“Great Location, Wonderful Hotel, with a few flaws” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Garden Hotel

Save Saved
You added Royal Garden Hotel to your Saves list
Royal Garden Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2-24 Kensington High Street, London W8 4PT, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE ENGLISH BREAKFAST
Ranked #151 of 1,075 hotels in London
“Great Location, Wonderful Hotel, with a few flaws”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We spent a wonderful three days, two nights in the Royal Garden and it was a wonderful hotel, in a great location in London England. We had a King sized bedroom overlooking London (Not the Garden view) on the ninth floor and it was great! The street noise did NOT disturb at all, nor was there any noise or disturbance from the Restaurant on the 10th floor, which I had read a complaint about here on trip advisor from a previous guest.

We had no problem checking in early, and the hotel people were very professional and helpful. A map with directions was given immediately, a free newspaper, and when our hair dryer was malfunctioning, it was quickly replaced.

We did not get the breakfast (It is expensive) nor did we eat in the hotel, for we had other plans and tastes, but with so many options it was not a problem.

However, guests do need to realize several things:

One: the spa area, although nice was not what would be a four star spa in my ideal. It had a steam room and a sauna, which the floor boards were loose and hard to walk on (Separate for men and women)with three treatment rooms (Which were expensive and we did NOT get). The gym was well equipped, although without a TV as would be expected. and the oddest point was you must exit the hotel and go in a separate entrance right out in public. Not hard, but not the most convenient.

Two: We had to catch the Oxford Tube on Sunday morning very early. And although we could easily check out the night before, and did so, we had a taxi called for us so we could get to Victoria Station on time, but the taxi driver literally had no clue, and we ended up at the Oxford circle station with it being locked and we needed to be ON time!

I feel that the personnel at the desk (We did explain why we needed to be leaving so early), should have told us that one, the Undergrounds would be closed on that morning so early...and that it would have been nice to also have known a major bicycle race would affect traffic..... BADLY.... Nothing was said either way....

There is also no pool here, but that was no big deal....

We would however stay here again.... It was comfortable, the service was great and helpful and the location could not be beat.

It was well worth staying here!

Room Tip: Higher floors on the street views. The ninth floor was quiet King sized bedrooms are comfortably s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room on the 9th floor overlooking Kensington. I am also happy to hear that you found our staff very professional and helpful.

However, I am concerned to learn that the spa area didn’t meet your expectations. We are looking at ways to improve the service area, your comments have already been passed onto our Rooms Division Manager who oversees the Health Club.

I am sorry to hear that your taxi driver had problems directing you to Victoria Station; it seems that he got confused between the Oxford tube and Oxford Circus tube station.

Thank you for your comments regarding the Ride 100 bicycle event inspired by the Olympic Games that took place, closing 100 miles of roads in London and Surrey. This was a new event and whilst the main route was advertised some unmapped areas were also closed unexpectedly. We will however be far more aware for next year’s event – and able to guide our guests better.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes,

1,008 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and it was excellent. We wanted to go shopping in London and this hotel's position is perfect. Afternoon tea was verynice but dinner was pricey. On the whole, after checking other accommodation in the area, this was the best value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you had an “excellent” stay with us.
I am glad that you enjoyed our convenient location in leafy Kensington and that you had a nice Afternoon Tea experience at Park Terrace.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Hi my partner and I stayed here for one night in August 2013 ...we had a garden room which does not have a garden but amazing views over gardens

The room was spacious with a separate seating area so in effect a mini suite, we were on the ninth floor which gave us views of the palace and the park but the best view from the window seat was over the rest of the city including the London eye,Houses of Parliament,the shard the gherkin and canary wharf absolutely beautiful both by day and night .

In addition to the room Bertie's bar is very relaxing with great cocktails and min portions of good food to snack on .

The staff were friendly And welcoming the only fault we had in this stay was dinner at Ming Jiang the chinese restaurant on the ninth floor but I am not sure this is actually part of the hotel .....

Room Tip: Ninth floor garden room....amazing view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Royal Garden Hotel, especially your spacious room on the ninth floor overlooking Kensington Gardens and the delicious cocktails at Bertie’s bar.

I am however concerned to hear that your dinner at Min Jiang was the only downside of your stay. We would really appreciate if you could e-mail us at feedback@royalgardenhotel.co.uk with some more details about your experience. In this way we can investigate further and ensure that improvements are made accordingly. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

I look forward to welcoming you and your partner back soon.

Kind regards,

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We (my husband, myself and two kids) spent a week at the Royal Garden Hotel. The hotel is situated perfectly for young families - right next to Hyde Park. The hotel staff were very polite and had very good recommendations for restaurants. We stayed in one of the suites which was very comfortable for the four of us. We will definitely return to the Royal Garden Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us. I would like to inform you that we are currently improving our family friendly offerings at the hotel. Please look out for more information on these updates and future promotions through our newsletter.

I look forward to welcoming you all back.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

- room wasn't ready at check in time
- had to move rooms because the first room absolutely stunk of cigarette smoke, no one apologised for inconvenience however they did find us a new room.
- the second room hadnt even had the rubbish cleared from it, I dont expect to have full bins of personal rubbish from the previous guests in a supposed five star hotel! Disgusting!

This hotel is so far from a five star. The reception staff are rude but I must add that the porters and room service staff were completely charming and helpful.
Many other options in the area for a similar price so id recommend you do your research!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you found our Concierge and Room service team charming and helpful.

However, I am disappointed and concerned to learn that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. Please accept my apologies if you feel that any member of our staff did not offer the service that you expected. Your comments have been passed to the relevant managers, who have looked into and discussed it with the relevant staff. We apologise that you were not able to access the room until an hour after check-in. We always strive to maintain our five star levels of service regardless of how busy the hotel is. I would like to inform you that we are currently reviewing our smoking policy throughout the hotel, and will hopefully have an update for our guests soon.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming your back.

Kind regards,

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great hotel in High Street Kensington, and high street ken station is a very short walk across the street.

It's a little far from central, but you're right next to hyde park. If you want to take the Central line tube, walk across the park, and you'll get to queensway station.

The reason I gave this 4 stars is that there was some noise at night, you can hear everyone in the hallway.

I would book here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel, especially the convenient location of the hotel in leafy Kensington.

However, I am concerned to learn that your stay was disturbed by noise; our aim is to ensure our high levels of service at all times, so please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. We are constantly striving to maintain our standards and consistency of service and will review our policies accordingly.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have stayed in some hotels in London but this is the best so far. Now before you go saying there are better hotels - there are and I am sure that I will struggle to find them. For value, for cleanliness, for hospitality and location then I will be going back here.
The hotel is on the corner of Hyde Park and behind Kensington Palace. I like to run and i have always stayed close to the park but this is right there. There is also a good mix of shops, bars and restaurants around the hotel.
The rooms are small but hey that's London. The breakfast buffet is very good and the bar upstairs also has a good seleciton of drinks for a late night drink.

Room Tip: If you get the chance ask for a room overlooking the park. It may be more expensive but worth asking...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that the Royal Garden Hotel is the best hotel you have stayed at in London. I am also glad to know that you especially enjoyed our cleanliness and hospitality, the breakfast buffet at Park Terrace Restaurant, the good selection of drinks at Bertie’s bar and our convenient location.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Graham Bamford

Been to Royal Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!