“A perfect celebration with "Chocolate Afternoon Tea"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Royal Park Hotel to your Saves list
The Royal Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Westbourne Terrace, Lancaster Gate, Hyde Park, London W2 3UL, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #130 of 1,075 hotels in London
“A perfect celebration with "Chocolate Afternoon Tea"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Chose this lovely venue to host a chocolate afternoon tea for a birthday celebration with approx 20 people. Great location, placed centrally between Lancaster Gate and Paddington making it easy for everyone to get to.
The hotel's chef exceeded our expectations with the unusual bread and delicious sandwich fillings, chocolate truffles, scones and cakes that melted in our mouths all beautifully presented.
The service was outstanding, with all the staff more than happy to cater to our every need & had even decorated the room with fresh roses and petals.
My guests and I look forward to visiting this hotel again very soon!

• Stayed October 2013

735 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wien
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My team and I only spent one night and one meeting at their premises. The first very positive impression was the short walk from Paddington - perfect for when you travel via Paddington Express from/to Heathrow. The second, probably more important, positive impression was the staff. Extremely well trained to be friendly, forthcoming but not too presumptuous.
Indeed, this is not the largest hotel. The rooms are very luxurious, especially the bed, but still failry small. However, the way everything is arranged and how tidy everything is prepared makes up for the lack of space. Two things that I value most were in perfect shape - ie the bathroom (not a single stain or piece of dark silicone) and the bed (perfectly made, great pillows, all fresh). The breakfast was excellent and all a la carte orders were made swiftly. The breakfast room itself is also quite posh and victorian. Location-wise this hotel has one big advantage other than the vincinity to Paddington: Lancaster Gate tube station is also around the corner which means you can bypass all the hassle of Paddington when taking the tube to the City.
Verdict: full price for the size of rooms, but definitely compensated by friendliness and tidyness.

Room Tip: Chose a room away from the street, then it is actually very quiet to leave a window open overnight...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

More than anything else, the staff at this hotel deserves enormous praise. They are exceptionally friendly, helpful, and do whatever they can to ensure your stay is pleasant. During our 5 nights there, they made us feel very much at home. Service was excellent, prompt, and always accompanied with a genuine, warm smile. They made every effort to ensure our stay was enjoyable, including ensuring our laundry was done in the same day despite having missed the cut-off time (something that can be very important on a long trip). The room was very comfortable, clean, with a very comfortable king bed, a good-sized bathroom, and home-made cookies each day in your room. The breakfast was also delicious, served in their nicely-appointed dining room. Our room was an executive double. Our friends stayed in a double, and the only difference was a smaller (queen) bed.

The hotel is located in a quiet area of London, close to Paddington Station (just over 2 blocks), Lancaster Gate tube Station (1.5 blocks), and Hyde Park (just over a block). As a result of its location, with 4 tube lines nearby (3 through Paddington) you can go nearly anywhere in London easily. If you are coming from Heathrow on the train to Paddington, it is an easy walk to the hotel.

At the end of our visit, my iPhone fell out of my pocket in a taxi. I notified the hotel, left a text message on my phone with instructions to take it to the hotel. The taxi driver returned the phone to the hotel, and the hotel staff mailed it to our hotel in York, where it was waiting for me at check-in. All through this process, the staff was incredibly helpful and went out of their way to make sure I was reunited with my phone, including checking in to make sure I received it.

At check-out we did have a small variation in our bill from expectation, but they promptly corrected it without question.

I love this hotel. I will definitely stay here again in future visits, and strongly recommend it.

Room Tip: There are differences in amenities by category. The double and executive double are nearly identica...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The hotel is located in a very quiet area away from the hustle and bustle of Baywater Road few yards from Kensington Gardens. The hotel is nicely decorated with Victorian artifacts and offer confortable and welcoming guests’ areas. The hotel is few steps away from Lancaster Gate Underground very easy if you want to shop in Oxford Street, Mayfair or Knightsbridge or even Westfield Shopping Centre, it is also very near Notting Hill Gate and Paddington Station as well as Little Venice, making the hotel ideal for tourists, or businesses as Lancaster Gate offers direct access to the City. We stayed here for our wedding anniversary and on arrival and during our stay, the staff was efficient and very helpful. We were offered a complimentary drink on arrival ie tea, coffee or fruit juice that was brought into our room when we were getting settled. We had a rather small double room overlooking the London’s rooftops with a small double bed which was perfect as we wanted to snuggle. The bed was extremely confortable. The bathroom was small but everything you needed was there, the free cookies found in the room at our arrival were rather stale, this was may be overlooked by the housekeeper as well as the missing slippers. The room, I was told, needed some refurbishment and this shows. I understood this has been scheduled and shows some willingness from the managerial team to sort things as soon as it is possible to do so. The hotel offers evening drinks with nibbles to their guests, it is a very nice and personal touch very rare in our days, and was very much appreciated, drinks can be taken inside or outside in a very confortable patio area making you feel miles away from one of the busiest towns on the planet. The breakfast served in our room was very nicely presented and everything was delicious from the orange juice, coffee, croissant and brioche, so big thumbs up for this superb breakfast tray. Overall a pleasant stay even if we got some few hiccups during our stay leaving some rooms for improvement, but Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed here for a quick stop-over whilst commuting to work. I had a rather small double room with a small double bed which is perfect for one person, or two people who don't mind snuggling. The bathroom was small and quaint, and the hotel gave me free cookies which was perfect to return to during a rough day at hospital. The hotel was very quiet, I had no problem with noise, and the staff were super friendly and helpful. My boyfriend visited me there and they had no problems with him coming in. There's always someone on the door, and it has a feel as if you're staying over in a dorm or someone's rather lavish house as there's a curfew on when you can come back during the night due to the residential area and noise levels. As I was staying for work, I wasn't able to check out the breakfast or bar areas, but saw it was always buzzing and friendly. If I had to stay around Paddington again, I'd certainly stay there compared to the Hilton.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

London's hotels are a mix bag. This is a hotel in a super area - Paddington/Hyde Park, but does that mean that it should have a premium price? It is handy for Lancaster Gate, 5/10 min walk or Paddington, 5 mins.

For a room that costs approx £250 per night I expect more than what we got in the Executive Double. No tea/coffee in the room - room service only. No water included - £2.50 for a bottle of still water, which in many top hotels/boutique hotels is included, is just inexcusable. The cost of room nibbles was unacceptable, too. £3 for a packet of crisps. Come on Royal Park - this is not right and makes people angry, whether they can afford it or not! Go to the shop around the corner (there are plenty) and stock up.

If you have children, please be careful with the taps. The cold water tap is hot until it runs through. The hot water tap is scaldingly hot and, to be fair, should have a scald warning.

Breakfast is delightful. We had the continental breakfast. Day 1 we weren't asked if we wanted toast with our breakfast - it is included, so ask. Day 2, I had to ask - it was provided. The coffee, Costa Rican, was lovely, as was the fresh orange.

The champagne, to go with the canapés in the evening, was CAVA. You will offend the whole French nation by continuing with this huge faux pas!

I seemed to remember the two other times I have stayed here that the arrival drink could be an alcoholic one - we were offered fruit juices, tea and coffee.

The bed was really comfortable.

We asked for the ironing board (there isn't one in your room) for a certain time the next morning. We were late meeting our friends for breakfast because it didn't arrive and I had to ring down to remind the staff.

I think the main issue is that we could have stayed in a brand new hotel in County Hall for less money with more space with tea/coffee/water included and with an extra room besides the bedroom. I've been in a standard room in the past and expected the executive room to be so much more. For this I can only give an average rating and I will have to think long and hard about staying here for the fourth time.

I gave my comments about the nibbles/tea/coffee, & the hot water issue to the receptionist on Sunday morning and she shrugged. For nearly £500 for two nights I expect better and more.

An average grading for a £250 a night hotel is not good enough and I'm sure Laurent will want to think long and hard about getting this right because the little tweaks make the difference. I hope to give the hotel a second chance because I have a soft spot for it!!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Laurent B, General Manager at The Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your very valuable comments.
I am so sorry you felt your stay could have been more enjoyable but I am delighted to see that you have a soft spot for the hotel.
Thank you for your comments about the mini bar prices. The convenience of having these items directly in your room does come at a price. We are very mindful that hotel prices for food and beverage are higher than a normal corner shop but I can assure you that they are not higher than any other hotels in the area or in London. Please note that we do offer complimentary water on turn down every evening and place it on each bedside tables.
With regards to the complimentary welcoming drinks, we have always offered soft drinks, juices and tea and coffee. You were maybe generously offered an alcoholic beverage in the past but this has never been a standard of the Royal Park Hotel.
Please do contact me directly when you next choose to stay with us as I would like to personally handle your reservation and make sure that the room we select for you will up to your expectations.
Kind regards,

Laurent Boutonne
lboutonne@theroyalpark.com
Torbay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were lucky enough to have stayed in a four poster suite on the 3rd floor. It was very comfortable and surprisingly quiet at night both from noise inside the hotel and from the road outside.
The hotel is only about 10 minutes walk from Paddington Station (I think the hotels claim that it is only 2 minutes is a bit optimistic!) and about 10 - 15 minutes from Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens.
Breakfast, is not included in the price, at least it wasn't in ours and was on the pricey side and on the morning we ate in the restaurant, the service was somewhat disorganized.
All the staff were polite and helpful.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Royal Park Hotel? Share your experiences!