“Over priced everything but good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington

You added Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington to your Saves list
Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Scarsdale Place, Kensington, London W8 5SR, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #519 of 1,066 Hotels in London
flimgirl21
“Over priced everything but good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

I got this hotel using priceline (which claims it is 4 star, when almost every other site says 31/2) for $99 which I was really happy about for London. The hotels website listed 99 pounds which would have been double. However, I almost ending up paying that much anyway, and here is my biggest complaint about this hotel:
Internet in your room was 20 pounds a night!!! That's right, $40!!!!!! So I ending up upgrading my room to a corporate room for 40 pounds per night which gave me free internet and breakfast in the private lounge which was quite pleasant.

The location is in a pleasant shopping area in Kensington, and one block from the subway which is really nice. The rooms were clean and comfortable, but nothing exciting. I basically would recommend this hotel only if you get a great deal. And I suppose for London, I probably did.

• Liked — Near a subway, quiet nice less crowded area of London
  • Disliked — Way overpriced internet and amenities.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

Booked via BAHolidays.com. I usually stay at a 4 or 5 star hotel for some of my holidays and a good cheaper hotel for another few days. I chose this as the good cheaper hotel in 2004 and was happy with it so despite some disappointing reviews chose to stay again for New Year's Eve 2007and New Year's day 2008. Again I was not disappointed. It does not pretend to be a top London hotel. It is an honest, well located, good value for money hotel. This is London folks and given the amount of seriously horrid hotels in worse locations for the same cost or more in many instances you could not do much better. Yes, the bathroom in my room was tired with pannelling from the 70's, but the water pressure and temperature was great, the bedroom size was reasonable, the linen good, the double glazing muted the train noise very well and the staff were courteous and efficient. The continental breakfast was very satisfactory and the location really convenient with High Street Ken tube a couple of minutes away and easy access to all parts of inner London. I tried a different hotel as my cheaper selection a couple of years ago, a mistake I will not repeat. The Copthorne Tara will do me!!!

• Liked — Honest, unpretentious value for money and location
  • Disliked — For what it cost, nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
merseyside
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2008

Stayed here 4 nights through work. Second floor large room, advanced lighting switch system which worked very well. Powerful a/c which allowed me to dry my soaking clothes after I was caught in a shower very easily. Only downside whole side of the hotel does back onto district/circle tube line which even with secondary double glazing can be disturbing if light sleeper , as trains run till about 12.30am. Water pressure very high - so high in fact shower was slightly too much of a power shower! Decor slightly dated but excellent bed linen/towels. Breakfast very satisfactory, continental had good selection and english was fresh and tasty. - TV had 5 channels plus couple of digital which seems to be typical for central london. This hotel is genuine 4* luxury, with excellent High St Ken location. Downsides? Tube noise and they charge a fiver to use the fitness room. Don't know what it's like - don't pay it! go for a run in nearby Kensington Palace Gardens/Hyde Park (if it ever stops bloody raining!)

• Liked — Room size and general quality & location
  • Disliked — Tube noise
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

I was booked into this hotel through work and was a bit apprehensive given some of the reviews, but I had a very nice stay.

The hotel is about 3 minutes walk from the tube (exit tube station, turn left and left again), set back from Kensington High Street. There are a number of big name shops and a couple of Express supermarkets nearby. The area seemed fine and I had no problems even when I got back to the hotel relatively late.

I rang up the day before and asked for a room that didn't face the tube, and this was done. It was a good size, a little dated but clean and well equipped. There was a fridge in the room (not a mini bar) and this was also useful. Although I was concerned about having a room directly outside the lifts, thinking the doors banking and people talking would disturb me I heard nothing as the doors were semi mechanic and shut quietly. The shower was fantastic.

I didn't have a cooked breakfast but the continental spread was really good and the service very quick. Coffee was horrid though!

All staff were pleasant and I would happily stay there again, both for the location and the amenities and for either business or leisure.

• Liked — Powerful shower, good location
  • Disliked — Slightly dated decor and furnishings
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

We travelled to London on the train and then hoped onto the tube. I was amazed how close the tube station was. I have stayed in many different hotels in London which are usually at good 10-15 minutes walk but this was perfect. We arrived at the Copthorne at about 12 and guessed our room would not be ready so where prepared, however on arrival we where allowed to check-in straight away!! We went up to our room and it was as we expected clean and straight out of a copthorne brochure (as they all are!). We where very happy with the accomodation and easy tube links. The hotel has a nice shop where you can buy all the snacks, drinks etc you need and the breakfast was superb. We travelled to London for my 30th birthday and it didn't dissapoint. We had a very scary (if you don''t like hights!) Champagne 'flight' on the London eye and also watched' We will rock you' and 'Footlose' at the theatre. Both of which where excellent however Footlose was my favourite. I will definetly be visiting London again and will certainly stay at the Tara.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2008

For the price paid via Priceline, this is an excellent hotel in an excellent location. The furniture was a bit worn but the beds were comfy and the room was quite clean with all the normal amenities: restaurant, room service, cable TV, toiletries, etc.

I was Very happy to stay here. It's less than 5 minutes to the High Street tube station which has a Pret, M&S, Boots and more on the entrance. Nearby is also a Tesco, and Whole Foods for sandwiches and items for a continental breakfast that can be stored in the small refrigerator in each room. There are plenty of places to eat nearby and we even found a place within 10 min. walk to do laundry. Very economical (w/Priceline)- but still has the option of room service, very amiable, professional check-in and concierge personnel, and ample taxis just outside if you need them. It was perfect for us as budget travelers looking for a bit of comfort and a central location.

• Liked — Location; refrigerator
  • Disliked — Aging furniture
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Windsor, Berkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

I booked this hotel with my boyfriend for a stay on New Years Eve 2007. I arrived at the hotel at around 3:30pm as I was told that I would be allowed to check in at 3pm. I was not allowed in the room until 4pm as they couldn't find a non smoking room. Very disappointing considering the amount of money I have paid for this room.

My New Years eve celebrations were great outside the hotel, but unfortunately upon leaving the hotel I had discovered that I had left an expensive bottle of champagne in the fridge in my room. I immediately phoned up the hotel and they advised me that the bottle of champagne was not there and that housekeeping had never seen it.

On conclusion, it would appear that their housekeeping staff have taken my bottle of champagne and not owned up to it to management for fear of loosing their job. Understandable, but not particularly great customer service don't you think? Meanwhile I go without my bottle of champagne and the housekeeper has a particularly festive new year with a free bottle of champagne courtesy of myself. Thanks Copthorne, needless to say I will NEVER be checking into your hotel again and my company will NEVER use your hotel again.

Stayed December 2007

Been to Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington? Share your experiences!