“Functional and an excellent location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington

You added Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington to your Saves list
Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Scarsdale Place, Kensington, London W8 5SR, England (South Kensington)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #503 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Chipping Norton, United Kingdom
“Functional and an excellent location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Good sleepover spot when working down this neck of the woods. Wouldn't like to stay here for pleasure. Food nothing special but a handy if small underground car park which is handy. Surely that's two hundred characters now???

• Stayed November 2012
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write in your feedback with regards to your recent visit to the Copthorne Tara Hotel. I am happy to read that the hotel is well located in the area and satisfactory to your needs.

Our Management and Staff take pride in the high level quality customer services we provide to our guests with the best intentions of pleasing our guests, and the points you raised assists us to improving these ongoing.

We trust you will be visiting Copthorne Tara soon when you next visit London, and take the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (868)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
northumberland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

just returned from a 3 day break in London and through superbreaks booked a return visit to this hotel.Official rating is a 4star hotel, personally I would rate it a good 3 star hotel as most of the Hotel needs a bit updating, saying that it does what is says, bed was comfortable, its quiet, breakfast was adequate, all staff that we had contact with were very courteous.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback and despite having an overall pleasant stay you raised a few points of concern that was not to your satisfaction. Your feedback is taken seriously and communicated to the Management Team to ensure we take action to continuously improve and maintain consistency our standard of services and facilities ongoing so that such problems do not occur in the future.

Your positive comment with regards to our staff being courteous was received with great thanks.

In terms of your comments that the hotel needs updating, I wish to advise the standard of the hotel is graded regularly and we do maintain the high quality standard that is required for a 4 star hotel. However, I wish to inform that we are currently working on in-house redecoration as we continue to monitor our guest feedback to assist us to continue improving the services and facilities going forward.

Should you require any future assistance with facilitating your hotel arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me direct and I will be happy to assist with your special arrangements.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Shropshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I am a frequent business traveller to London and stay in many hotels on a weekly basis. I looked on the internet and pictures looked good with an impressive lobby & reception area, also the chain has a god brand name and reputation. Unfortunately I was a little dissapointed in the stay as although the reception area was lovely the room was quite poor.The room was a good size but very tired, the decor was dated and cupboards were falling apart. The heating/aircon system was dated and could not get the room to a comfortable temperature so the room was too warm and I did not get a good night sleep.The bathroom has everything you need but again very tired. This could be a great hotel but needs some investment to bring up to date and up to a standard you expect from this sort of hotel. I will not be staying at htis hotel again and would not recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your recent review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the problems you experienced with the Air conditioning unit in your room during your stay. I apologise for the discomfort you experienced, and it is a pity that this problem was not notified to our Duty Manager during you stay, as we would have endeavoured to rectify immediately to ensure your comfort for the duration of your stay. However, I have notified our Maintenance Manager and Executive Housekeeper the issues you raised for action to be taken to ensure these problems do not reoccur in the future.

I wish to advise that we are currently working on in-house redecoration as we continue to monitor our guest feedback to assist us in improving the services and facilities we provide to our guests going forward, and I am sure you can understand the dilemma we have as a large hotel such as Copthorne Tara, the project takes time and is progressing ongoing, therefore I do apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay.

I hope you will return to the Copthorne Tara in the near future to give us the opportunity of ensuring you have a comfortable and pleasant stay, and look forward to welcoming you back.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Tara is an older hotel and in some areas it shows. Plugs for charging phones/laptops not very easy to find and bathroom quite old feeling. Breakfast was ok with very attentive staff. We had a real problem finding it with sat nav-might have been us but this postcode sends you somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent visit to the Copthorne Tara Hotel.

Your feedback received both positive and negative, is taken constructively and communicated to the Management Team for their review and a full investigation and necessary action is carried out to ensure improvements are made to maintain our high level standard of customer services and facilities in the future.

I wish to advise that we are currently working on in-house redecoration as we continue to monitor our guest feedback to assist us in improving the services and facilities we provide to our guests going forward.

In terms of your query of the hotel’s postcode, please be advised The Copthorne Tara Hotel’s postcode is W8 5SR and is regularly used by our guests. To date we have not received other complaints, and though this may have caused some frustration, unfortunately I can’t comment on the facilities used on Google maps.

We do hope you will visit us on your next trip to London, and take the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Terrible: We booked a double room but were given a twin; the receptionist said it was a 'superior twin'; if this was the case I'd hate to see what a standard twin room was like. The beds were tiny, narrow, with hard uncomfortable sheets & small, thin, lumpy pillows. The bathroom was dated, slightly grubby, & poor, the air con positively prehistoric, the general decor was incredibly dated & nothing like what you would expect a 4 star hotel to provide. We asked the receptionist to see if there was a double room available, however she said none were free, which I find hard to believe considering the hotel has 12 floors. She also implied that it was our fault that we'd been given a twin room because we booked through a third party (having looked at other reviews of this hotel it seems that this is a regular occurrence so beware) I get the impression that this hotel was seen as popular & luxurious in the 70s & 80s & arrogantly doesn't believe that it needs to update. The staff are snobby & act as though they're doing you a favour by letting you stay there, when in actual fact you pay an extortionate amount to stay in a hotel which in no way lives up to its 4 stars. This hotel is NOT a 4 star hotel. The best thing that I can say about it is that it is well located for access to Kensington, however I will most definitely not be staying again.

Room Tip: If you book through a third party website be aware that you will probably be given a twin bedded roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write in your feedback.

Reading all the points you raised, I wish to apologise for the shortfalls that you encountered with unsatisfactory interactions with our staff and the room conditions on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara.

Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. As this is not the normal situation, it is important that we get feedback such as yours, to assist us to take action to improve our services and facilities, and to ensure these are not repeated in future. I have forwarded the details that you have pointed out to our Management Team to their review and to take action. They assure me that retraining of our staff is conducted regularly and that maintenance issues are monitored daily to maintain our high standard of services and facilities going forward.

I hope this will not deter you from returning to the Copthorne Tara in the future, and wish to offer my assistance for your future bookings when you next visit London, so that we can take the opportunity to ensure you have a comfortable enjoyable stay.

Please do not hesitate to contact me direct and look forward to welcoming you back.

Marbella, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed in the the Tara hotel midweek for four nights in November and paid £153.00 per night without breakfast. The hotel is quite welcoming and the reception staff helpful. I was room only and was asked if I would like breakfast during my stay which I think was about £17. After declining i was promptly given vouchers which offered full english breakfast for £10 which was much better value, particularly as I don't eat much at breakfast anyway.
I was joined by a colleague for one night who had booked a club room for the same price of £150, which included breakfast and access to the club lounge which offers free snacks and drinks, so it does pay to shop around outside of the hotels own website.
The double bedroom was clean and a reasonable size with tea and coffee making facilities. Perhaps a little tired and dated, but ok. There were no movie channels and internet was an extra £10 a day which I think may also have been included in club... grrr.
I didn't use the gym but think that there is one. Kensington High Street and the tube are a 2 minute walk away.
Overall, there are probably better hotels, but if you like the secure feel of a large as opposed to boutique hotel in Kensington for relatively reasonable central London rates then the Tara is an acceptable choice.

Room Tip: Shop around for the best rate - club package is good and can be found for the same rate as the hotel...
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing in to TripAdvisor regarding your recent visit to the Copthorne Tara hotel and that you have recommended the hotel to readers and also your comment that the hotel has a secure feel for the comfort of our guests. Your feedback is important and taken seriously as these assist us in improving our services and facilities going forward.

I have communicated the detailed points your raised to our Management Team for their review and necessary action to be taken appropriately to enable us to continue improving and to maintain our high level standards. We appreciate your time taken to send in these details.

However, I am happy that overall you had a pleasant stay and wish to take the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Copthorne Tara Hotel in the near future.

Bournemouth England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have always stayed in a Club room before. However, a last minute booking last weekend saw us in a normal room. Was surprised to find there was no free wi-fi anywhere in the hotel. The bathroom was a bit dated. Bedroom was the same, just on a lower floor.
Did miss not being able to use the club lounge for coffee anytime and the wine and free wi-fi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I wish to thank you for the time you have taken to share your feedback and I assure you that although some of the rooms appear dated, they are clean, comfortable and we always try to provide the best possible services and facilities to our guests. Feedback such as yours is important as the points you raise assists us to take action to improve as we continually are working on in house re-decoration.

In terms of WIFI options, although complaints of this nature are far and few between, please be advised our tariffs are in line with hotels of a similar standard , although as you mentioned, the WIFI option is free if booked in a Club room.

However, I have noted your concerns and have forwarded to our Management Team for their review. Your feedback negative and positive is valuable to us to enable us to rectify and to improve our services and facilities going forward.

I trust this will not deter you from visiting the Tara again and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Been to Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington? Share your experiences!