“Good location & friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #331 of 1,065 Hotels in London
“Good location & friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel was recommended to me by a friend. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The suite I reserved was a two room corner suite that gave me and my family access to the lounge for breakfast and free drinks during the day which was and added value. The Internet access was not complementary.

Location wise it was excellent for the family shopping activities. It's off Oxford St. very close to Selfridges.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

I originally stayed here primarily because its close my office and to Oxford Street but I have to say that over the years I come now for the great value and exceptional service. Everyone here is so helpful and friendly. the rooms can be a little small but this is London ! if you are not happy ask and if they are not full they will always upgrade you. See if you can negotiate Club Access for you roomrate , it is so worth it. The breakfast is great and a glass of wine and hors d'oeuvres at the end of the day is a great way to start your evening.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Pittsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Please read my profile for my biases.

I've gone back and forth on whether or not this hotel rates a strong 4 stars or weak 5 stars. I reserve 5 stars for only the best of the best, and while the London Marriott doesn't instill in me the same fondness as, say, my favorite resort in the South Pacific, I've decided it does deserve 5 stars.

It's the details.

As one might expect from a Marriott in the heart of a major city, the rooms are luxurious and well appointed. What sets this hotel apart is the staff and the attention they give to the guests.

When I checked in, the manager greeted me and even saw me up to my room. While I usually request a king bed, I knew a friend of mine from Southampton might be in town and after a pint or three it would be better if he had a place to sleep instead of taking a long train back home. I was happy to find that my room not only had two beds, but they were doubles instead of the twins I find in most European hotels.

They had also placed some beers in ice and small snacks in the room.

The lounge was on the ground floor, so no view, but the food they offered was way above average. Every night they had a spread of dishes including two hot (at least one vegetarian) and they often had themes, such as Indian or Thai. Next to the elevator they had mini tour guides for walking/running tours near the hotel (see picture). These were the details that won me over.

The location is outstanding, a few blocks from Selfridges. It was a short walk to my office on Baker Street. It's near a number of tube stops and Grosvenor Square is also home to the American embassy (not sure if that is a selling point or not).

One night I went to a presentation at the Royal Institute and the walk took me through the "ghetto" around Bond, Regency and Saville Row. How dare they let an occasional Lexus or Mercedes park amongst the Rolls, Bentleys and Aston Martins?

(grin)

I can't really think of a downside. I was frustrated with the Internet one night (of course that night I needed to run payroll, but I got it sorted) and they do charge a ransom for laundry like most hotels, but the City Centre cleaners a few blocks away on Avery Row did a bang up job in one day for a reasonable price.

Unless it is just too inconvenient, this will become my default London hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here on business Jan 2013. Busy hotel, as you would expect, just off Park Lane and Oxford Street.
My room was a reasonable size but had no carpet, just a tiled floor which gave the room a cold feel to it. I was greeted by a rather large cockroach when entering for the first time...which I didn't expect in a 5 star prestigious hotel such as this. Had room service breakfast which was to a very high standard.
Have stayed in much better West London hotels and paid much less, don't regret staying there but probably won't go back

Room Tip: Ask for one with carpet and away from the lifts...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hanna S, General Manager at Marriott London Grosvenor Square Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Good Afternoon Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor, Your observations and comments are very important to us as the help us improve our performance and service.

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize to you for the incident which occurred during your recent stay with us. We obviously take all such matters extremely seriously and a full inspection was carried out on the day of the incident by our specialist pest control company. In addition, as part of the Marriott family we also adhere to routine stringent checks and controls on all such matters and as a result I can guarantee you we go above and beyond what is normally required in pest control and prevention. We also carry out regular health and safety audits of the premises.

Unfortunately, despite our efforts, the hotel is in parts nearly 100 years old and built above historic London infrastructure such as tube lines, in addition in there are construction works going on under the building and all around the area for the new Cross Rail network which unfortunately has resulted in these insects being disrupted and whilst every effort is being made to prevent these incidents from occurring they unfortunately do happen albeit rarely.

Once again please accept our sincerest apologies, and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Very Best Regards
John Hazard
Florida City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband took me to London for a surprise birthday treat. We have stayed here before with our son a couple of years before. On arrival the staff couldn't do more. We entered the suite and I was breathless, they had decorated the bed with petals and I also had champagne and strawberries. Room was very comfortable and quiet. Everything about this hotel oozes quality and the staff very friendly especially Dan in customer relations. Great location,Selfridges on the corner so you have Oxford Street/Regent street very close. Also tube is also on your doorstep. We will be staying again sometime in the future. The leisure facility was closed as it was been moved to bigger premises.

Room Tip: Any room would be suitable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am a regular guest to the Marriott hotels and really love their beds. This hotel is one out of three in London although it is a J W Marriott. Service is impeccable and staff is very friendly and professionel. The concept of the J W Marriott in London seems to include bringing back memories from a time long gone. The bathroom is very early 19th Century style and I guess that a lot of people will be likning just that. Personally it is not my preference.

Will I be returning - I guess not. The other two Marriott hotels are not that far away and is more to my liking. That said though the J W Marriott is a very fine hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Flower Mound, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights!! The rooms are spacious and clean. Comfortable beds, provided USA standard outlets. We only travelled with one adaptor, pleasantly surprised we were able to charge multiple electronic equipment.
Overall excellent hotel. The Marble Arch tube station is a short 7 minute walk from the hotel, Hyde Park is across the street. Mayfair is a beautiful subdivision to walk through.

Room Tip: We had a room facing out towards Hyde Park, we could see all the lights from the Winter Wonderland!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marriott London Grosvenor Square Hotel? Share your experiences!