“Good hotel. great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington

You added Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington to your Saves list
Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Scarsdale Place, Kensington, London W8 5SR, England (South Kensington)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #505 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Good hotel. great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed at hotel for two nights. After reading some rather negative reviews, was a little worried on what to expect. We had a room on the top floor with fantastic views over London. The room was comfortable and clean, starting to look a little tired, but still ok. The breakfast was very good, about the best we have experienced while staying in London. The reception area was quite impressive and the staff very friendly and helpful. I would certainly recommend this hotel as it was excellent value, and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Book a club room. We had a fantastic view from ours.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Shahida S, PA to Cluster General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest

I am so happy to see that although you were wary of what to expect before arrival at the Hotel, you were surprised what we offered at the hotel was more and beyond what you expected and all was suitable to your needs. I am pleased that we were successful in what we strive to achieve i.e. providing an excellent service with every effort and intention of pleasing all our guests, and our high quality standard and excellent customer services which was evident in your case and you had a memorable stay. Your compliments are well received by our Management Team and Staff with grateful thanks.

Thank you for your recommendation to all travellers that you you stay here again and we look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit London.

Look forward to welcoming back to the Copthorne Tara on your next visit to London.

Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (867)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed there for almost 2 weeks. Stayed in 2 connecting rooms on the 5th floor, then went out of London for a night. Was initially told that they would give us the same room but then they gave us 2 rooms on the 7th floor after we came back from our "out of London" trip.

Called the hotel and booked the "Ask Alfred" package for the kids and was asked to give the names of my kids so that they could have their names printed on the robes. But when we got there, they explained that they don't have the full package; they didn't have the robes (the staff explained that the other Millennium hotels have it but not this one.)

Different standards in housekeeping : The rooms on the 5th floor comes with only soap, shampoo and shower gel. The rooms on the 7th floor comes with soap, shampoo, shower gel, sanitary bag, shower cap. However, the chamber maid threw away the shower cap on Day 8 and didn't replace it. Also, they do not empty the bins everyday.

Other bad experiences :
1. When I called the front desk and housekeeping no., no one picked up the call.

2. The waiting time for lifts is too long.

The only plus point is that Bugis Street restaurant serves Singapore food.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. I apologise for the mis-information given to you in regards to the Ask Alfred promotional package available at the Copthorne Tara Hotel. As advertised on our website the Ask Alfred Silver Package includes 1 Hamleys Teddy Bear, 1 Ask Alfred backpack, 1 ice cream and 1 parent’s survival guidebook at a price of £10.99 inclusive of VAT. You will notice that children’s robes are not included and are not offered as these are not stocked at the hotel. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused through this misunderstanding.

In terms of the inconsistency of the amenities and services in the rooms, once again I apologise and have referred your concerns to our Executive Housekeeper to follow-up and take action to address so that this is not repeated in future. Again please accept our sincere apologies.

Your feedback is valuable and I thank you for making us aware of these matters so that we can take action to address these appropriately and also enables us to maintain our high quality standard to ensure our guests comforts.

I hope you will reconsider and choose Copthorne Tara for your next visit so that we can take the opportunity to assure you of our best attention to your needs.

Look forward to welcoming you.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights with my husband. It was not what I was expecting at all. The hotel reception area itself is actually quite nice with a buzzing atmosphere. However upon arriving to our room, it's an absolute nightmare. I would probably go as far as to say it is one of the dirtiest hotel rooms I have come across, not to mention the horrid stains all over the walls and the filthy toilet which included a wonderful door knob which was hanging off the door which meant it was hard to close the door from the inside in fear that we would get locked in. The curtains were not long enough to block the light coming in . The decor was tatty and the bath plug hole was absolutely black with dirt. This hotel could definitely benefit from a serious overhaul. How is this a 4 star hotel?!!crazy! Save your money and go somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed feedback as this assists us with our ongoing project of in-house redecoration. We endeavour to provide good services and facilities with every intention of pleasing all our guests. We always ensure our rooms are maintained well, clean and comfortable and make every effort to ensure our guests are not inconvenienced by this project.

Our Maintenance Manager and Executive Housekeeper is investigating the concerns you listed and will address these appropriately to ensure such conditions in the room are maintained to our high quality standard that is expected. I apologise that you were inconvenienced and I hope you will return so that we can make amends and also to give us the opportunity to show you how we are progressing with this project to ensure your comforts during your stay.

Look forward to your next visit.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

As my friend put it after our stay, this is a 3 star hotel trying (badly) to be a 4 star. Our room was dated but comfortable enough for 1 night. The breakfast was really disappointing - normal help yourself hotel fare, cereals, fruit, very limited choice of cold meats and cheese, and very ordinary cooked offerings of bland sausages and bacon. And the scrambled eggs were notable by their pretty disgusting taste. The staff, were ok but contact was limited to check in - check out. However a great location yards from the Kensington High St and the Tube. This was a deal we got for £98 with breakfast so the value for us was great for central London, but not a luxury stay by any means.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

I am pleased that you found the hotel great value suitable to your needs and although you have listed some concerns overall you had an enjoyable stay and the hotel provided all suitable to your needs. I have referred your comments in terms of your breakfast experience to our F&B Manager to review for future improvements of our breakfast presentation. Thank you for your feedback as this makes us aware and assists us to maintain our quality going forward.

You will be happy to hear, we are currently working on in-house redecoration and your feedback in regards to the condition of the room assists us with this ongoing project for future improvements. I apologise that you were affected by this project during your stay, and I can assure you this will not happen again in future.

I hope you will return in the near future so that we can show you how we are progressing with improvements with this ongoing project, and with this in mind to give us the opportunity of ensuring you have a memorable stay.
We look forward to welcoming you.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We have stayed here many times and always try to get a club room. This provides access to the club lounge, free internet and other benefits. The staff are always friendly and the Singapore restaurant, Bugis Street is my favourite anywhere. It reminds me of the days long ago when I lived in Singapore. The food is excellent and the staff are always pleasant and helpful. The location is also excellent, with London buses and the underground system very close to the hotel. I have read some negative views which surprises me because I have never experienced any problems on any of my stays.

Room Tip: Club rooms are on the highest floors and offer excellent views of London particularly from the east...
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. It is pleasing to see that overall you had an enjoyable stay and that as a regular guest you have never experienced any problems during your stay. In fact on each occasion we have maintained consistency with our high quality standard and achieved our excellence in all areas of services and facilities all to your satisfaction. Thank you for your recommendation to all travellers to London that Copthorne Tara is a good choice to stay at in the area.

I am sure you will be visiting us again in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked using a maestro card through booking.com and got a confirmation that the booking made and given that I've never had any trouble before I though it was fine. The hotel called me up the day before we left for our trip saying they do not accept it and if we do not pay they will cancel our room. They said I could pay be card on arrival and they told me that it was not allowed by Maestro card, feeling embarrassed I had to count out in cash then had to watch staff twice check my money with the counterfit pen when I had twice tried to pay. To top it off the booklet in the tiny room said they do accept that card! Would never stay here again and would recommend others to choose from other hotels close by as this one looks nothing like their website and its really run down looking from the outside. Another dissappointment when you turn the corner expecting to see a really nice building.

Room Tip: Do not book if its warm as the Air Con is very loud and you are unable to open the windows.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shahida S, PA to Cluster General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to send in your review and for making us aware of the incident that you encountered when making payment for your reservation. My sincere apologies for the unacceptable way in which our staff interacted with you and for making you feel embarrassed.

Firstly, for information only UK Maestro cards is accepted for payment and for some unknown reason the systems do not accept international Maestro cards. This seems to be a bank system that is beyond our control. In your case you do have a valid UK Maestro card and once again my apologies for the misunderstanding and behaviour of our staff member and the negative way in which this was handled.

I have referred your review to our Management Team for investigation and follow up action to be taken to ensure such incidents are not repeated in the future. Our Operations Manager has personally sent apologies to you and informed me that appropriate action has been taken to address this incident with the relevant staff member. Also you will be happy to know that staff retraining is conducted more regularly so all are well informed of the systems we have in place at the hotel. This will be monitored ongoing to ensure we maintain our high quality standard of customer services assuring our guests an excellent service at all times.

Secondly, your concerns in regard to the conditions of the hotel is valuable and taken seriously as it assists our Management Team to review for our future improvements at the hotel, especially that we are currently working on in-house redecoration which is an ongoing project.

I hope you will revisit us in the near future so that we can take the opportunity of showing you the new improvements as we progress with this project and also to restore your confidence in our services and facilities.

On this positive note, I wish to extend to you a warm welcome back to the hotel when you next visit London and trust it will be soon.

Howden, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and could immediately see why sites only show the glass entrance - basicallt it is a very ugly building! Weleft our luggage as check in wasn't for another 2 hours and on our return we were told our room could be another 2 hours unless we go on a different floor but were assured that the room was the same - so we thought ok! The room was very small with a double bed and extremely tired décor and the furniture was in a pretty bad way too .My partner returned to reception and we were given a room that was just as tired as it had exposed holes in the walls where raw plugs had been and crudely filled but we had a king size bed which was much better.
The food was ok and public areas were very nice but we really felt let down by the standard of the room compared to a room we had in another London Copthorne Hotel.

One final little gripe are that the pillows are so uncomfortable - come on Copthorne get your act together!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shahida S, PA to Cluster General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed review. I am disappointed that you left the hotel with a discontented feeling and thank you for making us aware of your concerns. Your feedback is valuable as it helps us to address the issues at hand and assists with future improvements. I am sorry that the condition in the room was not satisfactory and I have referred your comments to our Management Team for their review and to address and take appropriate action to maintain our high quality standards so as not to inconvenience our guests going forward. We are currently working on in-house redecoration and your feedback also assists us with this ongoing project for future improvements.

I hope you will return to visit us in the near future for you to see how we are progressing with our project and to give us the opportunity of restoring your confidence in our services and facilities. We do strive to offer the best possible product to our guests with every effort and intention of pleasing all our guests to ensure their comfort and memorable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely

Been to Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington? Share your experiences!