“Charming, welcoming and photogenic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Gore Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Gore Hotel to your Saves list
The Gore Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   190 Queen's Gate, London SW7 5EX, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)   |
Ranked #164 of 1,075 hotels in London
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Charming, welcoming and photogenic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were nervous after some of the more recent trip advisor reviews, but our anxiety was unfounded. The staff were cheery and welcoming and facilitated an early check in, which after 2 long haul flights was greatly appreciated. The green room (the lounge) was a nice feature with newspapers, tea, espresso coffee, biscuits and water available for you to help yourself. If you order breakfast off the a la cart menu, it takes time to arrive- at least 30 minutes in our case, which may be a problem. the espresso coffee was great! Despite being on a busy street the room was quiet. It was a bit small, but this is normal for UK hotels. A European wall socket, as well as British, was useful for charging up the various electronic devices. Perfectly located for the Albert hall, and a 10 - 15 min walk to the tube station, made it a great base from which to explore. We would be very happy to return on our next visit to London.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

723 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Leyland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I ate at the Gore, almost.

A private function after an event at the nearby RCA. I'd been to the same function in previous years and it had been pleasant enough.
This year the food was very very poor.
Similar menu to previous years - mixed antipasto followed by steak or Veggie main and a dessert. Price per head the same as previous years.
This year the antipasto had transformed from a decent spread of meats and grilled vegetables to well - just meat. A few slices of parma ham and salami dumped out of its packet onto a serving platter, oh and two small stuffed vine leaves to share amongst 8 people.
The steak main came with absolutely no veg. The potato accompaniment was - a solitary crisp.
The veggie main was a spring roll lookalike chopped in two and a single asparagus.
Dessert was a minute slice of a bland cream thing, with a teaspoon of icecream.

Meal, if I can call it that, finished. Upstairs to the bar where they serve food. Asked if they can make sandwiches. No sorry its 10.35 and last orders for sandwiches are 10.30. 4 star hotel?
Suggested they call a pizza takeaway. Yes possible - but the bar manager's rule is no outside food in the bar. There is a room in the hotel that could be used - but only for residents.
By this stage the party broke up - in different directions - those lucky enough to be going back to their homes had toast to look forward to. The unlucky residents had the mini bar with a small pack of salt and vinegar crisps at 1000% markup.

Speechless.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Hey guys,

This is a review for all the people who try to avoid noise and trap when selecting a hotel. We were in transition between two flats in London and we called the Gore to spend one night. When we checked in and discovered the room, we simply understood immediately that the quality was not there for the price of 432 GBP we paid for a Deluxe room and an extra bed. To be very honest, the room is made of paper and you hear every noise from the hall, next door room, upstairs, downstairs and finally the street (Queens Gate is fairly busy). Even with the inside glazing, it did not help. Anyway, as our main priority is to have a quiet room, this hotel does not provide the level of comfort you need when sleeping. It is a very old hotel and rooms are very bad. We will never and ever come back to the Gore and if we had been in a 2 star hotel, we would have enjoyed more and for much more cheaper. I specifically called the reception before booking questioning about the level of noise and a lady said it was a very quiet hotel. A nice trap for us and a room sold for her. Do not come to the Gore if you think the rooms are made of stone. It is like if you were spending the night in a moving box. I do not understand what is the impressive thing about the Gore. Also, you still need to pay 20 GBP to have WIFI for 24 hours. Wow, most of the hotels are providing free WIFI now. I am now wondering what the breakfast will cost us if we take it. We just count the hours to leave the hotel tomorrow. We will however use ear plugs.

Room Tip: Just avoid the Gore unless you do not want to sleep or work. Go to Chancery Court in London or even...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Excellent location for the RAH, museums and Hyde Park. Everything was great, the only complaint I would have, was there are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room. I'd say the management underestimate the relationship us British have with our Tea! The coffee machine in the Green room was superb, but when your 5 floors up, it's 6am and you have a hangover, a cup of tea in bed is the only answer, sorry guys! However, this wouldn't stop me from re-booking, just will have to buy a travel kettle.

Room Tip: We were right at the very top, 506, and you have no through corridor traffic, nice and quiet,snug, b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I enjoyed staying at The Gore. The staff throughout the hotel was friendly and generally efficient, the room was well arranged with classical furniture and for London quite spacious, the bed was comfortable and the bedroom was large, clean and had an amazing shower (just for this I would go back). Even though I did not try the Bistro it probably is a good bet for dinner. I did try the bar which supposedly gets frequented by 'famous' people (like the Rolling Stones many moons ago). A good experience and I will definitely return. If there is one recommendation I would make to the hotel is automate internet connection (do not make guest call reception) and make it free (internet should not be a money grabber and I would consider 20 GBP / day excessive).

Room Tip: It probably makes little difference which room one has.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I loved this hotel for its location in Kensington. Great for shopping. Also the staff were super friendly and welcoming. I loved my room which for London was quiet and on a high floor. The breakfast is also fantastic as is the bar - both have very helpful service especially the guy who makes the espressos during the day. There is not fitness center so this might impact whether I stayed there for a longer period.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

------------------------------------------> EXCELLENT HOTEL <---------------------------------------------

I went to the Gore Hotel during one week with my friend, as a french women I like the chic and cosy hotel.
When I arrived in the Gore I understood that the hotel was better than all the best tripadvisor comments I read. The Concierges were very friendly and more than helpfull, (they showed me on the map the best shopping area, they did my restaurants booking, they even explaint to me the wonderful story of this "old" hotel. )
The receptionists were friendly and helpfull as well, very smily and polite, they looked happy to see us and made us feel special. Even the management team took time to speak we us and were ready to help.
The room was goregous you can feel the story of the building. It was spacious, cosy and really clean.
The Bistro and the Bar are really good places to spend time too, the meals and cocktails are delicious.
The location is lovely, in the center of London.
We will definitly come back to this hotel, and send our friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Gore Hotel? Share your experiences!