“convenient location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Milestone Hotel

You added The Milestone Hotel to your Saves list
The Milestone Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Kensington Court | Kensington, London W8 5DL, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)   |
Special Offer
4 nights for 3
Ranked #2 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Los Angeles, California
“convenient location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

the bus stop in front of the hotel is very convenient. the concierge is helpful. i suggest you contact them in advance for questions. the room is very clean and has nice amenities. the afternoon tea was disappointing. i thought it was expensive and not worth it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay with us at The Milestone Hotel. Whilst I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay I have noted your feedback regarding your Afternoon Tea experience. i hope that this will not deter you from coming to stay with us again in the near future.
Kind regards,
Andrew Pike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

If you are reading this review and wondering whether to stay at The Milestone or another hotel in London then stop looking! STAY AT THE MILESTONE! Forget the Savoy and the Ritz, they will not give you the amazing customer service and attention to detail you'd get at the Milestone.

My family and I have just had the most incredible experience at a hotel EVER! I book to stay one night to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday, but I wish we could have stayed longer.

Let's start at the beginning. Firstly we arrive about noon even though I knew our room wasn't going to be ready until 2pm but I had been assured we could drop our luggage off. On arrival we were greeted by the mist charming young lady who apologised and said our room wasn't ready but would be like to have a complimentary drink while we waited? Oh yes please we said! We were led through the charming bar and settled into the conservatory. Within seconds we were greeted by another charming member of staff who offered us any drink we liked. I plumped for a glass of champagne, my husband a gin and tonic ( he was offered about 5 different brands but plumped for Bombay Sapphire!) and my daughter a coke. We sat in the conservatory siping our drinks and enjoying the ambience of the surroundings. I honestly could've stayed there all day, calm, peaceful and beautiful. After finishing our drinks we were approached by the charming receptionist who apologised for keeping us waiting but they wanted to make sure our room was perfect so could they offer us another complimentary drink? Yes please! We then had the most amazing pot of coffee with the most melt in your mouth cakes and biscuits - what a way to start our celebrations!

I could carry on for pages, talking about the perfect room with the added touches of Penhaligons toiletries, the crisp, white Egyptian sheets, the chocolate cake made especially for my husband and even another glass of champagne from Alex & Jack at The Acorn Inn Evershot ( see my review for The Acorn - all part of the same amazing Red Carnation Group)

We ate at the hotel restaurant, small and intimate surroundings served by discreet but attentive staff. Food was sublime.

The attention to detail we received from The Milestone was second to none - it was perfect in every way and I didn't want to leave.

Don't keep looking for another hotel in London, save yourself time and just book the best there is - The Milestone - I guarantee you will not be not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a great review following your recent stay with us at The Milestone Hotel. I was so pleased to read that you and your husband enjoyed his 50th birthday celebration with us. I was delighted that we met your expectations and hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
With renewed thanks,
Andrew Pike
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We've just returned home from our fifth stay at London's finest and friendliest, five star Hotel, The Milestone, in Kensington. Having discovered this gem of an accommodation in June last year, my Wife, myself and our little Dog have returned repeatedly as and when we have and business or pleasure trips in the capital. Upon arrival at the Milestone you are treated so very special with friendly, helpful, smiling staff offering the warmest reception possible. Our rooms are always clean and spacious, extremely quiet and comfortable ensuring the best nights sleep possible. The breakfast is amazing with a wide choice of cereal, fruit, cold meats, cheeses, bread, yoghurts and of course probably the finest cooked breakfast you could ever wish for, prepared exactly as you wish. We enjoyed dinner on evening on this visit which surpassed our expectations, served beautifully, efficiently and tasting absolutely delicious. My tip would be the King Scallops to start, followed by Dover Sole as a main with the Soufflé as dessert. As always the Hotel Concierge led by José are on hand to advise and book anything you require, which is a huge help when unfamiliar with the location. Nothing is ever too much trouble for anyone at the Milestone. There are incredible antique pieces from all over the world on display throughout the Hotel, not only in the lobby, bar and reception, but also in every guest room, which the owners of the Milestone are delighted to share with you during your stay. On this occasion we had in our room some amazing original and unusual paintings circa mid 1800's. If you are looking for a first class accommodation in or around the Kensington area, I cannot recommend this fine Hotel enough and that is why we have returned repeatedly. It truly is a 'Home from Home'. We cannot wait until September when we return to London to see Kate Bush and of course, enjoy a further few nights at the Milestone Hotel with our new found friends.

Room Tip: A room with a small balcony is always our choice, but there really isn't a bad room to be had. T...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
I was so glad to read your feedback following your return visit to The Milestone Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review, It is truly appreciated. I have passed on your kind words to the team and I hope that you will be visiting us once again in the near future.
With renewed thanks,
Abdrew Pike
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Our stay at The Milestone was a surprise organised by my husband to celebrate my birthday. What a perfect choice he made! From the moment our taxi stopped outside the hotel, everything was absolutely perfect. The Concierge, the staff at Reception, the gentleman who gave us a little tour of the hotel, the beautiful room, the elegant High Tea, the first class dinner, the service.....Suffice to say, the attention to detail in every part of our stay was outstanding. We are fortunate to have spent time in some of the hotels in Europe and Asia often considered to be the best and, yes, they were lovely but The Milestone had a certain something extra to offer - something which left us completely unable to think of anything they could have done better. We couldn't even make that commonly used statement beginning "If there was one thing I would change, it would be......" because The Milestone had, as our title above says, ticked every possible box. Thank you!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
I was delighted to read your feedback following your recent stay with us at The Milestone Hotel. I was really glad to read that we met your expectations on your birthday stay in all areas and I have passed on your kind words to the team. Please do come and visit us again soon.
My kindest regards,
Andrew Pike, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Forget the usual tourist choices in London for afternoon tea The Milestone is a beautiful place to go for excellent service, a nice range teas and substantial amounts of sandwiches, scones and pastries. All this served in a traditional drawing room or the conservatory. Highly recommend

Stayed June 2014
Milestone_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your lovely review of our afternoon tea, I am very happy that you had such a good experience with us. Our afternoon tea is truly an experience from the room to the decor and styling of the surroundings you really do feel like you are having tea in a countryside manor.

We hope you will ocme and visit us again soon

Kindest regards

Geoffrey Wild
Deputy General Manager
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Briefly the good parts: lovely staff, good location, good breakfast and wonderful dinner
The not so good: some traffic noise from Kensington High Street, expensive, preference form is more or less ignored, rooms not sound proof enough, a little cramped for space.

In detail.
The good; wonderful staff, good food, great cocktails, convenient valet parking, good location near to Kensington Palace. Cosy atmosphere.

The indifferent: confused communications - three times we were given complementary items as an apology for small issues, each time we were either charged for them until I pointed this out, or we did not get the complementary service. Pointless preference form (until they follow it up properly).

I booked this hotel based on fantastic recommendations and rating. I had a King studio room with breakfast and romantic extras; the cost was 2 or 3 times what we usually pay in London for 5 star hotels, with similar facilities in good locations, but this was for an anniversary so we greatly looked forward to it.

I filled in a preference form well before the day of arrival; this form is tantalizing as you hope that the preferences will be recognised; I don't think mine were too ambitious- showing interest in impressionist art, historic buildings for example, so I hoped to get a magazine or guide for these. As it transpired apart from pillow choice none of the requests were recognised; had I known that would happen I would have taken a few of the items with us as we travelled by car so luggage was easy to add. I asked for a DVD that was only just out - they did not get it nor did they say they could not, so I brought it myself from the HMV store a short walk from the Hotel. Then found I could not get the DVD player to work so ended up taking up their offer of a free film on pay per view, which then appeared on the checkout (to be fair, once spotted they credited the cost). There is also a good "wholefoods" supermarket 10 minutes walk from the hotel where I could have purchased the stuffed olives I asked for.

I used the valet parking- slightly alarming to have the label for the car on arrival written out on the car bonnet but no harm done- otherwise a great service.

Arrival was friendly and efficient; Georgia on reception was charming. We were early so the room was not ready, but we left the luggage with instructions we would like it taken up when the room should be ready in 2 hours or so.
While waiting for the room we had a bite to eat in the Stables bar and glass of champagne - the bar was a little cool, our table had dirty glasses on it when we sat down so it was not as welcoming as I expected. Service was friendly; there was a little delay with the bar food due to some issue with the kitchen but it did not trouble us.
We then explored Kensington Palace, having booked ahead on line. We returned 3 hours later - well after check in time, shown to the room, but no bags. Bags arrived shortly after but they were not ours, which was a little worrying- however they soon found ours and all was well.
The room was nice - slightly out of date Philips 26 in flat screen TV (x2), (worn buttons on the remote control showing it needs to be updated) with a view of the park (but you need a higher floor than 3 to see the Palace). It also fronts onto Kensington High Street which is a busy road, buffered by good glazing so it was only a hushed background noise. Heavy curtains were very good.
The Studio part is a lower floor down steps with a couch that is really a spare bed, a TV and the mini-bar. Not much room for sitting save on the bed, so not ideal for watching a DVD if you bring one.
Despite being described as big, the room is a little tight for space with lots of furniture to manoeuvre around- not bad, but had it been on one level it would have been more useful space.
The package we had included complementary mineral water, which we prefer and often bring with us in case there is none. There was no water on arrival, no "fruit platter", no complementary cocktail offered. The water was quickly supplied in a pail of ice so that was fine- when I asked about the complementary water they said it only comes with the evening turn down service, (and indeed, it did appear later). Odd and not ideal if you are thirsty on arrival.

We pre-arranged theatre tickets and an evening meal which were a great success and credit to the concierge Jose who arranged this, thanks.

The package included a bottle of pink champagne and we had the foresight to bring a keeper to maintain the bottle as we had already had a glass of champagne in the bar.
The evening room service made the room special with a romantic flourish of rose petals, floating candles and music playing which was great; however it appeared the used empty champagne glasses were replaced with clean ones as had other glasses in the room we used- but instead they just covered the glasses with a dust cover as left; the hotel said we should have put them on a tray to show we wanted them replaced and/or they thought there was wine left in them but it seems odd given otherwise generally good attention to detail.
Over night I noticed the shower was dripping a little- so I checked it and found it had limescale on it which clearly should have been seen and cleaned - and was done so next day.
The bed was a king, comfortable.

Next day I reported the limescale on shower and drips, the hair dryer was not working properly and the apparent re-use of some of the glasses (had I known, there were more clean glasses in the cupboard over the minibar, which I found later). They were apologetic and got the points sorted.

Breakfast was nice- fresh juice, well cooked food, warm plates and good service - however slightly mean to serve tap water with the breakfast - most other hotels we have stayed at in this range automatically supply mineral water or filtered local water (they have since told me we should have asked for it specially, but that is not my point).

Second night was fine save that at 5am we were both woken by noise from the room above - we are not light sleepers so that is unusual- I cannot recall the last time we had that problem in a top hotel. Neil Anderson on front desk was surprised to hear and said he would definitely look into it and the management team would respond- they did, to deny it was the staff but my point is that the sound proofing should be good enough - it was more than audible- it woke us up.
It is necessary to have the air conditioning running as the windows, even if they opened would be onto the high street. It did not seem to have a "whisper" mode so it took a little getting used to on low setting- management said that was our fault for not allowing us to be shown the controls when we were "roomed" so it may be our fault but I have used many, many such systems in other hotels.

Overall there were too many little niggles for this cost and this reputation which spoiled it for us a little, sorry Milestone
Since this stay senior management have apologised, and we have been back to have the missing cocktails and a dinner "on the house" which were really splendid. They say they are looking to upgrade the technology in the room, and clearly some of the other "niggles" were just annoyances which to some extent are bad luck.

However in my view the best hotel has to earn its status, and part of that is value. We have since stayed at another boutique 5 star hotel in the same area, with better, bigger rooms (both public and private) at less than half the cost.

Unless I was spending most of the day in the hotel, so could appreciate the brilliant staff in Milestone, I would prefer to have equal or better comfort at half the cost.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Palace you need to be higher than 3rd floor once the trees have leafs. Che...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. I'm delighted you appreciated the staff and service, found the location convenient, and enjoyed our breakfast and dinner offering.

I am sorry you found us noisy as every one of our rooms has been secondary glazed to prevent possible disruption from noise.

Whilst we may occasionally drop the ball, we are committed to rectifying any shortcomings as quickly as possible and I'm sure we would have done our best to resolve these issues for you. I'm sorry that we did not, on this occasion, provide every item you were anticipating from your Guest Preference form.

We regularly price check ourselves against equivalent five star London hotels and I do believe we offer exceptionally good value for the prices charged. This is validated by many guests who chose to return to stay with us year after year.

Please rest assured that each point you've rasied has been discussed in detail with my management team and we are committed to ensuring we rectify all issues for future guests.

I'm pleased to note that we have followed up with you by way of an apology and am pleased that you've managed to find a hotel which delivers what you are looking for at a price you're comfortable to pay.
Osterreicher, Steiermark, Austria
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We changed from The Montague to The Milestone Hotel because the suite was in the basement.
We followed the offer from the Management of The Montague. They showed us an impressive picture and my husband said: "Oh, that should be one of the best in London." He read it at "trip advisor". So we took it.
Yes we had more space and yes we had a window, but we've got an very old "smelling" suite. The bathroom was tiny and the stuff - accept two - were not that friendly. But we wanted to enjoy our stay, so we made the best of it.
The price for a "tiny" steak was incredible and the steak itself was not that great. I think it's very hard to impress us, because we are living in a country with an high restaurant standard.
The next time we'll take our first choice in London - The Wellesley. If you have the money for the Montague (the first one we booked), you give a little bit more and you will get the best. High-priced but high level.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a review following your recent stay with us.

I'm pleased you liked the location of the hotel although I was hugely disappointed to note that we didn't live up to your expectations. We work hard to make each and every guest's stay special at The Milestone.

Understanding that you weren't able to stay at your preferred hotel, The Montague, I'm very sure we would have provided not only the equivalent accommodation to that booked but an upgrade to a higher category room. This was a highly unusual situation and I'm sorry you felt the suite we provided was not up to expectation.

We have been honoured to receive many comments from guests about the friendliness and genuine warmth of every member of my team and I'm sorry to note you did not have this same impression on this occasion.

We offer Cobe beef as one of our menu choices at, what we feel is, a very competitive price. We only use the highest quality suppliers for all of our produce. I am disappointed that we didn't have the opportunity to make amends on the night as we are committed to ensuring guests leave our restaurant fully satisfied.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Been to The Milestone Hotel? Share your experiences!