acceptable. toilet is clean. Dont mind to come back next time!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

It was the best hotel on the street, wasnt sure after reading other reviews but its an old house converted to a hotel, not the Hilton, what do you expect for 3 star! Breakfast was disappointing, in the cramped downstairs restaurant. The room was small but adequate for our needs with everything you would expect. Othes were noisy but we were under the staircase so cant stop people banging doors!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thetford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I've always thought the best thing about London is the road out..no matter what the nature of my visit, the prospect of going home is a driving factor in getting through it. Not for me, the seething mass of toxic greed and vacuous materialism..I prefer to define the UK by everything but London (can we not get it to declare independence??)....and so to this hotel...initially impressed, my opinion was soon downgraded when I got into my broom cupboard of a room...a thin slither of floor space between two floors with a bathroom and toilet two flights of stairs away...beware if you get room 112 especially if claustrophobia is your bag...it's a bit like platform 9 3/4 in Harry Potter...only just about exists within your imagination. Even an Easy hotel room is bigger and better than this. Sixty squid this cost me...now I know that's a bargain in London (my view is everything in London should be cheaper than everywhere else though!) but you still expect a modicum of value...this delivered nothing of the sort. It did nothing to chip away at my preconceptions of our esteemed capital city...it just confirmed by belief that London really is the global centre of pointless profiteering, exploitation, avarice and rampant consumerism! No wonder this is where our politicians are based! Rant over!

Room Tip: Do not chose room 112 or indeed any room that doubles up as a linen cupboard!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pembridge Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!