“dissapointing breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Gore Hotel

You added The Gore Hotel to your Saves list
The Gore Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   190 Queen's Gate, London SW7 5EX, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)   |
Ranked #207 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Hornchurch, England, United Kingdom
“dissapointing breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed at the Gore two years ago for a visit to the Royal Albert Hall and it was a wonderful experience. There was a DJ in Bar 190 and everyone was dancing. This time though it was not as good, just recorded music and little atmosphere. Also the English breakfast was disappointing, after waiting 20 minutes it arrived barely warm and no sausage, but without explanation or apology. Overall the staff are friendly and efficient and the rooms are comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

My colleague and I booked this hotel as it was so close to the business conference we were attending. We were both very excited having looked at the hotel's website. When we arrived we were shown to our rooms by the porter who was very helpful. The good service unfortunately ended there. The first disappointment was that both of our rooms were so small we could just about walk around the single bed and the bathroom / shower room I mean! had a curtain separating it from the bedroom. There was no tea or coffee making facilities. I can't comment on the dinner menu or service in the evening as we went out to oxford street to eat. The room was very hot and I had a generator outside my window which was so loud all night I hardly got any sleep but the following morning at breakfast was certainly an experience I won't ever forget. Firstly we entered the room and were told to sit anywhere as there was just one other guest having breakfast. During our breakfast 3 other guests came in and were told to move in a rude manner as supposedly some seating areas had been booked. We asked for 2 teas and got 1 tea and one cappuccino. We were not explained to regarding helping ourselves to yogurt and cereals in the centre of the room. We were shown the menu and asked for 2 poached egg on whole meal toast. Eventually when the waiter brought the poached eggs out my egg was so undercooked it turned my stomach so I asked for another and was told I should of asked for a well done poached egg!!!.i then waited again an age for another only to be given a hard rubbery poached egg. I took one bite and the taste of vinegar was so strong it took my breath away. I was so incensed by this time that I just got up and went to walk out when the waiter said thank you in a very pretentious way I just had to tell him what I thought of the breakfast. Thee was no apology just again an appalling attitude. We then went to our rooms to get our cases and check out at reception. I was still very angry after little breakfast and lack of sleep so decided to share my breakfast experience with the receptionist and manager on duty. I stay in hotels in London very often for business and I must say I will be going back to my regular premier inns where I know I will get a good night sleep, lots of space and great breakfast. I have never come across staff with such an superiority attitude towards their guests. I was totally appalled and can honestly say I will not be recommending this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Loved the warmth of the welcome. Loved the elegant room. Loved the fact that we weren't in a vast impersonal hotel. Loved the relaxing bar after our show at the Royal Albert Hall. Loved our stay. Thank you.

Salisbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night in February this year. It was beautiful! The staff could not have been more helpful and the room immaculately clean. The only gripe I would have was that our room was quite small, but I guess there is not much that can be done with that. Good overall stay and reasonably priced

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
belfast,n.ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

As a special surprise I booked my wife and I into the Gore for a 5oth birthday weekend. I had read all the previous reviews and liked what i heard coming from previous reviewers coupled with the fact that the Gore hosted the photo shoot for the Rolling stones Beggars Banquet album in 1969 it seemed to be right up my street. The weekend got off to an excellent start when on our arrival we had already been granted an upgrade to room 410 which inc. a magnificent four poster and period furnishing and as a special surprise a complimentary bottle of Rose and chocolates When I stay anywhere I like that place to present the character of the City or country that I stay in and the Gore certainly did that with an abundance of victorian charm and character in a classy way. No shinny floor tiles or modern wood effect flooring here just plush carpets and a highly patterned tiled entrance hall. The Staff were also friendly and charming and very helpful. Food in the restaurant was also excellent and with a 100m to Queens Gate in Hyde Park and close to shops and museums in Brompton Rd and Kensington it all added up to a very relaxed and most enjoyable gem of a weekend

Ipswich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We booked The Gore because of the location and style (as displayed on their web-site) On both accounts we were more than pleased with our choice. Our wonderful rooms were well situated, providing a warm and homely feel, with a great sense of quality and style. The staff made us so welcome, we felt as though we had been there many times before (yet this was our first visit). We enjoyed our chats with Trevor, who enlightened us with some great lines of history that this establishment has enjoyed. (Thanks Trevor) We will definitely be returning.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We booked at The Gore as we were going to the Blues Fest at the Royal Albert Hall. To our surprise the hotel was so close it was an easy and comfortable walk.
Arrival at hotel - well received - it is not large but staff were attentive, informative and very helpful. We had been warned "in advance" that they had a private function going on during the evening - but if we wanted to join in we only had to let them know to obtain entry. As we were off to the theatre we were not worried. At check-in they told us again which was kind. We walked to Theatre and had a fab night. The Blues concert with Van Morrison, Mick Hucknall and Ronnie Wood was just great. It went on after time and so we did not get back until after mid-night when the private party was really in full swing. Yes noisy but hey, they were young and enjoying themselves. My hubby wanted to go and join in - it looked so good. The theme was 40 or 50 or whatever the number is "shades of grey" and wow the costumes, dress code, or lack of was an eye to behold! Think that is why my husband wanted to join in!. We went up to our room which was on the front and nearly over the top of the party, and yes we could hear the disco until nearly 2.30am!! but lets be fair. The hotel had told us in advance, and yes, we were young once. The room was lovely - the bathroom towels so thick and luxurious. Sadly no tea and coffee making facilities but we checked this out on arrival and so purchased some Orange juice so we had got something when we got up. For a small hotel we enjoyed it and for close proximity to the Royal Albert Hall it is a must. Will definitely return. Breakfast sadly is not included in the rate and quite expensive a la carte - I guess that is the only fault as we do these days expect to get breakfast included.

Room Tip: Check if any private functions first.