“Exquisite afternoon tea” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Milestone Hotel

You added The Milestone Hotel to your Saves list
The Milestone Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Kensington Court | Kensington, London W8 5DL, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)   |
Special Offer
4 nights for 3
Ranked #2 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Exquisite afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I arrived at The Milestone hotel, after a long walk from South Kensington. I underestimated the walk and I was left feeling quite out of breath. As soon as I arrived at The Milestone, I was greeted by the doorman, and then upon arrival into the reception I was promptly shown into the park lounge. I was seated in a beautiful position, in front of a large painting, which I have tried to capture in the photo I have taken. The décor is honestly what dreams are made of, I honestly cannot fault it.

The Milestone is a member of The Red Carnation group, and I have had afternoon at The Egerton House hotel before which again was lovely, so there is something The Red Carnation group are doing that others are simply missing! Unfortunately I have forgotten all names of the servers, but I could not fault them. The waiter explained the menu to me, I then decided on the Champagne tea, and the champagne was brought out promptly. Firstly the sandwiches and patisseries (shown by the photo) were brought out first, along with the tea. After I was finished with the sandwiches, the scones were then brought out.

I honestly cannot fault the service; nothing was too much hassle for the staff! Every need was seen to, and my tea was topped up as soon as I asked. The bill was around about £50, and what I love about afternoon tea is it gives you a glimpse into some of the finest hotels in the world, without actually staying at the hotel at a higher expense.

The toilet facilities were also beautifully furnished, with hand towels, and handwashes and body lotions. The hotel is in a prime Kensington location, a stone’s throw from the Royal Albert Hall, and within walking distance to South Kensington.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
I was delighted that you enjoyed your recent Afternoon Tea at The Milestone Hotel. I was delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and have passed on your kind words to all of the food and beverage team in the hotel. I was also really pleased that you found all of our facilities to your liking. Please do visit us again soon.
Andrew Pike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This hotel is like staying in a wonderful manor home. The staff is exceptionally warm, courteous and helpful. The location, across from Kensington Gardens, is an oasis in the city of London. Our room faced the Gardens and had a small lower level with a lounge and a second television. The bathroom was good size with a great shower head in the tub/shower combination. The High Street Kensington tube station was within easy walking distance.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind words following your recent stay at The Milestone Hotel. I was really glad that you enjoyed our genuine hospitality and the location and facilities of the hotel. Myself and all of the team look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near furture.
Many thanks,
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

i ve stayed in five stars hotel all over the world, and this is in the top 2, everything was just simply fantastic. They did everything to make my stay (with my family) unforgettable. i will stay there again any day

Room Tip: the regency suit
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us at The Milestone Hotel. I was delighted that we have come in your top 2 hotels of all time. We always try our hardest to meet our guests high expectations and was really pleased to read that we have acheived this. I have passed on our kind words to my brilliant team at the hotel and hope to get the chance to welcome you back again in the near future.
My best wishes,
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Just returned from a week at The Milestone Hotel in London. What a fabulous place to stay. I felt like I was staying at a private manor, instead of a commercial hotel. It was lovely, and the staff was so polite and accommodating that I felt like I was an important diplomat waiting to meet the Queen. It was a perfect visit to London. I loved the location of the hotel, across the street from Kensington Gardens, and walking distance to Harrods, shopping and some great restaurants. Cabs were super easy to find, and the hotel food was actually one of the best places to eat in town. I would highly recommend staying at The Milestone Hotel. I usually stay at the Four Seasons in each city I visit, as I love being comfortable. The Milestone is quite comparable to it in service and comfort. I loved feeling like I was staying in a private residence, instead of a large hotel chain. It had all the comforts of a large 5 star chain, and none of the crowd. It was pretty perfect! 5 out of 5 stars!!!!!

Room Tip: I didn't see all of the rooms, but the manager politely gave us a tour of the hotel, which used...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so very much for your kind words following your recent stay at The milestone Hotel. I was delighted that you felt at home in our beautiful hotel and enjoyed all of the facilities and service we provided you with. Please do come and stay with us again soon.
My kindest regards,
Stoneham, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed here 11-20 May in room 502. No doubt about it, everyone was exceptionally warm and informative but when I had to call maintenance about the lack of hot water the explanation was unacceptable for any hotel in this category. The technician told me the boiler was six floors below and that I should run it for ten minutes before using. Can you imagine the wasted water? They should have a booster DHW tank every two floors - especially considering its a hotel for goodness sakes. My room was so tiny they had doll house chairs - they were actually unsuitable to sit in for any adult by anyones standard. I've traveled the world and never have I seen such insultingly tiny chairs.When the bed was turned down for the night there was really no clear floor space distance without stumbling into those ridiculous tiny blue upholstered chairs. I had to do most of my computer work from the lobby library - fine but the same room was used for afternoon tea starting about 14:00 every day. As far as the food was concerned I only experienced the afternoon tea several times. After many experiences with London afternoon teas in various venues I can say nothing exceptional. The obligatory finger sandwiches: salmon, ham,
watercress and chicken salad were served on a three tier tree with the standard confections of the day. Certainly not noteworthy in any way, but the library itself is indeed quite nice. Kensington Gardens - across the street is my favorite walk to escape the hustle and bustle of London. One can walk for hours, stretch out on the grass for a picnic or watch the pick-up games of rugby, soccer, cricket, tennis and so on. Its graced by impressive monuments and well cared for. Taxis from Milestone to Harrods runs GBP 13 (+-) and to west end theaters GBP 16-20(+-) but frequent traffic jams because all the theaters there open at 19:00. Very few cabs accept cc's - bring plenty of GBP 1 coins to preventing off load delays making change since the smallest note is a 5'er. Back to the Milestone - please note they only affiliate with Virgin Atlantic and VA won't let you use miles on Virgin America making this useless for most all Americans. I was mislead by the staff on that when I presented my UA mileage plus card and they accepted it without telling me the truth.

Room Tip: Only the front facing rooms face the park. For better hot water on demand stick to lower floors.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the opportunity to share your review of your recent stay at the Milestone. I am pleased to note that you found my team to be exceptionally warm and informative and that you enjoyed our location which really works so well with London’s largest green space directly opposite but I am hugely concerned and disappointed that you did not have the overall experience of the Milestone that we are proud to provide the many guests who choose to stay with us.

I am genuinely sorry that you experienced a delay with your hot water. The hot water system at the Milestone should most definitely be able to deliver more than sufficient hot water to every room of the hotel regardless of which floor it is on and this is really not something that we receive such comments on as a rule. We most certainly should have been able to remedy this to your satisfaction and if there was any doubt we should have offered you an alternative room with minimal inconvenience. Each and every one of our rooms is individually decorated with bespoke furniture and original artwork. We try hard to match the perfect room to each guest and having now gleaned a clear understanding of your own preferences I’m quite sure that we could find a room that you would be very comfortable with.

I have noted your preference for a park facing room, interestingly we have a number of regular guests that prefer to be facing Kensington Court but we will always do our utmost to get this right once we know the preference. We do work hard to deliver a quality Afternoon Tea with every item made in our kitchens and reflective of the changing seasons so I’m sorry to note that you found it unexceptional.

Not being part of a huge hotel chain we are not sadly able to influence the decision regarding Virgin America air miles and I am confident that there was no intention to mis-lead you here. I do appreciate that this is an important factor for your decision of where to stay.

I really do hope that you will consider trying again as I am very confident that we can provide you with the same experience and level of comfort that a majority of our guests are very willing to attest to.

Kind regards

Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Milestone is one of the best hotels to stay at in London.
The services were excellent.
Breakfast was delicious and a traveler feels like it is their home when staying there.
We would definitely go back

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
I was really pleased to read your feedback following your receny stay at The Milestone Hotel. I was really glad to read that you enjoyed the hotel facilities and service including the great breakfast we serve. I was delighted we met your expectations and that you felt the hotel was your "home from home". Please do come and visit us again soon.
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Our 2nd visit this year to The a Milestone. The romantic turndown was very special with champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries. Thanks to all the staff at this wonderful hotel for yet again making our stay so lovely.

Room Tip: We like the Ballet Room, overlooking Kensington Gardens and the Palace - wonderful.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
I was really happy to read that , once again, we managed to meet your expectations following your recent romantic break with us at The Milestone Hotel. I was pleased to read that you liked the romantic turndown we provided along with the chocolate dipped strawberries and champagne. We look forward to welcoming you back, once again, in the near future.
Andrew Pike

Been to The Milestone Hotel? Share your experiences!