“A pleasant surprise that was just what we needed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Royal Park Hotel to your Saves list
The Royal Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Westbourne Terrace, Lancaster Gate, Hyde Park, London W2 3UL, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #141 of 1,069 hotels in London
“A pleasant surprise that was just what we needed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

After stumbling upon this hotel during a vacation with my daughter, this lovely little jewel was just what we needed! The room, though small (but try to pay for one in London that isn't), was charming and restful. The bathroom was clean and cozy as well. There were many small touches that we're appreciated by exhausted daughter and myself. Service was attentive without being annoying. We did not have breakfast, but elected to sleep in. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013

703 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Banchory, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I see there are a few negative reviews on here of the Royal Park, however I must say that I've been staying here regularly for the last couple of years and have found this to be an excellent hotel that suits my needs well. Most of the rooms are quiet and well appointed, the ventilation and a/c works well, and isn't too noisy, and I love that I can have breakfast delivered to my room allowing me to catch up on work emails etc before heading out.
Staff are always helpful and friendly, and internet access is (normally) fast and free of charge. They also have nice touches like tea or coffee on arrival and every evening from 19:00-20:00 complimentary champagne and canapés are served by the fire - marvellous !
I don't often eat here in the evening (only room service available for this) but when I have the food has been fine.
So, all in all a good hotel in central London that's only 5 minutes walk from Paddington Station and is friendly and relaxing.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms are quieter; see if there are any suites available.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I don't know if there has recently been a change in management or policies, that would certainly help me understand the scarcity of the service received given all the nice reviews here, but The Royal Park Hotel doesn't seem to keep his promises. They pride themselves to be a 4* and a half (I asked) boutique hotel, always striving to meet their customers' expectations, although that is not the impression I left with.

Maybe room cleaningness, on time wake up calls and breakfast, sufficient facilities and enough staff are not among their priorities, but unfortunately they are amongst mine. Thanks to their "efficiency" I arrived at work late, stressed and starving and when I complained about the late wake up call and wanted my uneaten breakfast reimbursed, they couldn't admit they were in the wrong, which I found offensive and unacceptable.

I have honestly been to better serviced and organized hotels and even guest houses that didn't even brag about their exellency or demanded well-deserved recognition.

Here what we have is a nice property in an advantageous position, terribly managed and very much self-important. They try to lure guests with small touches (cookies, welcome notes) that I admittedly appreciated but then they don't guarantee their customers basic services and rights.

Be it for business or leisure, if you want a good service, look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Laurent B, General Manager at The Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments.
I would like to express my deepest apologies about your recent experience at the Royal Park.
I can confirm that we have not changed our management team and that most members of the team have actually been working together for quite a long time.
I would very much like to investigate more in depth what you experienced during your recent stay. Would you be so kind to contact me directly and help me to understand where the level of service went wrong. At this stage, I have not managed to find a report of the issues you experienced from my duty managers.
In the meantime, I can assure you that the level of service you received does not represent the standards I want our guests to experience.
I look forward to hearing from you soon,

lboutonne@theroyalpark.com
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I only stayed one night and had seen all the good reviews, my room was a standard double for single occupancy which was fine, problem was the trains, avoid the basement rooms as the noise can be annoying and keep you awake . Breakfast was a bit disappointing, tables were a mess and service was slow, not good value. Overall the staff were very helpful and attentive so I will stay again but I was disappointed.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your very valuable comments.
I am sorry to read that you felt breakfast was slightly disorganised. My team works hard to try and give the best service to all our guests. However the size of our breakfast room can sometimes be challenging and make it hard for us to cope with the demand. I will make sure your comments are shared with the team and we will strive to make improvements.
With regards to the Garden level room, please do contact me directly when you next choose to stay with us and I will make sure you are allocated on a high floor and very well looked after.
Kindest regards,

lboutonne@theroyalpark.com
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I had high hopes for this hotel from the excellent reviews online, but my overall experience was an outmost disappointment. I travelled with my husband and stayed at The Royal Park for 4 nights. The room we've been given was the size of a closet and terribly insulated as we kept on hearing the steps and voices of the room above us. The pipes were noisy as well and in the morning there wasn't any hot water for the shower because apparently too many people were using the water at the same time?! Isn't this supposed to be a small boutique hotel with less than 50 rooms??

The wi-fi connection is no better. Kept on disconnecting and made it impossible to work.

The breakfast is unique though: I never experienced such confusing system in any other hotel I've been before! The morning is stressful...with people queuing behind you, it doesn't really feel like enjoying your overpriced (almost £20!!!!) English Breakfast.

This hotel is pretentious and overpriced and while it isn't worth the number on the bill you're presented at the end, it is worth each word of this review.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Laurent B, General Manager at The Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your very valuable comments,
I would like to express my deepest apologies for failing to reach your expectations during your recent stay at the Royal Park Hotel.
I am sorry to read that you were affected by the incident with our boiler that Sunday morning. Please rest assured that when such an unforeseeable incident happens, it is our priority to fix it and cause as little distress and inconvenience to our guests.
With regards to breakfast, we are very much aware that the size of our Green Room can be restricted, hence we try to be as organised as possible and require our guests to make table reservations for breakfast. Even though we do offer an in room dining option with no extra delivery charge, our breakfast room has become extremely popular and this can sometimes result in some of our guests waiting to be seated. Fortunately, as summer comes, we will soon be able to offer extra seating in our very private garden.
Once again, thank you very much for your comments and accept my sincere apologies. I do hope I will have the opportunity of winning your confidence back in the near future.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have thought about writing a review of The Royal Park Hotel on many occasions but each time I have resisted on the grounds that I don't want lots of people to be aware of the place because it's possibly the most perfect place to stay in London and information like this is best kept a secret!
From the charming interior with the heavenly scent of fresh flowers, the crisp white linen sheets and little touches like home made cookies in a glass jar with a welcoming note, to the glass of champagne on arrival, this is a hotel that goes out of its way to win your approval and make you feel at home. The bedrooms are immaculate, the bathrooms have beautiful fluffy towels and the beds have the sort of plump mattresses that belong to another age. And the staff, who seem to remember everyone who has ever been to stay before, are friendly, considerate and helpful. they do more that carry your bags, they bring tea to your room, tell you the weather forecast for the next day and ensure you get a taxi in the morning. If you want my advice stay at the Royal Park and ditch every other hotel you have considered in London because this one is exceptionally lovely and worth every penny.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely but the best have a balcony
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
What lovely words and comments!
Thank you ever so much, it means a lot to everyone here at the Royal Park Hotel!
We look forward to having you back with us soon!

Laurent
San Juan Capistrano, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Here's a GREAT hotel that is working out some kinks. It's a short two blocks from Paddington Station, well appointed with lovely rooms, comfortable beds, and with an extremely friendly staff that makes for a warm welcome. The shower was downright torrential. The Continental breakfast at the hotel is tasty with additional for-fee options like scrambled eggs. The afternoon tea is also well done, with loads of fresh scones, tea sandwiches and treats and the best clotted cream from Devon. We were four people, and we ordered three teas, which were more than enough. They often play Gershwin in the lovely dining and sitting areas. The doorman, Tom, paid particular attention to anything we needed, whether it was a taxi, help with luggage up and down the front stairs, or an umbrella.

At the same time, we encountered some unevenness in our stay which keeps us from rating this as highly as we would like. We were four people staying in two rooms for two and three nights; yet, when we arrived it appeared that they had not reserved two rooms together, and the only two adjacent rooms they could give us were 601 and 602, across a hall on the main floor from the dining room. There appeared to have been no forethought to the idea that when one reserves two rooms, thereby paying more as a party than others, one wishes them to be on the same, somewhat quiet floor. Indeed, as people open and close doors on that hall, it creates an air vacuum that "jiggles" the doors to these two rooms, both early in the morning and late at night. On Sunday morning, all but one breakfast table were occupied shortly before breakfast closed at 10:00 am, but the open table had a "reserved" sign on it. We were asked if we had not been told the day before (we had not) that we should reserve a table, and would we like to sit at a coffee table instead. The manager quickly became involved and ensured that we could sit at a real table. After we left, we had an email about an additional charge they were applying, but it was removed after close examination. Our last challenge was with the free wi-fi, which seemed to disconnect our i-devices if we let them go to sleep or removed them from the room. Three of us were carrying both an iPad AND an iPhone, and this was annoying.

All in all, a lovely hotel to which we would return, with a young staff that tries hard, and some simple things to work out or which a guest might avoid with greater attention to detail on the part of both parties.

Room Tip: If reserving two rooms, call two weeks in advance and verify you have two rooms together on a higher...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Royal Park Hotel? Share your experiences!