“Four-star, maybe not, but a decent place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN The Cromwell

You added BEST WESTERN The Cromwell to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN The Cromwell
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110-112 Cromwell Road, Kensington, London SW7 4ES, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #561 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Four-star, maybe not, but a decent place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Five minutes walk to the Tube and the 47 bus just outside the door gives location a +++. Several shops in the area including a Sainsbury and many small restaurants is also very positive.
The hotel has many small winding staircases and narrow corridors. The elevator doesn't reach the 5th floor. A fire would be devastating ! The room was small with very little floorspace but had what you need and with good quality. Nice bathroom, mine had a big crack in the washbasin. No bathtub but a nice shower with lots of hot water with good pressure ( 5th floor).
In the receptionarea there is a small lounge with a bar for snacks and drinks.
A full English breakfast was served in the basement. Good supply of whatever you might need.
Check-out is at 11 am. This is early. When asked if a late check-out was possible the Spanish guy at reception said OK but it costs 25£ per hour !! Most hotels would grant you at least an hour, unless they are very tight with bookings and clean-ups.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Nichola R, Manager at BEST WESTERN The Cromwell, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback of your recent stay at the Best Western The Cromwell hotel, I am pleased to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you found the location of the hotel and the facilities within the local area to be well suited for your requirements and that the bus stop outside the front of the property provided you with a convenient link to the city centre.

It is true that there are a number of corridors and stairwells within our the hotel as our property consist of three interconnected buildings however I believe that this adds to the character of the property as a Victorian era hotel. I can assure you that you have no reason to be concerned with regards to the fire safety in the hotel as we have been approved by the building authorities and fire inspector during our 2007 refurbishment.

I am sorry to hear that there had been an issue with the sink in your room and I will have our maintenance team investigate this further and replace the entire unit if need be. Whit regards to the late checkout fee this is subject to availability and as our hotel runs on a high occupancy there are certain days when these requests cannot be meet however I will still take your feedback of a 12h00 complimentary check out under consideration as this is something we may be able to do to enhance our service.

We do look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Acting General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
strathmore alberta canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Pros: Great location, very close to Gloucester Rd tube station. Friendly staff. Clean room and premises. Comfortable bed. Nice large flat screen television mounted on wall. Modestly priced (for London). Good restaurants nearby.

Cons: Room was very small, as was the window, our floor was likely an attic space before it became a hotel. The bathroom was very nice and modern, however the shower water could have been a few degrees hotter.

Room Tip: Top floor room was very small, with an angled ceiling on one side, making it even smaller. The windo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete such a detailed review of your recent stay at our hotel, I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I would like to thank you for the wonderful feedback you have provided with regards to the cleanliness and comfort of the room and I was delighted to read that the location of our property was ideal for your day to day travel requirements.

I am sorry to there that you found your room to be smaller than expected however as our hotel is comprised of 3 interconnected buildings the size and style of a rooms can vary ever so slightly. I was however pleased that you found the bathroom to be modern and to your liking.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dundee, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I don't mind a small hotel room, but it would be nice if you could close the bathroom door without moving the bed. Also had to wait ages to check out because the staff were busy checking people in four hours early.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir

Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay at our hotel, I am disappointed to read that on this occasion your stay with us was not an enjoyable one.

I was sorry to hear that the size of your room did not meet your expectations and that you had to wait longer than expected to check out as our front office team were assisting other guest with check-in. I will use your feedback as a training tool during our next team meeting to ensure that departure guests are given priority during the early morning checkout times.

Yakima, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Pictures on hotel websites are selected on what looks best, however, they choose the largest room in a certain category for photo purposes. Traveling alone and used to sleeping in a king size bed at home, I upgraded from a single bed to a double bed. The room itself was probably no larger than 1.5 feet all around the bed. Bed was comfortable. Pillows were comfortable. No drawers for placing clothes. Closet was small. Safe was on the floor and you would have to lie on the floor to dial in your combination. Bathroom was beautifully re-done with nice fixtures and tile. Shower only in my room. After lots of walking and tired legs, I was hoping for a soaking tub too. NO washcloths available for the bathroom. ?? What??!! I've never heard of such a thing. The location was fabulous. Street noise from Cromwell did not bother me at all. I love looking out at the traffic but the only place to sit in the room was on the bed, unless you sat at the desk with a desk chair. 1/2 block from Gloucester Tube Station. Walking distance to Kensington Palace and lots of other wonderful neighborhood sites. I thought the breakfast in the hotel was very overpriced and usually ate at other local restaurants, which was actually kind of fun. Starbucks is across from the Tube Station. I love this neighborhood and feel safe as a solo traveler. I spend a lot of time in my room when I want to rest my legs so wish there was a comfy chair and more space. Two people would NOT have survived in this space.
On the same block is a post office/souvenir type store which also features a "tour" desk where you can learn about various bus tours in the area. Tour buses picked up right next door and dropped off there also. VERY convenient. Also, the Hop On Hop Off buses are available at the Gloucester Tube Station. The neighborhood is ideal!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with space to walk around and for a leisure chair.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Nichola R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Cromwell, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. All feedback given to us by our guests is passed on to my team on a daily basis.

Due to the layout of the property our room size does vary. The majority of our bathrooms do have showers, however if a bath is preferred please make a request at the time of booking and a note can be made in the reservation. Face clothes and additional toiletries are available from the reception desk 24 hours.

Our location in the heart of Kensington is perfect for both the business traveller and tourist. We are excellently located in terms of tourist attractions, transport methods, restaurants and bars.

I do hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the very near future.

Cardiff, Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed in a twin room at this hotel, our room wasn't ready when we arrived, however the person at the check-in desk was happy to move our reservation to a twin room that was ready so we could go straight up. The room was not large, but still pretty adequate compared to a lot of hotel rooms I've stayed in within London (London rooms can generally be tiny unless you spend a fortune). Everything was spotless so that was also good. Heated radiator for your towel in the bathroom, shower over bath combo. Flat screen tv in the room, desk and sufficient mirrors. This hotel didnt blow me away, but it ticks all the boxes for everything you need, its priced fairly and so I am likely to stay here again. We didnt have breakfast here, so cannot comment on the food. Only round the corner to the tube station and cafes/pub.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and found our rooms clean, team friendly and our location to be suitable to your needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Cromwell for 2 nights in march 2013 whilst on a course in central London. The hotel was centrally located, easy to find and the staff were very friendly. The waiting staff at breakfast especially helpful.
As a line female travelling for work I always am a little nervous about security but I felt so safe in my little room. I stayed on the top floor in a attic style room with eaves. The room was well appointment with clean linen and a cOmfy bed. The bathroom was superb with a handheld style and rain style shower. The room had a little entrance area so my bedroom door didn't open directly onto the corridor which meant I didn't hear a peep both nights.

Would highly recommend

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and it is particularly rewarding for us to receive such positive feedback. It will be a pleasure for me to share your comments with the entire team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Take care,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here for the first time in March 2013 and was pleased overall with the place. The location is good for me, rooms clean and accessible, breakfast good and the WiFi works. I'm most interested in the friendliness of staff and in that regard the hotel was good. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Nichola R, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Cromwell, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your experience with us.

It was also an absolute pleasure to hear that all our staff contributed to ensure that you had a memorable experience with us and that you found breakfast and Housekeeping service to be of a high standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Nicki

Been to BEST WESTERN The Cromwell? Share your experiences!