“Very individual and sophisticated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blakes Hotel

You added Blakes Hotel to your Saves list
Blakes Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Roland Gardens, London SW7 3PF, England (Earls Court)   |
Ranked #294 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Very individual and sophisticated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

What a lovely place in the middle of Kensington. You very much feel like being at home.
It is not only the cosy decoration, it is the very personal "taking care for you".

Everybody in the hotel is focused on letting you feel good. The prices are quite reasonable and the service is great. We enjoyed an early dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and besides a very friendly and caring service the food was absolutely delicious. In every detail you realize that somebody had thought in advance about how you would feel best.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Vielen Dank for your great review, thank you for spreading the word!

We have lots to improve on and will not Give Up until the work is done.
Never a dull day at Blakes!
Julian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Turkish first
Yerevan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I love London, but what I love most about London is BLAKES Hotel in Roland Gardens.
When I need an escape that invigorates to the senses in an urban setting that is also civilized, I sneak off to BLAKES to get my fix. The staff is super friendly and professional. They really go out of their way to get you what you need and want as quickly and efficiently as possible. The concierge suggestions are FANTASTIC and always just right. The atmosphere is sublime, designed to the hilt and very very heady-- like a giant bottle of OPIUM perfume! The whole experience of a stay there feels like a visit to Jeanie's (as in Barbara Eden's Jeanie) bottle.... I've stayed there at least a dozen times and each time I've been lucky enough to stay in a different room -- each time I declare that this room is my favorite, only to declare the same about the next visit's room! The menu and the food are both wonderful and superb, whether it's downstairs in the subterranean restaurant, or you choose the in room dining, it's always a first rate dining experience.
I have never been there with my family, but I can only imagine how the staff would cater to each child's every whim, as they, in turn would drift off into imaginary adventures inspired by Blakes exotic atmosphere!

Room Tip: regardless of what room you get, your senses will be tickled by the little details in the design.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Wow, we are not worthy, Fantastic review and am so glad that we are able to look after you so well.
Looking forward to welcoming you back Home!
Oxted, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

What a decadent, relaxing and buzzing hotel...all at once! great staff and service, delicious breakfast and great evening drinks in the bar. Highly recommend Blakes for a central London stay, close to the important shops and restaurants and a haven of luxury.

Room Tip: Ask hotel for guidance as each room very different
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. As you say each room is different and tells a different story, all based on Anoushka Hempel's travels around the globe.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

It pains me to write this as Blakes has been on my wish list for some while now and no one was more excited than me, to finally be staying there.

The hotel is decadently opulent, dark and sultry. There is a sense of stepping back in time which is q seductive. We stayed mid week and were informed the hotel was at about 80% occupancy. When we arrived there was no sign of a porter. We had agreed to leave our car at the hotel and so my husband left me with the car whilst he went in to check in with the receptionist. I remained outside in the freezing cold for a good 5-10 minutes before decoding to see what was taking my husband so long. The receptionist was on the phone, she hadn't yet greeted my husband at any stage and the call seemed to be either personal or to a supplier.

When the all ended we were then promptly checked in and a friendly porter assisted me with my car and luggage. however we were given no information about the hotels facilities, what time breakfast is served to or where the restaurant/bar could be found.

We arrived at our room, the Emperor Bed room, and first impressions were wow. This is what we came for. My husband had pre-arranged champagne and truffles upon arrival but neither were present in our room. 20 minutes later my husband rang down to enquire and they then delivered to our room.

We arrived at lunchtime so decided to venture down to reception and enquire about dining options. I presented my Exclusive Hotels - Design Resturants membership card (of which Blakes participates, according to the Scheme). The receptionist was none the wiser. I was then asked to show the restaurant mgr who was also clueless. By now we were beginning to feel a little embarrassed rather than members of an exclusive hotel scheme. The restaurant mgr was polite at all times and upon displaying Blakes membership on the web promptly assisted us. However, staff should be aware of these things. It was mentioned that there had been a change in marketing mgr recently.

At both lunch and breakfast times we had to wait for a member of staff to greet us. On both occasions we entered an empty restaurant.

Upon closer examination our room was looking a little tired. Electrical cabling and plug sockets were pulled from the wall exposing wires and dust. The cables bound together with black tape and rather precariously balanced on a bedside table. Not exactly in keeping with the boutique look. The upholstery on both the sofa and several curtains were torn,quite badly, in a number of places. Paintwork is peeling and flaking on bathroom ceiling.

In an attempt to dry my hair with a hair dryer, no socket could be found within reach of a mirror. So I called down and they kindly offered either a mirror or an extension socket. An extension socket was delivered to our room but was filthy.

Upon returning to the hotel at night we visited the bar. No issues here - a peasant subterranean atmosphere beneath ground level.

On a positive note the bed was by far the most comfortable I think I have ever slept in. There was little noise either from within the hotel or outside, which is q uncommon for London. The hotel is situated in a lovely quiet area and stands q proud on the corner of Roland Gardens.

Sadly, upon leaving the hotel we were met with more inefficiencies. At breakfast, we were brought toast and warm pastries. However, no butter. The only member of staff disappeared for a further 5 minutes before reappearing briefly where we had to request it. By this time the toast was cold. My husband had booked a b&b rate and enquired with waiting staff what on the menu was covered. The member of staff did not know and had to ask someone else who came over to explain. We were the only people dining at this time. However the breakfast was very nice.

Checking out, for us, was the biggest fail. First my husband was presented with someone else's room bill - of two nights stay, not one. It took my husband to point this out before an apology was received and another bill produced. This time the bill contained a number of anomalies. Again my husband pointed this out and the staff member seemed to know and promptly removed it. There was also some issue over double charging of parking. Again when challenged, the receptionist accepted that this should not have been present.

So all in all a pleasant enough stay with pleasant enough staff but this hotel needs to pay more attention to detail around its customer service.

Sorry Blakes - I wish I could have left a more positive review.

Room Tip: The Emperor Room 208 - amazingly comfortable bed. Goose down duvet and pillows.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry that the dominoes started falling in the wrong direction from the moment of your arrival.
I have taken all your points on board and will ensure that they are dealt with immediately.
I have tried to contact you directly to follow up and to prove to you that we can do better.
I look forward to hearing from you
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

the hotel has a very strong design aesthetic. My room was small and dark but cosy and comfortable. The shower curtain is a bit of challenge. But the reason for writing a review is the staff. They are professional and charming. I was extremely surprised to be so impressed by the hotel staff in London. Over the years I have become used to staff who are not interested in their roles or are too important to help guests. Blakes is totally different. Staff are personable and helpful. It made for a lovely experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
For a Hotel to function you have the Hardware and The Software!
The Software are the staff who work here and I am ecastic that we were able to look after you so well.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

With astonishing attention to detail this South Kensington boutique haven is a sultry and opulent 47 room residence, housing a dimly lit Modern European restaurant with Eastern influences. You can also order from the room-service menu and eat in the Chinese Room (a.k.a. the Opium Den) 24 hours a day. The hotel also offers a massage/ therapy room and gym. Blakes for me is not only a unique and bijou warren of sweet smelling beauty. It is now one of my favourite hotels to date and I very much look forward to visiting again. From the intricate character of each individual room, to the discreet yet attentive and charming staff ethos, this hotel is a gem and seductiveness personified.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your very complimentary review. I am over the moon that you thouraghly enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Quite simply a magical stay in The Corfu Suite on our wedding night. Despite it being winter the summery white room was extremely warm and inviting (underfloor heating a bonus!) The most comfortable bed, a vast bath in a well appointed bathroom, Bose television and audio systems and a handful of interesting books left for our perusal. Service is exceptional and food equally fine either as room service or in the restaurant.

This hotel is not traditional in the sense of some of the London greats (Savoy / Claridges) but is truly unique and wonderfully different to others. Stay here to get away from the hustle and bustle of the West End yet be within striking distance of Knightsbridge and the Kings Road.

Highly recommended. Not cheap, but a worthwhile investment for the most comfortable and luxurious hotel stay in London.

• Stayed December 2012
Many Congratulations on your wedding and we look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversary, if not beforehand!
I am delighted that you enjoyed The Corfu Suite, we are certainly more bohemian than the Savoy Hotel and we work very hard to be as charming as possible.
Julian

Been to Blakes Hotel? Share your experiences!