“Luxurious” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Gore Hotel

You added The Gore Hotel to your Saves list
The Gore Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   190 Queen's Gate, London SW7 5EX, England (South Kensington)   |
Ranked #205 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Exeter
“Luxurious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 4 nights with work, my first visit to The Gore having stayed in most of the better hotels in S Kensington this summer.
Work had booked me into a single room which was on the small side but had a nice sized bathroom. Furnishings were good quality, but the TV was too small and of poor quality - my kids have better ones in their bedrooms! The window looked onto next door 3 meters away, and there was not even a view.
Buffet breakfast was very good quality and plentiful.
I ate in the restaurant on 1 evening and the food was also very good but pricey. I also ate room service and whilst the food was good and reasonably priced the choice of evening meals was shocking - the worst range I've ever experienced in a top hotel. When I queried this with the room service staff I was effectively told "that's it, tough!".
So what could have been a rare 5/5 review from me was spoiled by the room service (lack of), view (lack of) and TV (poor).

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Chiang Mai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

It was our 2nd time visiting London, and we chose The Gore as our base. We love the area of this hotel as it is right across Kensington garden, and not a long walk to visit all the museums. High Street Kensington station is not very far. We had a couple of meals here from breakfast to dinner. The foods were great and staffs were friendly. FO staffs were very friendly and professional. They assisted us in some occasion and everything went well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Small hotel with much character. Rooms individualized. No tissue in bathroom (why ??) Service at breakfast very slow and indifferent, and bacon hardly cooked ! Some staff very pleasant and helpful, but NOT all !

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

San Francisco Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We returned to the Gore last month and still love it! Our room was charming and the location is fantastic. We really loved having the library available to hang out with our London friends, meet up for a tea and a chat. It's a great amenity. I know my husband wished the bar had draft beer, so needless to say, we didn't spend too much time in there. Plus it was pretty quiet, we were the only patrons most of the time. But it's so gorgeous!

We brought our friend to The Gore as well and I have to agree with her that charging extra for the internet is a colossal drag! Just add it to the price of the room, if you need to. It's so passe to charge for this anymore.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Greenwich CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

This has been our dream to stay at The Gore for many years. For our 33 year anniversary, we made it! Our room was very small but wonderfully filled with history as well as modern conveniences. The location is the best for us, next to the Royal Albert Hall and opening night of the ballet Romeo and Juliet. Also, just across the street was the London Antique Show. I'd you want a larger spacious room, be prepared to pay top dollar or try a more modern hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Alrewas, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We only stopped 1 night, but would have liked to have stayed longer. It was our 1st stay at the Gore & was chosen by us due to its close proximity to the Royal Albert Hall (having previously stayed further afield & got incredibly wet trying to get taxi's from outside after concerts). We certainly hope to stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We booked The Gore for last Friday on recommendation from the Royal Albert Hall as we were attending a concert there. My booking was for a "Wonderful Twin Room' on a bed and breakfast rate of £285. As promised it was very handy for the concert. The staff were warm and friendly and the food in their Bistro 190 was very good. Unfortunately my Wonderful Twin turned out to be a double and when I said there must be some mistake I was told that the rather dilapidated leather sofa also turned out into a sofa bed. My mistake was in accepting this. I should have made a fuss and asked for proper twin beds but being quite an easy going sort of person I said I'd give it a shot...big mistake. Hideously uncomfortable night. I e-mailed the manager when we got home on Saturday and had hoped for some sort of explanation but so far no reply. Also worth noting that there are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, the TV was pretty old and didn't have the usual radio or red button facilites. All things I would expect for this kind of price. Also, although I asked by e-mail for a booking in the Bistro for 6pm when we got there it hadn't been made and they were fully booked. Fortunately the bistro is open all day so the best they could do for us was a very early dinner at 4pm so we didn't starve. In retrospect it was the staff who saved the day, if they hadn't been so kind and cheery this would all have been a disaster which would have been a great pity because it was a special night out for my husband and me.

Room Tip: Avoid 302 with the dodgy sofa bed.