“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #153 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Scotia, New York
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Really nice hotel. Large room with small sitting area that boasted big windows affording a view of Kensington High Street. Staff was extremely helpful with dinner reservations, directions, and overall tourist questions. Stayed three nights and could have stayed another three. Nice location, within walking distance to the park and the subway; taxis are readily available as well. Would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

First visit to the Hotel, as an experieince very good hotel in an excellent location. If you are a famaily of 3 the executive rooms overlooking the garden / park are great.

The Hotel is on the corner of Hyde Park Kenisngton side, no better location for quick access to the park.

We did not try any F&B facilities as we have family very close by, rooms are spacious very clean and access to and from the hotel is ideal. Only one negative comment i would have expected a better in room entertainment on the TV, true when in London you visit the sites, but when it rains would have been nice to have a better selection on the TV.

No hesitation will choose the same hotel again in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
sheffield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Staying at the Royal Garden Hotel finally in the early 1980's could not have meant more to me,
as an office junior in a Chartered Accountants office, in 1972 it was one of my duties to handle the travel arrangements to London, on the Master Cutler train from Sheffield to London and then make the hotel accomadation and meal bookings for the senior partners of the company, thats when The Royal Garden Hotel came onto my radar,
Telephoning and arranging the booking was always a thrill for me, the reservation staff were courteous and charming and I could not believe that I was speaking to someone in London, (I was only 17 at the time) I asked could they possibly mail me a copy of the Hotel details, I had to see this place for myself, and so they did from then I was smitten and vowed one day I would stay at this fabulous HoteI.I did on many occasions.
Fast forward to 2013 and after several wonderful stays here over the years , the bubble has burst,After an absence of five years we returned for a three night break and were met at reception on check in by total indifference, not the usual RGH experience we had known previously, and on the internet deal criteria we were entitled to, only wifi was made known to us, and rather as an afterthought, no daily newspaper materialised, and no supplementary meal vouchers offering us a discount for lunch or dinner were given to us, not good enough.Our room was adequate, but there was no wow factor, it seemed narrow.and on our last night a funtion held in the restaurant on the 10th floor emitted smells that filtered down to our room, not pleasant.
Changes have been made to the bar area adjoining Park terrace turning it into a rather uncomfortable cafe, where are the fabulous comfy sofa's where we enjoyed drinks until late, and delicious club sandwiches and tasty light meals, Beries bar is still there, but it is not a place to linger.There is no lounge to relax in.
Our experience was not a happy one, and one we will not repeat, after illness over the past couple of years prevented me from travelling too great a distance, when I was able we thought that trip to London would be in order, sadly we chose the wrong Hotel to spend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you taking the time to review your stay with us. I am disappointed to read that this recent stay did not meet your expectations; I believe that we have been in contact both before and after your stay to respond to your requests and comments.

We do offer complimentary daily newspapers to all guests which can be found in the lobby and restaurant entrances. Lunch and dinner discount vouchers are indeed available to guests on the promotional rate booked and I understand these were in fact issued the next day and I apologise for not having issued these to you on arrival. Our guest relations team are always available to address concerns during your stay.

Please accept my apologies once again.

Kind Regards,

Ringwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We 'ended up' at the Park Terrace restaurant on a voucher deal, as the hotel we were staying in had shut it's kitchen for August! ( the supposed 5* Cadogen ) it turned out lucky for us ! The 4 of us enjoyed a fabulous meal - cocktail, 3 exceptional courses, cheese, coffee and petit fours. Terrific value (£60 for 2) excellent service from Michael, who made us feel most welcome. (We never once felt we were 'on a deal') Will definitely return to stay, next time we visit London.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Park Terrace Restaurant. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your meal and that your waiter Michael made your experience extra special.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Kind regards,

Amman, Jordan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel makes it one of my favorite in London. Staff are friendly and the beds were comfortable. My Room was within acceptable standard size. Just outside the hotel was a bus stop, underground was 300 meters away on the other side of the road.I do recommend this hotel

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I used to stay at the Royal Garden often but that was back in the 90's. Now some years later it was great to come back and to a property that is these days hard to fault.

As everyone will agree, the location is great, next to Hyde Park. There is a bike rental station just a little way into the park. The bus stop outside the hotel hosts a number of routes and the top deck on a London bus is a great way to sightsee Park Lane and Oxford Street (No 10 bus) or Piccadilly, Trafalgar Street and the Strand (No 9). Get a Oyster card and the buses and trains are easy. The High Street Kensington tube station is a short walk down the street to the right and if you take the tube to Heathrow with luggage then changing District line trains at Earls Court and again at Barons Court is a breeze to get onto the Piccadilly line for Heathrow.

To the hotel and we couldn't fault it. The staff were friendly, professional and efficient. We went for a park view king room and ended up with a great view from the 5th floor. The room for London was spacious and well looked after. The complimentary waters on the bedside table after the evening turn down service were a nice touch. We booked direct via the hotels website and got what we thought was a great three night weekend rate (for a five star hotel in summer in London). Booking online gave us the inclusion of complimentary internet but you have to remember to ask for the access card when you check in.

We didn't use any of the bar's or restaurants but the top floor Chinese restaurant and bar offered great views of the park, perfect for lunch or an early summer dinner or drink.

We had a great experience here and I hope it won't be another 20 years before I'm back again.

Well done, Royal Garden, still great after all these years.

Room Tip: Garden/Park view would be best and probably the higher the better to get away from the busy road noi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ridgefield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had a very pleasant time at The Royal Gardens Hotel. I reserved a king garden room and twin garden room for my family. Both rooms were very nice and while the hotel could not work it to have the rooms adjoining, they were a couple rooms apart. Beds were clean and comfortable. Bathroom was nice and clean. A couple stains on the carpet were the only blemishes to the room. Even though we stayed in early August the hotel was not fully booked and the rooms were very quiet for sleeping (Once Ramadan is over, the hotel gets a lot busier with guests from the Middle East I was told). Air conditioning worked well as we had a hot spell in London when we arrived.

I have to mention that the gentleman working the concierge desk were very helpful during our entire stay. We booked car service to/from hotel, dinner and tea reservations, London Eye, etc during our stay and they handled it very efficiently. John White, the assistant head concierge, even surprised us with truffles and drinks in our room as we were there celebrating my daughter's birthday. A nice gesture.

The rest of the staff from reception to the doormen, were very friendly and helpful.

Great location right next to Kensington Gardens. Convenient to High Street Kensington tube stop.

We will stay there again on our next visit. The only downside I would say was the breakfast. Very expensive for what you get (typical for a big hotel) and the quality of the food was not great (below 5 star rating IMO) although the staff were very attentive. We ended up eating at a little cafe down the road on our last day and wished we had made that decision earlier in the week as we would have saved a few hundred dollars.

Overall a great trip and hotel with very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are quiet and have nice view of the park. We stayed on the second floor (tree top leve...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I’m delighted to hear that you and your family had a pleasant time while staying with us. I am also particularly glad to know that John White in concierge has made your stay extra special.

We appreciate your feedback about the breakfast and I am really sorry to hear that this was the only downside of your stay. I have passed your remarks to the Food & Beverage Manager who will be monitoring the situation to ensure that the quality and consistency you experienced throughout the hotel is replicated at breakfast.

We hopefully look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Graham Bamford

Been to Royal Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!